Speculation concering the Letter and the Element

Kadrok

These lines appear in the letter: "Let me first assure you that the element is quite safe." I thought we could speculate as to what is meant by "The Element"

Let me start by fielding my theory: "The Element" is a bead of Lerasium, or something otherwise derived from it. (I am assuming as many do that Hoid is the letter writer, and it has been confirmed he took a bead of Lerasium from the Well of Ascension).

Obviously this is based on very little... other than, we know Hoid has a Lerasium bead, and a Lerasium bead seems like an "Element" worth protecting, especially if it is capable of more than just making someone a Mistborn, as we have been told... and especially since Hoid "has" a bead of Lerasium, not "had"... meaning he is hanging on to it for some reason. I've speculated elsewhere that this is because he is using it as a metalmind, but this need not be the case, nor need it contradict the possibility that the bead is "The Element".

(If it is obvious what the element is from one of the books I haven't read, I apologise for wasting your time...)

Edited by Kadrok

So in case anyone is kicking around here, and not in the topic of the guy who thought of it before me... I thought I'd quote this here. People, send this woman some upvotes! (In the original context, obviously: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/2913-the-letter-the-element/page-2#entry57661)

As of tonight at the Provo Library signing, Brandon confirmed that the element is the bead of Lerasium. Which confirms both this theory, and the theory that Hoid wrote the letter (which, let's face it, everyone knew anyway).

Edit for disclaimer: When I asked the question, I also thought the element and the lerasium were different. I asked it as a "Hoid clearly has a habit for taking important items. He has the bead of lerasium and the element. What other items does he have that we should know about?" Brandon's response was that the bead and the element are the same. And that he has many items he should not have. Unfortunately, my phone's battery power was super-low so I couldn't record this response. But if any of you doubt me, ask Mi'ch or Josh. Or Peter. They were all there.

Edited by Kadrok

So in case anyone is kicking around here, and not in the topic of the guy who thought of it before me... I thought I'd quote this here. People, send this woman some upvotes! (In the original context, obviously: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/2913-the-letter-the-element/page-2#entry57661)

Upvote for being so nice. :)

• Chaos locked this topic