Brandon, you should really have a name for Aluminum Gants

Duralumin Gnat, sure. Burning the metal alone is useless. But we already know that burning aluminum isn't; it can cleanse your body of toxins, and I think it was hinted that it could also protect you from emotional Allomancy. As such, I suggest that aluminum Allomancers would no longer be gnats. I think Purifier would be a cool name, but that's up to you.

Edit: See post 11.

Edited by kroen

The names are in universe names for people's powers. Unless they know about the powers of aluminium users then they'll be called gnats.

Plus we don't know duralumin is useless. It might be possible to amplify in body investiture effects.

1. The names are in universe names for people's powers. Unless they know about the powers of aluminium users then they'll be called gnats.

2. Plus we don't know duralumin is useless. It might be possible to amplify in body investiture effects.

1. Do we know that they don't know though?

2. Interesting hypothesis, although with no references at the moment. I'd like it to be true, though.  If it is, I can think of no better name than Amplifier.

Edited by kroen

Aluminium only allows for purification at the far edge - IE: if you're an aluminum savant.

I don't think the price of becoming a savant is a fair tradeoff really.

Do you have a source?

And what do you mean by "price"? if you mean damage to your body, then I doubt it would do you any damage. There are far more useful metals that do no damage to you if you become a savant, such as copper and bronze. If you meant money, then of course spending all of your money on aluminum and becoming broke isn't a fair tradeoff, but it is if you do have the extra money.

Aluminium is currently absurdly expensive. I doubt anyone is going to be rich enough to waste all that aluminium for a while yet just because it might do something.

Perhaps in the second or the third trilogy when electrolysis is widespread and aluminium is cheap.

1) What benefit does an aluminum savant get? Yes, I know this would normally never happen because aluminum burns itself up. Suppose a mad scientist with a willing Mistborn test subject shoved a feeding tube down the Mistborn's throat to pump in a continuous stream of aluminum, replenishing it steadily so there's always a new unburned supply. Add another tube to pump out excess water if necessary. What would he discover? Alternatively, what would Sazed with his Shard-granted knowledge know?

Ha, that IS a little silly of a method. However, on the extreme end of aluminum, I have in the notes the possibility of cleansing the spirit of unwanted effects of other investitures. You'd get really good at this, and maybe even be able to cleanse the body of other impurities.

Same place we learned about the purification thing.

And the mad scientist question was in response to this one:

http://twg.17thshard.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=02afeb1525c754dd27be3194e2d4874d&topic=6896.0

4) What benefit does an aluminum savant get?

A: (After a short period of laughing) Is it even possible to become an aluminum savant? You'd have to be burning aluminum consistently, and aluminum just kind of goes away in a burst.... After that, he discussed how being an aluminum misting will likely be considered a handicap in the Mistborn RPG because you can't pick up other allomantic abilities.

So basically yeah becoming an aluminum savant is basically impossilbe under normal circumstances.

Bummer. But tnx for the quote. 

But that gave me an idea: What about giving Misting Savants new names? My ideas:

(Misting>Savant)

Coinshot>Repulser

Lurcher>Magnet

Thug>Feral

Tineye>Sensor

Rioter>Rouser

Soother>Queller

Smoker>Muffler

Seeker>Hunter

Duralumin Gnat>Amplifier

Aluminum Gnat>Purifier

Nicroburst>Surger