Theory: David was an Epic ever since Calamity

Sarcasm

It has been mentioned multiple times throughout Steelheart and Mitosis that David has been able to identify Epics easily. I don't have an exact reference, but I believe that it was mentioned in the Prologue of Steelheart and in Mitosis that he had an uncanny ability to be able to identify if an individual was an Epic through "their bearing and the way they walked." However, multiple times throughout the entire series, Prof gifts to David. It has also been mentioned that David was able to figure out and master the tensors better than anyone else. This led me to consider his secondary ability: being able to use or perhaps even "steal" other Epic powers. In essence, I think that David has two powers: to identify and utilize the powers of Epics. 

He failed to identify Prof and Megan, had no idea Fortuity possessed enhanced reflexes and agility, and spent the entire first book and part of the second believing Firefight was an illusionist. If he really could identify the powers of Epics, he should have known what Firefight was from the beginning, and he wouldn't have been blindsided by Fortuity's hidden power.

It has been mentioned multiple times throughout Steelheart and Mitosis that David has been able to identify Epics easily. I don't have an exact reference, but I believe that it was mentioned in the Prologue of Steelheart and in Mitosis that he had an uncanny ability to be able to identify if an individual was an Epic through "their bearing and the way they walked." However, multiple times throughout the entire series, Prof gifts to David. It has also been mentioned that David was able to figure out and master the tensors better than anyone else. This led me to consider his secondary ability: being able to use or perhaps even "steal" other Epic powers. In essence, I think that David has two powers: to identify and utilize the powers of Epics. 

David figured out neither Prof nor Megan on first glance, he just got very adapt at picking out common Epic behaviour. Plus, he's been gifted.

Edit:Sparkly ninja, I love you! :ph34r:

Edited by Edgedancer

He failed to identify Prof and Megan, had no idea Fortuity possessed enhanced reflexes and agility, and spent the entire first book and part of the second believing Firefight was an illusionist. If he really could identify the powers of Epics, he should have known what Firefight was from the beginning, and he wouldn't have been blindsided by Fortuity's hidden power.

Actually, I thought that David could tell if someone was an Epic or not, not exactly what their powers were.

David figured out neither Prof nor Megan on first glance, he just got very adapt at picking out common Epic behaviour. Plus, he's been gifted.

Edit:Sparkly ninja, I love you! :ph34r:

My theory would support the fact that what appears as David being "gifted" is actually him using one of his powers to use Prof's powers. You are right about not identifying Prof or Megan though.

Plus, he has exhibited no signs of corruption whatsoever. If he had been an Epic from the beginning, wouldn't he have known what being corrupted was like, instead of having to ask Megan? Even if he faced his fear at some point, he would've remembered.

Or why Calamity would have tried to give him powers again.

Well there's the problem of why he only stole the powers of an Epic that was trying to gift to him, why he only took the exact strength and combination that the Epic was trying to gift to him and why he never felt any corruption.

Well there's the problem of why he only stole the powers of an Epic that was trying to gift to him, why he only took the exact strength and combination that the Epic was trying to gift to him and why he never felt any corruption.

Not to mention why he didn't take Steelheart or Deathpoint's powers in the bank (since that was two years after Calamity) any other Epic's powers during his years on the streets (which would have helped him survive) Fortuity's powers when he helped the Reckoners assassinate him, or pretty much any other Epic's powers in any other instance where an Epic's powers would have proven useful.

Not to mention why he didn't take Steelheart or Deathpoint's powers in the bank (since that was two years after Calamity) any other Epic's powers during his years on the streets (which would have helped him survive) Fortuity's powers when he helped the Reckoners assassinate him, or pretty much any other Epic's powers in any other instance where an Epic's powers would have proven useful.

To be fair, he might have acquired the ability to cook superb mashed potatoes from Instabam off-screen.

Conclusion: Megan is actually secretly a pug who uses illusions to appear human.

OR she's a pug in an alternate universe, which she learned by accidentally summoning a smushy- faced reality bender instead of her flaming dimensional double. Steelheart was not amused.

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Sidetheory: What if Steelheart was EmperorPun but declined to use this power himself because he thought people would be a bit less afraid of him if he kept comparing his empire to a tangerine.

• 1 month later...
  • Chaos locked this topic