Szeth and Nightblood Question/theory

Paulyoceans

My first theory post, be kind lol. 

After reading Warbreaker and the SA books, two things came to mind. 

1. I think there is some significance to Nightblood, a sword from a world of color and was awakened with 1000 breaths and Szeth the assassin in white who was controlled by an oath stone, that stone was also black and shared visual attributes to Nightblood.

Its interesting that Sanderson explains over and over the visual of Szeth as always in White and wears nothing else. Then at the end of WOR he gets the all black blade of Nightblood. I feel like I'm reading to deep into this. 

2. I also think Yesteel is the obvious cause of Vasher/Zahel to split from Nightblood and Vasher/Zahel chased Yesteel to Roshar to get it. Do you think Yesteel is in Roshar?

I would love to know what you think

1. I think there is some significance to Nightblood, a sword from a world of color and was awakened with 1000 breaths and Szeth the assassin in white who was controlled by an oath stone, that stone was also black and shared visual attributes to Nightblood.

Its interesting that Sanderson explains over and over the visual of Szeth as always in White and wears nothing else. Then at the end of WOR he gets the all black blade of Nightblood. I feel like I'm reading to deep into this.

IMO, you're definitely reading to much into this. Keep in mind that the reason Szeth was wearing all white wasn't because he chose it, but rather because he was ordered to wear it by the Parshendi.

What COULD be happening, if you wanted to dig really, REALLY deep, is that the Parshendi tradition of wearing white was a cultural transplant from Nalthis to Roshar hundreds (thousands?) of years ago courtesy of Hoid.

2. I also think Yesteel is the obvious cause of Vasher/Zahel to split from Nightblood and Vasher/Zahel chased Yesteel to Roshar to get it. Do you think Yesteel is in Roshar?

Not sure what exactly you have in mind here, but Vasher choosing to leave Nalthis because of his guilt after killing Yesteel is something I've thought about for a while now.

Or were you thinking more along the lines of Yesteel stealing Nightblood and fleeing to Roshar, then Vasher catching up to him at some point?

IMO, you're definitely reading to much into this. Keep in mind that the reason Szeth was wearing all white wasn't because he chose it, but rather because he was ordered to wear it by the Parshendi.

What COULD be happening, if you wanted to dig really, REALLY deep, is that the Parshendi tradition of wearing white was a cultural transplant from Nalthis to Roshar hundreds (thousands?) of years ago courtesy of Hoid.

Not sure what exactly you have in mind here, but Vasher choosing to leave Nalthis because of his guilt after killing Yesteel is something I've thought about for a while now.

Or were you thinking more along the lines of Yesteel stealing Nightblood and fleeing to Roshar, then Vasher catching up to him at some point?

Thank you for clarifying the first point!

I was thinking that Yasteel fled to Roshar, Vasher is on the hunt for his "buddy" Nightblood.

Edited by Paulyoceans

My first theory post, be kind lol. 

After reading Warbreaker and the SA books, two things came to mind. 

I would love to know what you think

That, and the his Oathstone wasn't the black/dark sphere. Two completely different things...unless...the Shin have access to Dawnshards o.O

Oathstone description from WoK, Ch3

It was fairly ordinary, a simple piece of rock with a few quartz crystals set into it and a rusty vein of iron on one side

So basically, a normal rock. I had headcannon that it had been painted, but apparently not.

Szeth is supposed to wear white as a warning that he's an assassin, to make him visible. To quote Assassin's Creed, white to be bold, if you will. It's not related to colourlessness at all.

Actually, that's a quote from WoK (not sure if Assassin's Creed said the same thing, though).

He was Truthless. He did as his masters demanded.

Today, that included wearing white. Loose white trousers tied at the waist with a rope, and over them a filmy shirt with long sleeves, open at the front. White clothing for a killer was a tradition among the Parshendi. Although Szeth had not asked, his masters had explained why.

White to be bold. White to not blend into the night. White to give warning.

For if you were going to assassinate a man, he was entitled to see you coming.

:)

Actually, that's a quote from WoK (not sure if Assassin's Creed said the same thing, though).

:)

It's probably originally a quote from whichever real-world culture started the thing with assassins wearing white, as there's definitely a similar saying in the first AC game.

• Chaos locked this topic