Shipping Kaladin

mirahound

So, I know I'm totally opening up an explosive topic here, but I'm curious. Is there anyone else that kinda ships Kaladin with Jenet (the woman in charge of Dalinar's horses, that started throwing rocks at Adolin)? I just think it would be funny, considering the way she was totally unimpressed by Captain Stormblessed. On a more serious note (or as serious as this topic can be), I think Kaladin needs a wife who will challenge him. Obviously Jenet has no problem with this ("You're the one they call Stormblessed? You need a haircut). 

Granted, we haven't seen much of her at all, and this is more a crack theory than anything, but what think you?

Personally I would like Syl to be his partner, but that would be impossible. Anyway, I just finished that chapter where he rode the horse with "spunk", looking back, I can conclude that Jenet is Adolin's previous girl. I would not want to see Kaladin getting Adolin's EX

Edited: Because very offensive.

Edited by Hoid Is Dead

Personally I would like Syl to be his partner, but that would be impossible. Anyway, I just finished that chapter where he rode the horse with "spunk", looking back, I can conclude that Jenet is Adolin's previous girl. I would not want to see Kaladin getting Adolin's "left-overs" - no offense intended.

I can definitely see the concern, but from the little we've seen of Jenet, I personally wouldn't feel like she was "left-overs". At least, she certainly wouldn't let Kaladin see her like that.  ;)

Well given that the scene is her only appearance(correct me if I am wrong), I don't have anything to say about her, given her attitude, it would be funny to see some character growth in her with Kaladin getting in quarrels. But I think it would be impossible because Kaladin is a

radiant (would focus on missions etc. and with the little possibility that will talk to jenet because he can fly and doesn't a horse

now. 

^ Only my opinion. 

Personally I would like Syl to be his partner, but that would be impossible. Anyway, I just finished that chapter where he rode the horse with "spunk", looking back, I can conclude that Jenet is Adolin's previous girl. I would not want to see Kaladin getting Adolin's "left-overs" - no offense intended.

Why would it be impossible for Syl to be his partner? If the bond can keep increasing, as he hasn't said all 5 oaths, why wouldn't they be able to be together? Does it have something to do with just being a Spren in general?

Why would it be impossible for Syl to be his partner? If the bond can keep increasing, as he hasn't said all 5 oaths, why wouldn't they be able to be together? Does it have something to do with just being a Spren in general?

Yeah, because she is a spren, there would be no real physical contact between them. I couldn't really say, but I think that's it.

Yeah, because she is a spren, there would be no real physical contact between them. I couldn't really say, but I think that's it.

Isn't there a WoB that says Syl can turn into anything with a person sized mass/area? I thought that was the limit, and so I guess they could have contact if she formed herself correctly... But then could she move, or would she be a statue?

Isn't there a WoB that says Syl can turn into anything with a person sized mass/area? I thought that was the limit, and so I guess they could have contact if she formed herself correctly... But then could she move, or would she be a statue?

She did that in WOR(SCARS 41) but still too insubstantial, I don't know about WOB, what is WOB any way? 

i don't think kaladin is ready for a relationship right now. He's been hurt a lot in the past, and he reacted by closing in himself. To have a relationship, he'd need to learn to trust people again, and also to let down his defences, become vulnerable, let someone in. It will take time. The first step is to have freinds again. He haven't had one in a long time, only underlings and people he was trying to protect.

Not to say there is no way he can get into a relationship, but I don't see such a relationship go well. kaladin's attitude would cause a lot of strain.

It'd be kinda weird for your girlfriend to be that talking spren superglued to your very soul that people normally can't see.

The term Soulmate isn't supposed to be taken literally . . . :ph34r:

It would definitely be weird, but not necessarily impossible. Right now, the spren are not human-like enough, but all the ones we're seeing are getting more and more human with the progression of the bond. If they got human enough, then I, for one, would have no problem dating my spren. Yes, the lack of physical contact would be frustrating, but to me love is directed towards someone's personality, and therefore it does not require a physical body. The main limitation i see to this is how human-like the spren can eventually become. Can a spren even return love? can it feel romantic love as something different than the sharing of a nahel bond?

