Where are the Northern and Southern People Really?

Iredomi

Okay this may have been asked already... or it might might be obvious but I was wondering how exactly did Harmony change Scadrial? I ask this because if the Northern Scadrial peoples were living at the north pole and Harmony corrected everything are they now living closer to the equator than before or have the magnetic poles been moved? Because my understanding of it is if they still lived at the poles it would be snowy conditions in Alloy of Law. Just hope that made sense and hopefully someone has an answer for me. Thanks =)

Edited by Iredomi

I don't know if it's been confirmed exactly where they are now in relation to poles/equator, but they are still referred to as the northern and southern continents. So whilst Elendel is almost certainly still north of the equator, it needn't be as near the pole as before. Keep in mind that at the end of HoA Sazed did move the land so that everyone exiting the storage caches were close to each other, so the landscape must have been reshaped drastically. 

sazed surely moved all the storage caches so they would be in the same place. he also created the elendel basin, and he removed the ashmounts. We don't know how radical are the transformations he did otherwise. But we can be sure he moved the people in the southern continet too, otherwise they would have found themselves suddenly in the middle of antartica and would all have died.

I wonder why he choose to keep the popolations separated.

sazed surely moved all the storage caches so they would be in the same place. he also created the elendel basin, and he removed the ashmounts. We don't know how radical are the transformations he did otherwise. But we can be sure he moved the people in the southern continet too, otherwise they would have found themselves suddenly in the middle of antartica and would all have died.

I wonder why he choose to keep the popolations separated.

What are you talking about? There is no Antartica in Scadrial. Scadrial isn't Earth.

What are you talking about? There is no Antartica in Scadrial. Scadrial isn't Earth.

There might not be an Antarctica but there is an antarctic which in most people's minds are synonymous with each other.  We know Scadrial isn't Earth, that is immanently obvious.  King of Nowhere was likely using a metaphor relate-able to us as Earthlings.

As for the question at hand, if I remember correctly the Final Empire was not at the True North Pole but the Magnetic North Pole (compasses pointed towards Luthadel).  I think it was at a more temperate latitude (but on the northern end of that range) since the northern dominances were colder than the southern ones.  If it was at the TNP then the central dominances would be colder than the outer dominances instead.  Also the day/night cycle wasn't as wonky as it would have been at the TNP.

When Sazed fixed the world I would expect he nudged them into the more central temperate latitudes.  I don't remember any references to compasses in Alloy but I think Sazed would probably have shifted the MNP closer to the TNP as well.

The Southern Peoples would likely by the inverse of the above (southern instead of northern, and vice versa)

This is all very interesting and informative thank you. And King of nowhere you propose an interesting question, why would Harmony keep the two separate... I think it may have something to do with how they have developed and maybe having both peoples suddenly together may not be conducive to a healthy growth. But what do I know anyhow. Thank you all for clearing up my confusion about what was going on. Forgot completely about the MNP and the TNP being separate.

As I recall the LR didn't move them to the top of the planet because he realised it would screw with the day night cycle. They are near the top, with the Terris dominance closest to the North pole. The LR did move the Well of Ascension to hide it (and rebuilt the Terris mountains to the north as a decoy) which had the side effect of moving the magnetic pole for some reason. I wish I could remember where I read all this, but I don't have my coppermind nearby...

And yes, that is a brilliant observation... why did Harmony keep the people's separate?

• Chaos locked this topic