Greetings!

EHyde

Hello, I joined the site a while back but haven't done much of anything here, hardly even lurk. I'm a big fan of Sanderson's books although I'll admit to not having read his WoT books or Alcatraz, yet. This is probably a fairly standard introduction here -- I am not that great at coming up with random interesting facts about myself. I was at Vericon this past weekend so if I met any of you there, hello again!

I know Puck was at Vericon! I don't think there were any others, though.

That's okay, I haven't read Wheel of Time either yet. You're in good company here! Glad you could join us!

Thanks everyone! leinton, I'm glad you like my name -- it's actually the one I was born with. I'm one of those boring and/or crazy people who uses her real name online.

Thanks everyone! leinton, I'm glad you like my name -- it's actually the one I was born with. I'm one of those boring and/or crazy people who uses her real name online.

well, to be fair, hyde is a really cool name. Also, bonus points for your first name beginning with an E (Mr. Hyde's first name was Edward)

welcome E!

like you and Chaos, I pretty much only stick to Cosmere books. I've tried reading the WoT 3 times, and i stop mid book 8 or 9 every. time. I feel like some kind of failure (but not really. I'm OK with loving just those first 5 books). I did, however, just buy the Alcatraz series, so I'll be starting that. But hey, 17th Shard is for lovers of Brandon at every stage of canon completion cool.gif

welcome E!

like you and Chaos, I pretty much only stick to Cosmere books. I've tried reading the WoT 3 times, and i stop mid book 8 or 9 every. time. I feel like some kind of failure (but not really. I'm OK with loving just those first 5 books). I did, however, just buy the Alcatraz series, so I'll be starting that. But hey, 17th Shard is for lovers of Brandon at every stage of canon completion cool.gif

@Puck

@Chaos

I'll admit, books 8-10 are very downhill compared to the rest. I do assure you, however, that book 11 marks the rebirth of the series and 12 and 13 only get better. If you have time, it's worth it to trudge through. (And you will never get me to admit that I read more chapter summaries than actual chapters for books 8-10, although I don't discourage it).

@Puck

@Chaos

I'll admit, books 8-10 are very downhill compared to the rest. I do assure you, however, that book 11 marks the rebirth of the series and 12 and 13 only get better. If you have time, it's worth it to trudge through. (And you will never get me to admit that I read more chapter summaries than actual chapters for books 8-10, although I don't discourage it).

INDEED! My latest read-through I pretty much didnt read Perrin's plotline. 11+ though are EXCELLENT. :D

Agreed. Alos, if you are one of the people that is super annoyed by the White Tower chapters through the first 10 books, even that gets better in book 11 because they are finally called out on their woolheadedness. Any way, I won't say more for risk of unnecessary spoilers.

yeah. it's just... the 2 plot lines i couldn't stand - "perrin/faile" and "aes sedai/kin/windfinder/wise women politics" - became central and things i actually cared about - thom, rand, matt, asha'man, the forsaken, ya know... tarmon gai'don - seemed to fade into the background.

who knows? i might dedicate the summer to powering through the series one more time

yeah. it's just... the 2 plot lines i couldn't stand - "perrin/faile" and "aes sedai/kin/windfinder/wise women politics" - became central and things i actually cared about - thom, rand, matt, asha'man, the forsaken, ya know... tarmon gai'don - seemed to fade into the background.

who knows? i might dedicate the summer to powering through the series one more time

when it gets tough, just skip it...You might find you'll want to read it when you've got passed that bit >.>

I agree that books 8 and 10 of WoT went kind of downhill, but book 9 is one of my favorites.

Nothing wrong with using you're real name, especially if it is as cool as E. Hyde. As was said earlier here, Hyde's first name is Edward.

I haven't read WoT either. This number of commonalities between me and Chaos is getting scary.

Which clearly means that you ARE chaos, attempting to pretend to NOT be chaos and gain people's trust, for spying purposes. The only logical conclusion.

As for WoT, I think it'll be a lot easier to read the parts that people "don't like" because I don't have to wait at the end of, say, Book Ten for the next one.

Anyone here start in 1990 (when the series first began)? Because I feel kind of bad complaining about the wait I've gone through when I think about those who've been with it for... 21 years now.

I started late 90's. Read the first few (like 3 or 4 or something), until i was out of books to read, then forgot about it until mid 2000's and was like "oh crap! they're up to book 11!" and started reading furiously to catch up, and then while in the middle of that, RJ died and i was all "uhhhh....." not sure of what i should do. But i pressed on anyways, then they got brandon to get into writing it!

so in actuallity, i was only ever really WAITING since book 11, but technically i've been waiting 15-ish years, though most of that time was me forgetting the series existed.

I did start the series in high school and I made it through all that were out at the time (through Crossroads of Twilight I think). Then when the next one came out I couldn't be bothered to pick it up ... I did try to start the series again now that it's almost finished, but I only made it through book 6 this time.

I did know Hyde's first name was Edward ... apparently my parents didn't though -- that would have been my sister's name, had she been a brother.

when it comes to getting through books 8-10 there are only two words I have for you, Audio Books. I dont usually listen to a book before I read it but I consider WoT an exception, I only started it cause Sanderson was gonna be finishing it so I just listened to them as fast as I could and then went and read Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight.

• Chaos locked this topic