I made a thread on that one year ago

www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/17057-loving-a-spren/

Offense intended or not, that's a pretty awful way to look at people in general, relationships, just about everything.

Towards the Syl/Kaladin relationship. I mean, he can hold her when she's a Blade now. And her in hammer form breaks Szeth's bones, doesn't cut him. So there's no reason i can see why this wouldn't work.

I can definitely see the concern, but from the little we've seen of Jenet, I personally wouldn't feel like she was "left-overs". At least, she certainly wouldn't let Kaladin see her like that.  ;)

OK.... Sorry but Jenet is not Adolin's left-overs... nobody is. Besides, girls broke out with Adolin, not the reverse. If anyone should be called a "left-over" that would be Adolin, but that besides the point. It is just not a nice way to say it.

That being said, I don't think Kaladin is ready for a serious relationship. He is too focus on his task and there is clearly no room for him to share anything meaningful with anyone, no matter who that would be. Perhaps, someday, he'll get there, but in the near term, I would pity the girl who start dating Kaladin.

OK.... Sorry but Jenet is not Adolin's left-overs... nobody is. Besides, girls broke out with Adolin, not the reverse. If anyone should be called a "left-over" that would be Adolin, but that besides the point. It is just not a nice way to say it.

That being said, I don't think Kaladin is ready for a serious relationship. He is too focus on his task and there is clearly no room for him to share anything meaningful with anyone, no matter who that would be. Perhaps, someday, he'll get there, but in the near term, I would pity the girl who start dating Kaladin.

Offense intended or not, that's a pretty awful way to look at people in general, relationships, just about everything.

Towards the Syl/Kaladin relationship. I mean, he can hold her when she's a Blade now. And her in hammer form breaks Szeth's bones, doesn't cut him. So there's no reason i can see why this wouldn't work.

Sorry man, I can see where my comment went too far. Its just in my perspective, that I prefer an ideal relationship, i.e. no previous relationship/attachments or whatsoever (MY perspective). As for giving her the physical contact, I totally overlooked that kaladin can hold her while she's on that form. But if that's the case, wouldn't that relationship will just be the same as Vasher and Nightblood? Once again sorry. 

Sorry man, I can see where my comment went too far. Its just in my perspective, that I prefer an ideal relationship, i.e. no previous relationship/attachments or whatsoever (MY perspective). As for giving her the physical contact, I totally overlooked that kaladin can hold her while she's on that form. But if that's the case, wouldn't that relationship will just be the same as Vasher and Nightblood? Once again sorry. 

Please expand your thoughts. Why does it matter if Jenet once dated Adolin? Clearly it did not work, so there is not previous attachment... That's precisely Adolin's problems: he can't get girls to like him. Should the only potential girls for Kaladin be girls who never dated anyone before? That just does not make sense...

As for Kaladin and Syl, she is a spren. She can't give him human contact, any human contact including wild flowers picking. I won't expand, but I'll leave to people's imagination to what I may be referring to.

well, holding a sword or an hammer just isn't the same thing...

but then, pleasure is much more a pshicological thing than something connected to actual physical sensation. I'd much rather hold an incorporeal girl-shaped syl than caress the handle of a shardhammer. I have strong protective instinct towards her frail-sad-sweet-girly-girl form; I do not have the same kind of instincts towards a sword, even knowing it's the same entity.

