What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

I ended up having a lot of fun with Tucker's Path of Flames. After a bit of a unsteady start (the main thing was it started with a battle scene and I didn't know who to cheer for because I didn't know any of the characters) it ended up being a nice blend of old school and new school fantasy. Onwards to book 2 called The Black Shriving!

Finished up the Southern Reach trilogy. I don't even know if I liked it. It is one of those unresolved endings you are supposed to make your own assumptions. It was very interesting and thought provoking with excellent prose but for sure not spoon feed to you left ultimately unresolved. I will say it was very unique. 

A while ago I read The Shadow of What Was Lost by James Islington and really liked it then kind of forgot about it. I just saw the second book to the series has been out for a while and the third is being published in the summer. I am rereading the first one (forgot almost everything except the fact I liked it enough to email the author and congratulate hm on his first book) and then I'll jump in to the second book. 

Edited by StormingTexan

Worked my way through Oathbringer in a marathon session; I can safely say that it was worth it. 

Past that, I recently read Railsea, by China Mieville. An interesting read, definitely, with a unique world that leaves more questions behind than it answers. Worth noting, though, the prose is pretty out of the ordinary, and takes some getting used to. 

Also recently, The Name of the Wind for about the billionth time. 

Just finished up the Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King. I've read a few of King's books. IT, Shinning, Dark Tower, The Mist, and my favorites the Green Mile and the Stand. Besides Dark tower which is fantasy'ish, Eyes of the Dragon is his first full on fantasy book. And it is awesome. I highly recommend it, and it's smaller compared to his book, only about 450 pages. 

Finally finished the Demon Cycle as well. The Core was a great ending to the series. I have a few issues with it, but overall it was great from start to finish. 

27 minutes ago, Kered said:

Just finished up the Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King. I've read a few of King's books. IT, Shinning, Dark Tower, The Mist, and my favorites the Green Mile and the Stand. Besides Dark tower which is fantasy'ish, Eyes of the Dragon is his first full on fantasy book. And it is awesome. I highly recommend it, and it's smaller compared to his book, only about 450 pages. 

Finally finished the Demon Cycle as well. The Core was a great ending to the series. I have a few issues with it, but overall it was great from start to finish. 

Eyes of the Dragon is my favorite Stephen King book. 

Finished my re-read of The Shadow of What Was Lost. Even better the second time. Not perfect but a pretty dang good debut Fantasy novel. I get the comparisons to WoT and see Sanderson's influence but it still had enough original elements to keep me interested. I'd highly recommend checking it out if you havent read it.  Really excited about starting the second book! 

1 hour ago, StormingTexan said:

Finished my re-read of The Shadow of What Was Lost. Even better the second time. Not perfect but a pretty dang good debut Fantasy novel. I get the comparisons to WoT and see Sanderson's influence but it still had enough original elements to keep me interested. I'd highly recommend checking it out if you havent read it.  Really excited about starting the second book! 

I am going to give this another shot; only got a third of the way through the first one before giving up. I keep on hearing people rave about it so I am currently hold number 6 on two copies at my library. I have been known to vastly change my opinion on a book so we will see!

37 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

I am going to give this another shot; only got a third of the way through the first one before giving up. I keep on hearing people rave about it so I am currently hold number 6 on two copies at my library. I have been known to vastly change my opinion on a book so we will see!

I'll admit if you are a WoT and/or Sanderson fan (which most of us are) it will feel pretty familiar. That may be good or bad depending on your own opinion. It is also a debut book so there are some things that are not perfect. 

@StormingTexan It is a very real possibility that I came in with too high expectations. I discovered this series by reading a review where they say, "And based on this book, Islington deserves those comparisons to genre stalwarts. Love The Wheel of Time? This is about to become your new favorite series."

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/shadow-lost-introduces-fresh-fantasy-voice/

Yeah that’s a little bit of a heavy handed review. I actually feel bad for new authors that get compared to the apex authors of thier genere. It’s easy to then compare them to those when you read the book and they will almost never live up to those expectations. I actually had zero expectations for the book. In fact I got the audio book first soley because Michael Kramer was the narrator and didn’t know anything about it. It’s a tough one to follow completely in the audio format so I  read it this time. Hopefully you will like it more the second time. I do that sometimes too. I duck as I say this but I didn’t like tWoK the first time I read it. 

Edited by StormingTexan

Hah I was about to give up on The Way of Kings, but switching to the audiobook really helped for me. I have gone back and read sections of it so it wouldn't be a problem if I wanted to read the entire thing; but why would I? Krammer and Reading are such a delight!

1 hour ago, Ammanas said:

Hah I was about to give up on The Way of Kings, but switching to the audiobook really helped for me. I have gone back and read sections of it so it wouldn't be a problem if I wanted to read the entire thing; but why would I? Krammer and Reading are such a delight!

Man they have a way of making the books come alive.

48 minutes ago, maxal said:

Do you recommend it? I read the synopsis and it does sound interesting.

I know your question was put to BK, but I was one of the ones who convinced him to read it. The writing style doesn't jive with some people, but I love it and Grace of Kings is one of my favorite books. The author weaves his tale by switching back and force between macro and micro, past and present. It is never confusing and the payoff is in my opinion a majestic book. This book isn't for everyone, but one should definitely give it a try!

6 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

I know your question was put to BK, but I was one of the ones who convinced him to read it. The writing style doesn't jive with some people, but I love it and Grace of Kings is one of my favorite books. The author weaves his tale by switching back and force between macro and micro, past and present. It is never confusing and the payoff is in my opinion a majestic book. This book isn't for everyone, but one should definitely give it a try!

What's wrong with the writing style which doesn't work with some readers?

15 minutes ago, maxal said:

What's wrong with the writing style which doesn't work with some readers?

I think, from what I understand, they don't like it when he switches to what I call the "macro" mode of telling the story. He tells of events kind of like reading a historical account. One thing that I love about this method is that it really moves the plot along. I have always been more of a plot guy.

Some readers prefer getting into characters heads and hearing about every thought, emotion etc. and the author doesn't write the story like that. 

2 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

I think, from what I understand, they don't like it when he switches to what I call the "macro" mode of telling the story. He tells of events kind of like reading a historical account. One thing that I love about this method is that it really moves the plot along. I have always been more of a plot guy.

Some readers prefer getting into characters heads and hearing about every thought, emotion etc. and the author doesn't write the story like that. 

Ah. I am more of the second type of readers. Hard to say if I will enjoy it though.

4 hours ago, maxal said:

Do you recommend it? I read the synopsis and it does sound interesting.

Yes try it. It has a wonderfully strange writing style where so much happens with as little words as possible is my best way of describing the way it’s written. Bk 2 has been a treat as well 115+ pgs in.

reading Grace and Slogbringer at the same time really highlighted how cool the style was.