The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie

Gamma Fiend

Anyone else read any of Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy?
It starts with "The Blade Itself" and I gotta say, for any of those "gritty, morally grey, violent fantasy fans. these books are an absolutely fantastic read.

The world seems a little plain at first, but the real story here is the characters. Abercrombie just writes amazing internal narrative, with each different characrer having a unique feel when reading their chapters. It really is quite wonderful.
Would love to talk about these books with you guys.

Yeah, the latter 3 stand alone books were on a whole different level. Really took the world the that Epic scale.

I loved in Red Country when he never even said Lamb's real name. Everyone would just realize who it was and just rust themselves.
You gotta be realistic about these kind of things, afterall.

I haven't read Red Country yet, but The Heroes is one of the best novels I have read. While the editorial has to include it in the fantasy genre because of the world setting when the magic isn't almost there, he works as well with the characters that I really enjoyed those 3 days of battle.

By the way, if someone liked the three standalone novels written by Abercrombie, I highly recomend reading "The prince of nothing" saga, which starts with "The darkness that comes before". The characters are pure art works, and you love and hate some of them at the same time.

Edited by Gaelan

Gonna have to check those out. And yeah, Heroes was fantastic. All of that story just for 3 days. He really captured what it seems like that kind of war would be like.
Whirrun of Bligh, all time favorite character from the series. Dude was a real cracknut. And it was really great to see what Shivers was up to after Best Served Cold.

I want more Glotka narrative in the future books. He's just way too sarcastic and hilarious.

I want more Glotka narrative in the future books. He's just way too sarcastic and hilarious.

I thought you would say "sexy", you know.

The only think I don't like of the book is that The fight of Wirrhun and Bremer is obvious almost since the book starts. But yeah, I admit that Abercrombie works with the characters as well that they seem just real. And using them into not a war, but a battle (more or less) was a smart move having on count his style.

And I love Koska, he doesn't appear in the Heroes, but he's in Dagoska first, then in Talins and I know he's in "red country" too. I just cannot wait for the translation.

By the way, hasn't no one else read the books? Come on! Post something.

Edited by Gaelan

• 2 months later...

It's on my 'to read' list right now. I have to re-read A Feast For Crows and A Dance with Dragons before it though. 

I've heard so many good things about them that I really can't not read them. The problem for me is that since I got back to school my reading list has grown rather than shortened  :P

• 4 weeks later...

Glokta passages have to be some of the funniest to read in the fantasy genre. I've read (okay, listened to... ^^) the first law trilogy - have yet to obtain the other (audio)books settled in the same world but surely will sooner or later. I wasn't that satisfied with the ending of the trilogy. I know what the author probably wanted to tell us with it, but I did not exactly enjoy it.