@ "left-overs": I have the belief that people are different and have different needs, and they will find a partner with whom they reciprocally fulfill each other's needs. Or maybe they'll never find the right person and remain single, which is vastly preferrable to having a partner that doesn't fit. The idea that people have a "ranking" for partner's value, and that people of the higher ranking will get each other and people of lower ranking will get what is left... well, i know there's many people believing like that, and even a lot of cultural pressure for that kind of idea (concepts like "that girl is above you" or "that guy is a good catch" or the whole idea of "trophy wife"). But I find it horribly sad. What kind of menaingful relationship can you have with somebody who has nothing in common with you except being beautiful and rich? Must be the reason why the celebrities keep hooking up and breaking up with each other.

EDIT: @ hoid is dead: if there was a clean break and no attachment left, I don't see how previous relationships could be a problem. In fact, I'd rather have a girl who's been around: she tried a few (several?) partners, and she didn't liked them, but she likes me, and that has to mean something. While a girl at her first experience (especially considering I'm 29 and a potential match for me should not be much younger) may as well have hooked up with me because i was the first to show interest in her, or because she was afraid she'd go old without having anyone.

@ maxal: yeah, they can't neither cuddle nor have sex. Is that really an impassable obstacle? Suppose, as an hypothesis, that your husband has an accident and remain paralyzed below the neck. Then he becomes unable to have sex with you (yes, I know that, depending on the exact disbility, there may be ways around that, but let's just pretend for the sake of the hypothesys), but I don't think you'd dump him for that reason. You can think of dating syl as dating a person with a physical disability: if you care enough for that person, you make it work somehow.

Edited by king of nowhere

Please expand your thoughts. Why does it matter if Jenet once dated Adolin? Clearly it did not work, so there is not previous attachment... That's precisely Adolin's problems: he can't get girls to like him. Should the only potential girls for Kaladin be girls who never dated anyone before? That just does not make sense...

As for Kaladin and Syl, she is a spren. She can't give him human contact, any human contact including wild flowers picking. I won't expand, but I'll leave to people's imagination to what I may be referring to.

I know i know, but for me, as I once stated, it is on my opinion. I grew up in a very traditional household, so as I grew up, "purity" is very important. I don't really know if Adolin gets her hands on Jenet but setting that aside, can you at-least picture yourself having a relationship with your boss's ex? So it is a matter of perspective, anyway, Jenet doesn't have any thing else to offer as for the moment, so I can't say anything more.

Edited by Hoid Is Dead

I know i know, but for me, as I once stated, it is on my opinion. I grew up in a very traditional household, so as I grew up, "purity" is very important. I don't really know if Adolin gets her hands on Jenet but setting that aside, can you at-least picture yourself having a relationship with your boss's ex? So it is a matter of perspective, anyway, Jenet doesn't have any thing else to offer as for the moment, so I can't say anything more.

By purity, you mean virgin right? I sincerely doubt Adolin has gotten anywhere pass first base with any girls. For one, he dated them for less than a few days, for second, he is horribly shy with intimacy (no man with experience would turn red at receiving a peck on the cheek. I am relatively sure Adolin is inexperienced, Kaladin however.....), for third, he is expected to not fool around in such manner. I am therefore sure Jenet is rather "pure".

As for the rest, I see not reason why I should not have a relationship with my boss's ex. She or he would be her or his ex. If I like the person and if I feel as the relationship may work, I would certainly not limit myself because the individual has pass stories... I mean, once you exit the teenage years, basically everyone has exes. So if you want someone pure your age, then good luck.

By purity, you mean virgin right? I sincerely doubt Adolin has gotten anywhere pass first base with any girls. For one, he dated them for less than a few days, for second, he is horribly shy with intimacy (no man with experience would turn red at receiving a peck on the cheek. I am relatively sure Adolin is inexperienced, Kaladin however.....), for third, he is expected to not fool around in such manner. I am therefore sure Jenet is rather "pure".

As for the rest, I see not reason why I should not have a relationship with my boss's ex. She or he would be her or his ex. If I like the person and if I feel as the relationship may work, I would certainly not limit myself because the individual has pass stories... I mean, once you exit the teenage years, basically everyone has exes. So if you want someone pure your age, then good luck.

