I need helpwith sphere info!!!

Vaughn Evans

Hi my name is Vaughn Evans, I am a professional marble maker, and am attempting to get all the info I can on sphere denominations and sizes. I want to attemp to reproduce one of them as accurately as possible. I have found the wiki pages that state that they are the size of a fingernail, and flat on one side. I need help choosing which stone to emulate. The stones I will be encasing are Gilson syntheitc opals like any of these - https://www.google.com/search?q=Gilson+synthetic+opals&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIw6KCh_PLxwIVA9WACh3O8wqj&biw=1280&bih=583

If one of these looks good for a certain denomination, I would encase it in glass, and take plenty of good pics for the art of it. Let me know if you can help in any way, information wise. Thanks!!!

-Vaughn at CremationMarbles.com

Here is the Coppermind article on spheres: http://coppermind.net/wiki/Spheres

It lists the denominations that we currently know about.  There are 9 gems in 3 sizes each, but we've only seen 6 gem types so far.  (as of WoR)

I hope this helps, and I'm looking forward to seeing these, they will be really cool!

Edited by Vauhsoj

Hi my name is Vaughn Evans, I am a professional marble maker, and am attempting to get all the info I can on sphere denominations and sizes. I want to attemp to reproduce one of them as accurately as possible.

Excellent! We've had a few threads about spheres here. This one has a lot of discussion about their properties. The link will take you to a post halfway through that has our current best guesses for the gem sizes. Scroll down a bit and you'll get a photo of stemware with encased gems that is probably very close to what spheres would look like. There are also quite a few book quotes in that thread.

To summarize that thread: each denomination (chip, mark, broam) has a specific carat of gem, all of which are cut. Broams are definitely faceted, chips seem not to be, and marks probably are but we're not sure. For size, a sphere is probably about 15 mm in diameter, with a broam containing a gem between 6 and 10 mm in diameter. Marks and chips have the same size sphere but contain proportionally smaller gems.

If one of these looks good for a certain denomination, I would encase it in glass, and take plenty of good pics for the art of it. [...]

-Vaughn at CremationMarbles.com

If they turn out well, do you have plans to offer them for sale? I'm sure some of us would be interested. If you were to sell them, would the pricing be similar to your cremation marbles? Less? 

By the way, that is a fascinating idea that I had never heard of before. I only briefly browsed your site, so you may have explained it there, but did you come up with the idea? Is it common? Do you get a lot of requests?

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.