Who were the Heralds?

Maximus

Kelek talks about how Jezrien used to be a king; I had assumed that meant in his human life before he was appointed (Invested?) as a Herald. But that's just my read, it could be taken other ways.

Yes, re-reading it now it seems clear that he was a king before he became a herald. One of the things that I find interesting is that, in that entire prelude, neither of the heralds we see ever mentions Honor, The Almighty or anything we might consider a god other than "The enemy" who I presume is Odium. No mention of anyone they serve, anyone who might be displeased with their abandoning of the oathpact. They seem unconcerned with any duty other than the one to the people they protect.

My theory was that the heralds collectively were the Almighty, ten consciousnesses formed by the union of Honor and Cultivation as depicted in the "hourglass" symbol. And that Honor splintered there in the prelude when they broke their oaths and abandoned mankind to its fate.

Actually they do mention the Almighty. Here

Kalak felt something within him break at the admission. How long had it been? Centuries, perhaps millennia, of torture. It was so hard to keep track. Those fires, those hooks, digging into his flesh anew each day. Searing the skin off his arm, then burning the fat, then driving to the bone. He could smell it. Almighty, he could smell it!

And here

Almighty above, Kalak thought. You’re broken too, aren’t you?

Shallan mentions something called "Proving Day" which I think was, at least in mythology, how the Heralds were chosen. Probably set seemingly impossible tasks to complete.

Actually they do mention the Almighty. HereAnd hereShallan mentions something called "Proving Day" which I think was, at least in mythology, how the Heralds were chosen. Probably set seemingly impossible tasks to complete.

Hmm yes, you are right. They mention him, but not as someone they are particularly close to. I missed it because it was such a casual oath, the way someone might use "christ" today in our world.

So I think my point stands. they don't seem to owe him anything.

Since they are assisting Honor (by presumabely upholding the Oathpact) rather than Honor assisting them, I don't know why they would think they owed him something.  They've suffered and sacrificed for a long stinking time.  Really, who owes whom?  As near as I can can tell so far, the Heralds have born the brunt of upholding the Oathpact (unless Honor sacrificed himself to give someone an advantage).

We know Honour survived until well after the breaking of the oathpact as well, because most of Dalinars visions are more recent than that, and Honour tells him that they are mostly things Honour saw and the only one we know that isn't true of is the last one in which Honour in forms him of this.

My theory was that the heralds collectively were the Almighty, ten consciousnesses formed by the union of Honor and Cultivation as depicted in the "hourglass" symbol. And that Honor splintered there in the prelude when they broke their oaths and abandoned mankind to its fate.

I've never heard that theory, and I quite like it. I personally believe the Almighty to be the union of Honor and Cultivation as represented by the two pupils of the dual eye, with the heralds forming an important role but outside the central iris. This may have changed dramatically when honor was fragmented and perhaps the term evolved to become what you are suggesting. 

I've never heard that theory, and I quite like it. I personally believe the Almighty to be the union of Honor and Cultivation as represented by the two pupils of the dual eye, with the heralds forming an important role but outside the central iris. This may have changed dramatically when honor was fragmented and perhaps the term evolved to become what you are suggesting. 

I am sorry to do a flip-flop on you but I am actually leaning away from this theory now. In addition to the observations by dj26792 above, we have the narrator in Dalinor's last vision naming himself the Almighty and referring to Cultivation in the third person(I think, I don't have the chapter in front of me at the moment).

That leaves the Heralds "merely" immortal champions of the Almighty, tasked with defending mankind during desolations, and submitting to endless torture in between.

That being the case, I still find it odd there was no mention of him besides a passing oath. No "what will the Almighty say", "who is going to tell him", or " well, I guess he's going to have to pick new Heralds." It's like they barely know he exists.

Which brings up another point. Why couldn't Honor simply pick new heralds to maintain the oathpact if he was still alive at the time?(Which the visions suggest he was). Was he so invested in these 10? If so, the abandonment by the 9 may have been what weakened him to the point he could be splintered. This suggests a reason Odium would have agreed to the oathpact, with the intent of making this happen. It leaves the question of why Honor would agree to it.

What is known about the oathpact:

1. It requires the Heralds to return to the place of torment between desolations, but doesn't bind them to it. They can choose not to.

2. It binds someone who they refer to as the enemy in some way.

3. It is believed by the Heralds to have some kind of power over the desolations, but doesn't prevent them.

4. Honor was still alive at the time of the most recent desolation. We are not aware of any response by him to the Heralds abandoning the oathpact

Widely-held strong assumptions

5. The enemy referred to is Odium

6. Odium killed Honor and at the same time splintered that shard.

7. The Heralds are servants of the Almighty

8. The Almighty is Honor

Speculation:

9 The 9 abandoning the oathpact weakened Honor in some way

10 Honor invested enough of his power in the Heralds that he couldn't simply select new ones.

11 The Heralds were also invested by Cultivation in some way, which would make her a party to the oathpact.

12. Odium hoped to use the oathpact to weaken Honor by getting him to invest the Heralds, who Odium would then break through torture

Questions:

13. What did Honor hope to achieve with the oathpact?

14. Same for Cultivation if she was even a part of it.

15. Who were the Heralds? If they would endure millenia of torture for Honor, why do why do they not consider him in their most monumental decisions?

16. Did Cultivation suffer a similar fate to Honor? If not, why not?

• Chaos locked this topic