Well it is really about luck, and I consider myself lucky. I'm looking forward for my wedding day. As you say about Adolin's shyness, I think you are right, but my opinion stands because it  we really do not have anything else about Jenet and him. What do you mean about Kaladin? Is there something I am missing? Please share! As for your last sentence, I think it really varies in the individual.

It is made clear to us through Adolin's and Shallan's interactions that Alethi propriety dictates relatively little physical contact between two romantic partners before their wedding. The time Shallan returned from the chasm, Adolin hugged her, which was the most physically forward he had ever been (with her at least). By the end of the book, we can assume that Shallan is one of the women whom Adolin has dated for the longest time, although this speculation is based only on the time passed between Adolin's courtships in WoK (talking about Janala, Malasha or Danlan within the space of a few hundred pages). It's likely there have been many courtships prior to WoK, some of which may have been longer in duration.

Regarding Kaladin's supposed experience, we are given more insight into his past courtship with a woman named Tarah than we are into any of Adolin's courtships. Kaladin several times remarks to himself that he made mistakes with Tarah, or that the physical proximity to Shallan in the chasm was the closest he had held a woman since Tarah. Clearly, there had been some physical intimacy between Tarah and Kaladin, although there are (frustratingly) no flashbacks showing us any of their interactions.

Through this, it's possible to speculate that Kaladin may have more romantic experience than Adolin, albeit probably having had fewer partners. It's possible that the Alethi sense of propriety doesn't extend to darkeyes, and as a lighteyes of very high rank, Adolin is most likely expected to marry a virgin, if not remain one himself (there are whorehouses in the warcamps, so I would consider it unlikely that ALL unmarried lighteyes of high rank are actually virgins).

I think what maxal is trying to say is that in our world, the vast majority of people in the western world (and this doesn't include extremely orthodox christian places) date more than one person in their life. For many people who are not so 'traditional', the idea of going until their wedding day a virgin is relatively uncomfortable. For women (like me) for example, the first time is often quite painful, and it's only with experience that romantic intimacy can become pleasurable. Not to speak of having sex with a virgin, which to some people isn't as fun as having sex with someone experienced.

Adolin and Shallan live in a world where it is expected of you to remain 'pure' until your wedding day, so we can assume that Jenet and Adolin haven't had any extensive intimacy. Very little information has been given about propriety like this in darkeyed society, but since whorehouses are most likely extensively populated with darkeyed women, it's possible that darkeyed lovers are physically intimate before their wedding, or indeed are physically intimate with people they won't marry. 

On a side note, if Jenet is Adolin's 'left-overs', then every other woman in the warcamps is too, including Shallan. So you would prefer if Kaladin dated Syl? I must say I'm profoundly disturbed by the notion. I always viewed the relationship between Kaladin and Syl as more of a brother-sister relationship, and I've never picked up on any romantic undertones between the two. Would you also support Shallan dating Pattern?

It is made clear to us through Adolin's and Shallan's interactions that Alethi propriety dictates relatively little physical contact between two romantic partners before their wedding. The time Shallan returned from the chasm, Adolin hugged her, which was the most physically forward he had ever been (with her at least). By the end of the book, we can assume that Shallan is one of the women whom Adolin has dated for the longest time, although this speculation is based only on the time passed between Adolin's courtships in WoK (talking about Janala, Malasha or Danlan within the space of a few hundred pages). It's likely there have been many courtships prior to WoK, some of which may have been longer in duration.

Adolin has been dating Shallan for a few weeks only. It should be assumed he has dated other young women for a few weeks as well. His entire discussion with Kaladin leads me to believe he has not set a longevity record just yet: he clearly states how everything always goes fine, in the beginning. It has led me to believe Adolin still considers his relationship with Shallan as "in its beginning", though his entire reaction to her forwardness makes me think he has not been close to many of those former dates... While being in the chasm, Shallan wonders if the ordeal would be sufficient to prompt Adolin to be more physically forward. It did, but it was not enough for her: she initiated the kiss which flabbergasted Adolin.

