Discrepancies in fGold healing

SwiftSteel

Feruchemical gold is one of the Feruchemal metals that we've seen the most of:  the Inquisitors could do it; Sazed used it when he was pierced with his own ring metal-minds (I'm pretty sure there were other instances, but I can't quite recall them at the moment); Wayne did it after getting shot, drinking poison, and having his back get burned; and Miles never stopped Compounding health.

And it doesn't seem to quite match up.  In Well of Ascension, Sazed managed to use about an hour's worth (An hour that he spent not lying in bed like Wayne did) of healing when fighting Marsh.  Sazed healed the shredding that was done to his stomach after ten metal rings were shot into him, in addition to healing his broken arm and a few minor injuries.  After that, his hour's worth of healing was all soaked up.

But in Alloy of Law, I recall Wayne saying that he had filled TWO WEEK'S worth of healing in (presumably) his arm bracers.  Those two weeks managed to heal a single gunshot wound, which I believe took the majority of his stored health.  The remainder went into him healing himself after being Pushed by Wayne into some Vanishers, then he stored up a bit more to heal himself after being poisoned and severely burned.

Is that about right?  It just seems kind of weird to me...

I'm away from my copy, but I don't think he used all 2 weeks on one gun shot. I thought it was just the last of his 2 weeks. Maybe not, though.

Something to keep in mind is not all feruchemists are created equal. Vin saw movement in the cave where Kelsier did not because she was a stronger allomancer (at least with Tin).

The MAG claims feruchemic strength dictates the efficiency of your storage. This matches up pretty well with the inquisitors, who had to rest all the time with their very-weak gold spikes.

That would make sense. (I also don't have a copy available right now), I *think* at the final fight after his storing "on the go" for a couple of days he had enough stored for 3 gunshot wounds. (Just for extra info)

Edited by lord_Ffnord

sazed had been storing healt for several days into his ring. we only see him for an hour.

As for vayne, the gunshot he complained about with wax was the second he received in the day. and he still had enough left to neutralize a letal dose of poison and third degree burns on all his back.

Which means, by the way, that healing a gunshot takes much more that healing poison or burns. it makes sense, since healing poison rquires the enzymes in your liver to work more, and even heavy buruns only damage the skin, which is a fast-healing organ. Anyway, I don't see any discrepancy

From what I remember Sazed wasn't really storing actively healing. Just like his weight was stored passively in a slow pace. For Wayne this is a bad option as it's take too long, so he just stays in bed. Besides, from what I remember - and I'm reading, ok, I'm translating it, so I'm reading -  amount of health needed depend on the speed one need to heal. If one needs to heal faster, it takes more health. If time doesn't matter, less amount of health goes to heal the same wound.

So I think it's not about level of feruchemist as the health comes from person, not from metal.

So I think it's not about level of feruchemist as the health comes from person, not from metal.

I think that the level of feruchemist does make a difference in the efficiency.  I would suggest that this is a relative efficiency of storing rather than tapping.  I would think that once the charge is in place it can be used fully.  But, if one is a weaker feruchemist it could take longer to store up a particular amount of a trait.  So a fully powered feruchemist can store at a factor of 1 while a weaker feruchemist could store at a factor of 0.9 or whatever.  The power still comes exclusively from the feruchemist.  But, the capability of a weaker feruchemist to store is reduced relative to a stronger feruchemist.

I think that the level of feruchemist does make a difference in the efficiency. 

I think it may have something with person's build. I mean someone heavier than Waxillium could store much more weight. Same probably goes for health. But one cannot store more than one has. That's the point of feruchemy. None gained just stored for later use. We just don't see Sazed got in fights as often as Wayne. To me it weakening is resulted that there's no Keepers, or we don't know of them since they're rare.

Wayne spent 3 weeks in bed and healed a gunwound, a gutwound, poison - which is worse according to him - burnt back and he ran out of healing the next accault.

Sazed didn't used his healing stored in combat. So he could take his time and heal slowly using less.

I didn't suggest that one could store more than what they have.  Absent compounding, this is clearly not possible with feruchemy.  What I said was that a full powered feruchemist could store 1:1 while a weaker feruchemist could store at 0.9:1 or 0.7:1 or whatever.  The stronger feruchemist could store more efficiently than a weaker feruchemist, but nobody (again, outside of compounding) could store at better than 100% efficiency.

And sazed did indeed use the healing in the ring in the fight with Marsh in Kredik Shaw at the end of WoA.  As previously discussed, Sazed's broken arm was healed as well as the damaged caused by Marsh slinging the sack of rings into him.

Hmm... like how? Wayne usually stay in bed, because that way storing is quicker, if he stays up running errands, storing takes time. The state i which he is then, is different. So you can store health passively but it takes a lot of time. If time's of no limit it's fine, if one is a bit unwell.

That's how it happened, we see Sazed in combat for 4 times during 5 years. Pretty much time to store healing, huh?

Though it desn't matter much, as when you have only one ability you build a system around it. When you have all of them, you use favourites

Edited by Aetae

If you'll recall though, he prepared prepared the rings in a brief period of time.  Not much time to do much storing.  He was also so busy with his travels and his studies that he was unable to do a substantial amount of storing.

In any case, think of it like a flow restricter for a weaker feruchemist.  A full powered feruchemist has no flow restricter.  So, all other things being equal, the full feruchemist can store the same amount of charge quicker than a weaker feruchemist.  Or alternatively, given the same amount of time, the stronger feruchemist has a larger store than the weaker.

Edit: in any case, both allomancy and feruchemy are genetically passed on.  The Terris people bred exclusively with Terris people (or nearly so) so a stronger genetic heritage was preserved among the Terris people.  After Sazed's ascension, the Terris began to extend their dating pool (seen in at least the case of Demoux).  If allomantic strength as well as versatility (mistborn v. misting) is reduced by genetic dilution, then it seems virtually absurd that feruchemy would not be similarly affected by genetic dilution.  Especially since we have seen that feruchemical versatility is reduced in the same manner as allomancy (full feruchemist v. ferring).  Weakened allomancy functions in a similar flow restricter type situation as I described above.  The metal is the same, the underlying power is the same.  But, the weaker allomancer simply is unable to draw on that power as effectively as a stronger allomancer.

Edited by Shardlet

I believe everyone is forgetting an essential aspecr of Feruchemy. 1 hour of Filling a Pewtermind with 50% of your strength gives 1 hour of +50% strength. OR 29-30 minutes of +100% strength (to account for the diminishing returns principal).

The same can be applied to Feruchemical gold. We are not certain how much either Sazed ofr Wayne were tapping, but if they really needed to get up and in the fight now then they can tap all that healing in 1 burst. Also to keep in mind, Filling Feruchemical gold at 2% for 8 hours a day for 2 weeks, isn't the equivalent of filling 75% for 12 hours a day for 2 days. So arbitrairily declaring that the Feruchemist whos been Filling for a longer period of time is misleading.

• Chaos locked this topic