Ten Levels

Youngy

"there are ten levels of Voidbinding, like there are ten levels of Surgebinding."

Just something that cropped up in the Ars Arcanum from tWoK...

Does the wording of this statement stand out to anyone else?

Levels to me implies heights of power, or an order of power rather than ten distinct (but different) sets of powers. Would this just be me reading into it too much? Or is Kaladin's surge of power when he speaks the "I will protect those who cannot protect themselves." somehow related to this? (Ie. He has moved from 'level 1' to 'level 2,' whatever that would entail...

Thoughts?

There are ten kinds of Surgebinding, but are they on different "strengths"? Is this the question?

We know there are four ideals. The first is a moral guideline (presumably, for I have read Kalad ininfuses before, and when he says this ideal, there is no clear "level up"), the second (at least for windrunners) is a clear, distinct "level up", and I think the other two are similar to the second.

Just putting some facts on the table.

Ancient scholars also placed the ten orders of Knights Radiant on this list, alongside the Heralds themselves, who each had a classical association with one of the numbers and Essences.

I’m not certain yet how the ten levels of Voidbinding or its cousin the Old Magic fit into this paradigm, if indeed they can. My research suggests that, indeed, there should be another series of abilities that is even more esoteric than the Voidbindings. Perhaps the Old Magic fits into those, though I am beginning to suspect that it is something entirely different.

It is notable that the Ars Arcanum author states that there are "ten levels of Voidbindnig", but there's nothing about there being ten levels to Surgebinding.

Still, I think the number ten does have some significance here.

Speculating for a moment...

Surgebinding.... 10 different surges.

Voidbinding.... the same power with 10 different power levels

Maybe the power levels in voidbinding correlate to which types of spren you are able to corrupt.

Level 1, corrupt a flame spren to get a weaker type of voidbringer.

Level 10, corrupt an honorspren to create the most powerful types of voidbringers

Edited by MadRand

• 1 month later...

It has been noted (Though I can't remember where) that the number 10 will play a very significant role in Stormlight. 10 Heralds, 10 books, 10 levels .. etc. I feel like this may be something similar to the "level up" system we saw in Warbreaker, though instead of needing a large number of breaths, someone simply needs to have attained a certain level of .... their aspect within their Order.

I feel that when Kaladin said "I will protect those who can not protect themselves." He was given a small portion of divine inspiration and knowing what he was saying and truly meaning it caused him to gain the strength that he used.

Maybe the power levels in voidbinding correlate to which types of spren you are able to corrupt.

Level 1, corrupt a flame spren to get a weaker type of voidbringer.

Level 10, corrupt an honorspren to create the most powerful types of voidbringers

Seems like a pretty solid theory. I like it.

Edited by Tal Spektor

• Chaos locked this topic