The Letter (Again, I Know)

Youngy

Recently I have had a few thoughts on the letter, and wonder if they have been discussed before.

"Ponder on that for a time, you old reptile, and tell me if your insistence on nonintervention holds firm."

This first one, to me says two things, one I have mentioned before here.

-The words 'old reptile' to me would seem to indicate a dragon. Coupled with the fact that the name of one of the series will be Dragonsteel, I would be guessing the letter is written to a dragon.

-The other thing of note is the non-intervention. This - once again - to me  says a few things, one of which is that the being who the letter is addressed to, the dragon has the ability to intervene in a war between Shards to an effect. Which kind of implies if he isn't on par in power to a Shard, he may be a lot closer than most beings in the Cosmere that we have seen so far.

-The non-intervention statement reminds me of Harmony a lot, not intervening with the troubles of people. But this dragon is not intervening with the troubles of Shards.

"Though, as you are now essentially immortal, I would guess that wellness on your part is something of a given."

This one is also rather interesting, emphasis mine. The dragon was not always immortal (and so dragons being immortal is not a given. Which is interesting, because it means this creature has found some way of procuring immortality. (Whether this is from Shard-based magic or something else)

Could it be holding multiple shards, the same way that Sazed is?

Anyway, that is some of my thoughts over the last few days reading the Way of Kings.

Enjoy.

Well, there's a good possibility that Sazed is the most powerful guy in the cosmere, so I think more than two is probably impossible, and even two is a bit of a stretch.

I suppose it would depend on when the letter was written.  In the overall chronology, isn't Dragonsteel (the upcoming series) early in the chronology?  If that is the case, and there is a lot of time between Dragonsteel and the letter.  I don't think it terribly unlikely that the recipient joined two or more shards in a similar manner to Sazed.

Well, there's a good possibility that Sazed is the most powerful guy in the cosmere, so I think more than two is probably impossible, and even two is a bit of a stretch.

I'm intrigued about this. Has there been any evidence that says so?

I mean, something had to shatter Adonalisium at some point... There is a possibility that this was malicious intent / caused by something other than Adonalisium, rather than him just shattering. Which to me would imply there are things out there powerful enough.

Which would mean that Sazed would not necessarily be so.

And we are missing a good 8 Shards, with a few of them likely to be on same Shardworlds. Why not have some other being that has picked up two?

What if the force that shattered Adonalisium wanted one or two shards for itself?

All random conjecture. Sorry.

But to me, the fact that Adonalisium shattered in the first place should be the greatest threat, not the 'little' vendettas the Shards have against each other..

That said, the fact that the dragon feels no need to intervene kind of tells us that maybe there isnt.. 

Here's the reference quote.

Interview: Sep 22nd, 2012

Josh and Eric

So are Shards the most powerful thing in the Cosmere?

Adam

Or is Adonalsium?

Josh and Eric

No, no, let him RAFO the first one first, or he'll lump them together.

Brandon Sanderson

It depends on what you believe. The Shards are the most powerful things currently overtly manifest. There are those who would say there are other subtle forces being manifest. Most people in the know would say that Shards are the most powerful thing.

Adam

Does Hoid believe that Shards are the most powerful thing?

Brandon Sanderson

You'll have to ask him sometime. [gives troll grin]. Or see him get asked something like that sometime. There's argument to be made that right now Harmony is the most powerful thing in the Cosmere.

• Chaos locked this topic