Gold Compounding and WoK

Rlain

We saw at the end of AoL that Miles had what appeared to be one of the visions from WoK.  He prophesised about the coming of men of crimson and gold.  I don't have my copy of the book on me at the moment.  But it seems very likely that he actually had one of the death induced visions.

What I'm wondering is if that was the first time he had one.  Since he's a gold compounder, it is quite likely that he had come inches from death before and gotten glimpses into whatever it is the dying see that cause them to speak out.  If he could, then the Lord Ruler could have had the same thing happen and may have known far more about the Cosmere than we thought previously.  

Thoughts?

While this could be similar to the death rattles of WoK, there are other explanations. I believe Miles is an Allomantic gold Savant and developed the ability to gather information about the world by studying his gold shadows. One example: lets say you know there is buried treasure somewhere in a huge field. So you roll some dice to pick a dig site then go excavate that plot. The treasure isn't there so you start burning gold. After skimming through hundreds of gold shadows in various empty holes, you run across yourself discovering a trunk full of Jewels. Look for landmarks around the gold shadow and now you know exactly where the treasure is.

I'm guessing the men of red and gold are from the Southern Continent and one of miles' shadows managed to find his way down there.

My pet theory is that his healing drastically extended death's door, allowing whatever force that communicates through this conduit to reach across vast amounts of (cognitive) space. The closer you are to this prophetic source, the easier it'd be to get one of these death rattles, because the connection would establish sooner.

Essentially, Rosharans have very low ping.

The problem I havewith the Miles-Death Rattle idea is that the start of the death rattles appears to be closely tied to events on Roshar.  They started at about the time that Gavilar was courting the Parshendi (according to Taravangian).  Seems like many things were set in motion at about that time (it is also the time where we pick up Kaladin's story).

• Chaos locked this topic