Re-Using Hemalurgic Spikes Causes Decay

Moogle

I recently found this old WoB in the TWG archives:

Q: Before, Inquisitors had supernatural healing.  How did they get the Feruchemists for the spike?  Were the keepers not so hidden after all?
A: The keepers have been hunted for years.  Much like skaa Allomancers, they were often captured and taken by the Inquisitors.  It didn't happen nearly as often, of course.  Two things to remember, however: Not all Inquisitors had the same spikes, and spikes CAN be reused with much less effectiveness.  The longer they are outside of a body, the more their power degrades.

I'd never seen it before, and I think it might benefit from being signal boosted here. I believe we had some uncertainty on whether or not spikes would lose power if reused because we'd never seen this WoB.

We had a discussion on general Hemalurgic decay, which prompted the idea of Hemalurgic spikes being 'capped' once they were inserted into a being, proposed by Oudeis (I believe). This WoB seems to me give a little more weight to the idea that it's just how long a spike is outside a body that matters.

And, of course, it just makes Vin's earring all the more confusing.

Edited by Moogle

I suspect her earring's investiture did decay, but that it works as a half-life.  She would have lost a lot of it's original benefit (largely without knowing, since she didn't use it early on), but 

it retained enough to boost her copper cloud and let Ruin continue to influence her.

This WoB definitely supports the idea that spike are 'capped' while within a body and 'leaking' when not. So here is my question: What happens if you spike it directly into the next host? For instance, take an Inquisitor and just pound the spikes on through into another Inquisitor, say to create single, more powerful Inquisitor out of two less powerful Inquisitors.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a head canon on this that spikes consume a portion of their energy to bind to a host in the first place, and once bound, they don't leak even if removed unless that host dies, at which point they begin leaking again. It works much better than trying to measure decay every time she takes out her earring. 

Side note, as for where the Inquisitors were getting Feruchemical gold spikes for healing, I've also had a theory that the cover story of the breeding program was to eliminate Feruchemy, but there was a secret branch of it that was actually trying to preserve it in a controlled form, just to have spiking victims for his Inquisitors. 

Since the Lord Ruler feared feruchemy, and we see he didn't want the Inquisitors to get too powerful, and he believed they were already unstoppably powerful, and in any case if something came up they couldn't handle he himself could... that seems like it would be out of character for him. Far too much risk for far too little gain.

Since the Lord Ruler feared feruchemy, and we see he didn't want the Inquisitors to get too powerful, and he believed they were already unstoppably powerful, and in any case if something came up they couldn't handle he himself could... that seems like it would be out of character for him. Far too much risk for far too little gain.

Ah, but the very thing that let him keep them in control was the sheer amount of Hemalurgic spikes. More spikes meant more control over them from his perspective. He was clearly wrong as shown when Ruin just direct control, but from his perspective, he had the ace up his sleeve for controlling the Inquisitors regardless of power since he could take direct control with a hyper-powered Soothing.

He knew about the Ruin control though. That's why the kandra Resolution exists.

That always seemed more like a contingency plan to me, at least from Rashek's perspective. Remember, he planned to take the power from the Well himself again when it returned. Ruin was only able to exercise any control because he was gone and Vin let it free. 

Counting the caves, that's, like, 2 contingency plans.

He certainly didn't seem to expect the plan of Ascending again to go smoothly if he planned for his own death so well despite effective immortality.

The fate of the entire world was at stake. If there was a chance he walked out during a storm and was hit by ten lightnings one after the other he had to plan for it.

Plus, feruchemy works based on multipliers, so the longer he lived the more power he would need to stay young, until one day compounding wasn't enough and he died.

The fate of the entire world was at stake. If there was a chance he walked out during a storm and was hit by ten lightnings one after the other he had to plan for it.

Plus, feruchemy works based on multipliers, so the longer he lived the more power he would need to stay young, until one day compounding wasn't enough and he died.

Exactly. He was planning out every contingency, knowing this would likely be his one and only last chance, since he would likely not be able to make it another 1000 years on his Compounding alone. He had a thousand years to plan for every possible contingency. I fully expect there were another dozen (at least) contingency plans in the works that never came up for situations that didn't happen. When you have that kind of time and resources at your disposal, you can be very thorough and redundant.

• Chaos locked this topic