I am not even sure he even kissed many of those former dates as the only reason it happens with Shallan is because, being Veden, she is more forthcoming with it.

Regarding Kaladin's supposed experience, we are given more insight into his past courtship with a woman named Tarah than we are into any of Adolin's courtships. Kaladin several times remarks to himself that he made mistakes with Tarah, or that the physical proximity to Shallan in the chasm was the closest he had held a woman since Tarah. Clearly, there had been some physical intimacy between Tarah and Kaladin, although there are (frustratingly) no flashbacks showing us any of their interactions.

Through this, it's possible to speculate that Kaladin may have more romantic experience than Adolin, albeit probably having had fewer partners. It's possible that the Alethi sense of propriety doesn't extend to darkeyes, and as a lighteyes of very high rank, Adolin is most likely expected to marry a virgin, if not remain one himself (there are whorehouses in the warcamps, so I would consider it unlikely that ALL unmarried lighteyes of high rank are actually virgins).

Somehow knowing Kaladin used to hold Tarah close to him while laying down leads me to believe he does have some experience... as least third base... Adolin shies away from a simply hug: he has not moved to the cuddling/foundling stage just yet. If he had, he would not blush madly because of a simple kiss and he would be more adventurous. Shallan practically had to force his arm around her and his hands were quite firm on her back... You don't get any more prude than that.

I agree it is frustrating not to know more about Tarah. 

As for the whorehouses, Adolin clearly states, after declining the prostitute offer back in WoK, his father would kill him where he to accept. I strongly suspect virginity is expected from both the man and the woman in high ranked Alethi unions, unless both parties are older. For instance, I seriously doubt the Blackthorn was a virgin when he married Shshshshsh. Adolin, however, still being in his young twenties and having shown himself to be rather uncomfortable with intimacy surely is one. As for the unmarried lighteyes, I'd like to point out most of them marry while being in their teens. It is likely there isn't many young men Adolin's age who do not have a wife, yet.

It could be the darkeyes are not so uptight about it, but it does appear as if the lighteyes are.

I think what maxal is trying to say is that in our world, the vast majority of people in the western world (and this doesn't include extremely orthodox christian places) date more than one person in their life. For many people who are not so 'traditional', the idea of going until their wedding day a virgin is relatively uncomfortable. For women (like me) for example, the first time is often quite painful, and it's only with experience that romantic intimacy can become pleasurable. Not to speak of having sex with a virgin, which to some people isn't as fun as having sex with someone experienced.

This is exactly what I meant. Most people, in the western world, do not marry young if they marry at all. The average age for marriage, in Canada, is close to 30 years old. At that age, pretty much everyone has had one or more relationship with complete intimacy. Most of couples who do chose to marry have lived together for years and many already have children. And yes, the first time hardly ever is the "best time" and that is true for both men and women. Men can have it hard the first time, it may not involve pain, but other issues.... Making love is an art you learn to master, with time and practice.

Truly, finding a "pure" person pass the age of 25 is difficult. Not impossible, but difficult. However, it raises the question as to why the woman needs to be a "virgin". As if a woman with a past relationship (or several) is a lesser human being not deserving the attention of the "greater men" of this world. 

On a side note, if Jenet is Adolin's 'left-overs', then every other woman in the warcamps is too, including Shallan. So you would prefer if Kaladin dated Syl? I must say I'm profoundly disturbed by the notion. I always viewed the relationship between Kaladin and Syl as more of a brother-sister relationship, and I've never picked up on any romantic undertones between the two. Would you also support Shallan dating Pattern?

The issue with qualifying Jenet a "left-over" is it labels her as an inferior woman not deserving mighty glorious Kaladin simply for having dated Adolin... Even if they had fooled-around in the hay (which I am convinced they haven't), I seriously despise the idea it makes her unworthy of certain males... Who should date Jenet then? The scums because the "perfect men" should not lower themselves to consider her for fear of soiling themselves on her impurity?

