Theory sly and Dalnars blade

Fuge

I'm sure it has been discussed to death but...  Having looked around and seen nothing I can agree with I wanted to kick around my initial thought on Sly's reaction to Dalnar's blade.  Contrary to popular thought I don't think the problem is with the blade per say.

Syl: "He's a good man. I've watched him. Despite that thing he carried." Kaladin: "That thing?" Syl: "The shardblade." Kaladin: "What do you care about it?" Sly: "I don't know. It just feels wrong to me. I hate it. I'm glad he got rid of it.

I think what she hates the is the wrongness of it. She is still remembering more about her true self and her nature. I think deep down for her to see a shardblade used by one who has not  KR is a perversion, more than tragic a mockery of what has been lost.  Therefor in keeping with being a good man she is glad to see him give up something he (for the moment) has no right to have. 

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason I have a feeling that Shardblades and Shardplate are grown, making them of cultivation. Specifically that each blade and set of plate was grown for a particular Knight Radiant. I know this is a really half-baked theory, but for some reason it just feels right to me.

I like your idea as well, I just think that if it was accurate, she would have stopped at wrong. Hate is a very strong word. But then again, I just put forth that wacky theory above, so I'm obviously not thinking straight.

I'd welcome you to the forums as well, but I'm so new I'm still trying to find the bathroom. :blink:

I think it is not a half-baked idea Gloom.  I feel like this is on the right track.  The sheer numbers of plate and blade which were there at the recreance vision makes me think that some means was established by Honor and/or Cultivation through the Heralds to form these tools.

The only evidence I have to corroborate my theory is that when a Shardplate is broken, it is regrown through Stormlight.

It would take days to regrow Dalinars own gauntlet. Longer, if the Parshendi tried to grow a full suit from the one he had left. They would fail, so long as Dalinar's armorers fed Stormlight to his suit. The abandoned gauntlet would degrade and crumble to dust, a new one growing for Dalinar.

This leads me to believe that cultivation plays a substantial role in the Shards.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm at work and don't have my book, but the quote regarding the Parshendi being able to grow entire suit from a gauntlet definitely implies Cultivation.  As for the blades, there was never any mention of it growing and the way that it can only be handed to someone (from the current owner) or retrieved after death seems to jive with it not being from Cultivation.

Perhaps the Blades are of Honor instead of Cultivation. That could explain Syl, and HONORSpren's, disgust at someone who has not proven himself to possess a Blade. Perhaps she is also referring to the fact that, I assume in a similar way as the Plate isn't what it used to be, the Blades are not either. Perhaps she feels that in order for the Blade to be a good thing it needs to be .... "awakened" in some way. Perhaps by someone wielding it who has climbed to a certain level of being a KR.

Is it specified anywhere exactly when in the process of becoming a KR they get the Blade and Plate? It's at the very end isn't it? After they've completed everything they need to do? I vaguely remember that being said. So even Kaladin who is what Level 2? Wouldn't be ready for the Blade. Perhaps that's why he rejected it at the time that he did. Perhaps he had an innate knowledge that he wasn't "at the right level to equip this item." (lol)

• 2 months later...

Personally, i think that the plate is bound to the soul of it's wearer, and that it is forged by regular means but changed somehow to become actual plate. i believe the blades are also formed likewise. my personal opinion is that the blade and plate are created/gifted by spren such as honor spren (sly ect) when in a time of need. if you read the released stuff that people have managed to collect about the second book, teft (i think) mentions how kal's eyes glowed. this would link to the blade causing the light in their eyes. also, i believe that any weapon could be made a shard with this method. a spear perhaps?

also, hi i'm new to the site

• Chaos locked this topic