Adolin has been dating Shallan for a few weeks only. It should be assumed he has dated other young women for a few weeks as well. His entire discussion with Kaladin leads me to believe he has not set a longevity record just yet: he clearly states how everything always goes fine, in the beginning. It has led me to believe Adolin still considers his relationship with Shallan as "in its beginning".

By my own time reckoning, Adolin and Shallan cannot have dated for much longer than a month at the end of WoR, so I agree their relationship would by our standards still be in it infancy. I will point out that it is remarked several times in the book by both Dalinar and Adolin that he appears more fond of Shallan than his previous partners. Adolin's admission to Kaladin "I'd really like to keep this one" and Dalinar's observation that Adolin seemed very fond of Shallan indicate to me that Adolin is growing relatively committed to the relationship. In the past, his first instinct when girls have grown distant is to buy them a present, try to compose a poem or go on a walk with them. Adolin appears genuinely confused about how to make sure that his relationship with Shallan last. This might seem contrary to his obvious reluctance to be physically forward with Shallan, but at their last kiss in the book, Adolin apparently gets quite into it. My money, in regards to Adolin's feelings, would be that he is crushing heavily on Shallan.

The issue with qualifying Jenet a "left-over" is it labels her as an inferior woman not deserving mighty glorious Kaladin simply for having dated Adolin... Even if they had fooled-around in the hay (which I am convinced they haven't), I seriously despise the idea it makes her unworthy of certain males... Who should date Jenet then? The scums because the "perfect men" should not lower themselves to consider her for fear of soiling themselves on her impurity?

I agree that no woman or man should be labeled a 'left-over'. The capacity to become involved in romantic relationships doesn't decrease as you date more people, and the more vulgar meaning of the phrase(used up) can't even be applied to any of Adolin's previous partners, considering how inexperienced he obviously is. No man or woman should be too 'pure' or 'impure' to date somebody else, and I will point out that neither Adolin nor Kaladin are such fantastic guys that Jenet couldn't hope to become involved with either (Adolin could be considered unintelligent, while Kaladin by virtue of his horrible mood 90% of the time probably isn't a great guy to be around).

It should be noted, however, that Vorin society places men and women in very distinct roles, and considering the rank differences between Adolin and Jenet (we don't know her dahn, but can assume it to be below Adolin's, else she wouldn't be working at a stables), I wouldn't be surprised if the role of finding and choosing a spouse fell primarily on men, especially men of higher dahn, as Adolin obviously is in both Shallan's and Jenet's case.

On a side note, I quite like the idea of Jenet and Kaladin...she's described as forward, uncomplicated, uncaring for eye colour and she wears a glove (like Kaladin's mother - he always considered gloves more practical). For any ship to sail on this though, we desperately need a lot more character development on Jenet.

Edited by Cemci

I think what maxal is trying to say is that in our world, the vast majority of people in the western world (and this doesn't include extremely orthodox christian places) date more than one person in their life. For many people who are not so 'traditional', the idea of going until their wedding day a virgin is relatively uncomfortable. For women (like me) for example, the first time is often quite painful, and it's only with experience that romantic intimacy can become pleasurable. Not to speak of having sex with a virgin, which to some people isn't as fun as having sex with someone experienced.. 

As I have said before, I'm not born from the west, I have a different insight.

No. I would not. Based on my readings, Shallan and Pattern's conversation is like a teacher-student relationship, compared to Kaladin and Syl which is friendlier.

On a side note, if Jenet is Adolin's 'left-overs', then every other woman in the warcamps is too, including Shallan. So you would prefer if Kaladin dated Syl? I must say I'm profoundly disturbed by the notion. 

As I have said earlier, Adolin's ex, not every woman in the warcamps is adolin's exs. I'll just edit the comment. I am sorry. As for Kaladin and Syl why are you disturbed?

There is no privacy between a spren and their Surgebinder. While Syl sometimes goes away from Kaladin, we can assume that there is little to nothing that Kaladin keeps from her or that she hasn't seen. To give an example of another spren-surgebinder relationship, Pattern is there when Shallan undresses and bathes. He displays nothing more than scholarly interest at the sight. I sincerely doubt that spren are able to partake in the kind of romantic relationship that Kaladin might be looking for.

Spren can manifest into weapon forms, but that's hardly the same as having a physical being to hold and be intimate with. In woman-form, Syl has no weight, and she herself can carry almost nothing in the Physical realm. She's capable of communicating with Kaladin telepathically, I would consider this relationship a little too close to develop into a romantic relationship. 

Also, Syl seems to me more of a child, as opposed to a woman eligible for that kind of relationship. The close relationship that Kaladin and Syl have might be to me exemplified by somebody trying to have a romantic relationship with their dual personality or their own consciousness. Syl is a personification of Kaladin's honour. She might have a personality, wit, thoughts of her own and be able to argue with Kaladin, but she isn't as distinct from Kaladin as another human would be. This may seem harsh, but Syl isn't enough of a distinct person for me to consider her separate from Kaladin's persona. Would you honestly want to have sex with the personification of your honour?

I'm also disturbed by the idea because there has been nothing whatsoever to indicate that Kaladin has romantic feelings for Syl, or the other way around. Any contact or exchange of feelings they have had has been of two close friends, nothing more. In addition, it's relatively clear to me that Kaladin considers Shallan a more eligible romantic partner, judging from his thoughts about her in the later parts of the chasm scene and after the return from the chasm. We don't even know if Syl understands love, let alone is capable of feeling it for somebody she knows as intimately as Kaladin.

Clarification regarding Adolin's ex, not every woman in the warcamps. Adolin has literally dated every single eligible woman in the warcamps. Yes that means there are probably women of lower social status that Adolin has not courted, but the pool of women that could be potential matches for Adolin is exhausted, except for Shallan. Considering that Kaladin now has the status of Radiant, which puts him very high indeed in Vorin society, his potential romantic partners and Adolin's would overlap considerably. Kaladin doesn't hold the social status of a darkeyes anymore, at least not in the warcamps.

As I have said earlier, Adolin's ex, not every woman in the warcamps is adolin's exs. I'll just edit the comment. I am sorry. As for Kaladin and Syl why are you disturbed?

Are yoou sure about that? because i don't remember in all of wor that a lighteye woman was introduced and hadn't had a relation with adolin. adolin literally dated alll eligible women in the camp. happened because his social standing is such that pretty much any girl wanted to date him, but girls of high enough standing to date adolin also had their sort of honor requiring someone behaving differently from adolin.

which is what comes of dating people based on considerations of social standing. but then, aristocratic marriage on those soocieties is no more than a contract for the exchange of offsprings, money, and sometimes cattle. people are not supposed to love each other in those kind of marriages. but it seems that vorin society expects people to pretend that they do.

Also,  in ancient society, virginity wasn't much a matter of purity but of certainty to track the bloodlines. those ancient nobles thought they were better than anybody else and they were triying to breed their offspring as if they were horses. They did too much inbreeding, and they ended up with plenty of hereditary diseases. Sometimes karma works.

Anyway, the point is that female virginity was considered very important, and not being a virgin could disqualify a marriage; women were considered little more than property of the husband, and a non-virgin was considered of less worth liek manumitted merchandise. Male virginity on the other hand wasn't required.

But in vorin society, women are also important. because they do plenty of stuff men can't do, so maybe things are different there.

EDIT: @ kaladin and syl: while I leave open the possibility that it could be possible to have a romantic relationship with a spren under exceptional circumstances, I don't see it happening between those two. they don't seem to have that kind of interest.

Edited by king of nowhere