What does burning gold do?

Khmauv

I am forming this theory as I write so forgive me. I was reading TFE where Vin uses gold for the first time. Kelsier repeatedly tells her it is an uncomfortable experience. She repeats this sentiment after she tries it, along with the desire to never try it again. It is possible that because the experience is so uncomfortable, gold is so expensive, and the benefit of its use are not readily apparent, that few if any have made the effort to truly understand it.

This brings me to wonder, "What does gold really do?" 

Below is Vin’s experience with gold in TFE (Transcribed by me from the audiobook. Please forgive any punctuational discrepancies.)

She was in two places at once. She could see herself, and she could she herself. One of her was a strange woman changed and transformed from the girl she had always been. That girl had been careful and cautious. A girl who would never burn an unfamiliar metal based solely on the word of one man. This woman foolish, she had forgotten many of things that had let her survive so long. She drank from cups prepared by others. She fraternized with Strangers. She didn’t keep track of the people around her. She was still far more careful than most people, but she had lost so much.

The other her was something she had always secretly loathed, a child really. Thin to the point of scrawniness, she was lonely, hateful, and untrusting. She loved no one and no one loved her. She always told herself quietly that she didn’t care. Was there something worth living for? There had to be. Life couldn’t be as pathetic as it seemed.  Yet it had to be. There wasn’t anything else.

Vin was both. She stood in two places, moving both bodies, being both girl and woman. She reached out with hesitant uncertain hands, one each, and touched herself on the faces, one each. Vin gasped and it was gone.

She felt a sudden rush of emotions, a sense of worthlessness and confusion. There were no chairs in the room so she simply squatted to the ground, sitting with her back to the wall, knees pulled up arms wrapped around them.

What I learned from this…

-       Burning gold produces a second version of yourself that only you can see. 

-       Vin felt as though she were both versions of herself simultaneously.

-       She seemed to scrutinize each “self” from the eyes of the other.

-       We know that when her gold ran out, Vin had a latent effect where it seems she had, briefly, taken      upon herself attributes of the “other self”.

Kelsier explains that just like atium lets you see into the future, gold lets you see the past, or at least another version of yourself, had things been different in the past. But I don’t think this is the case. Many times throughout TFE, Vin thinks to herself how she is like two different people. Vin the street urchin and Vin the noblewoman. She also notices that both seem to be masks of her true self, that the ash smeared face and ragged clothes of the street urchin is a costume to hide her true identity just as much as the makeup and dresses that ‘Vallete’ wears keep her hidden among the nobility.

So here is my theory. Gold is the identity metal. I know that Brandon will be exploring identity in the future and I think gold will be the vessel of exploration.

What I am uncertain about is what identity does for a member of the cosmere, and how can it be used in "cool and interesting" ways. 

I am toying with a few ideas.

1. a strong identity of self could make you less susceptible to emotional allomancy. Knowing yourself could                  enable you to better recognize external influences( I personally find this boring.) 

2. You could not only solidify your identity but you could change your identity, by making distinct aliases with flawless mannerisms.

3. Or perhaps more interestingly you could alter you spiritual Identity to use another's metalminds.

I don't know my imagination is somewhat limited. What are your thoughts? 

edit: I double pasted. woops!

Edited by Khmauv

Sorry, I know this is slightly OT, but has Brandon confirmed what Shadows of Self will be about? The name instantly makes me think of Gold Allomancy.

As for uses for Identity... it depends on how Identity works Realmatically. So here's a notion - if you store lots of your Identity at once, it removes your spiritual connections. People would not recognise you, or remember interacting with you. I suppose reverse this for tapping? (So people would THINK they know you, or alternatively their memories of you would become incredibly sharp and clear whilst tapping).

I think Miles' experience burning gold is very interesting in your theory. Both his selves hate each other, which seems like an interesting bit of Identity issues. However I think Identity in a Cosmere sense is more of a Spiritual aspect than you are accounting for. Senor Feesh I think has the right idea, where Identity is very closely tied to spiritual connections. I suspect that storing large amounts of Identity might be a way to hide yourself from people in Shadesmar. This whole discussion enters a lot of Realmatics though and might be better in the Cosmere section.

The only issue is that Gold is definitely a Temporal metal and identity doesn't have much to do with time.

Isn't that an in-world classification though? Not to discount it (not enough evidence for or against), but Brandon does like to remind us that characters make mistakes

Isn't that an in-world classification though? Not to discount it (not enough evidence for or against), but Brandon does like to remind us that characters make mistakes

Technically yes, but we've been able to predict the uses of some metals through it, (Chromium and Nicrosil were speculated to do what they do because they're the external enhancement metals) And considering that its Alloy is definitely Temporal as well I'd say they were fairly spot on with its accuracy.

I think the answer to the OP's question might be found in studying the name of a gold Misting.

The Ars Arcanum refers to gold Mistings as Augurs. A quick hop over to Wikipedia states that the term Augur was given to priests that would study the movement of birds and determine the will of the gods based on the movement of the birds. Specifically, the article states that the purpose of an Augur is to "not predict what course of action should be taken, but through his augury he finds signs on whether or not a course already decided upon meets with divine sanction and should proceed." This is consistent with the Ars Arcanum, which states that burning gold allows the Allomancer to see "what they might have been had they made different choices in the past."

With this in mind, I have a counter-theory on what burning gold does: I believe that gold allows you to see all of the individual facets of your identity at once and to experience all of those facets of your identity at once. Most importantly, it shows you the facets of your identity that were created by making a cognitive decision to add that facet of your identity to your overall self.

I believe the reason why Vin and Miles only saw two versions of themselves was because they had only made one cognitively driven choice that substantially affected their identity as a human being: Vin chose to embrace the identity of the noblewoman and Miles chose to embrace the identity of the terrorist. In my opinion, if someone like Wayne were granted gold Allomancy and burned gold or if an Oracle Misting burned electrum and then looked at Wayne, they would see dozens of shadows - dozens of identities that Wayne has embraced and created and added to his overall identity.

The big question, though, that makes this whole theory a bit threadbare is Why? What advantage does an Allomancer get from being able to see all of the facets of their identity at once? The only answer that I can come up with involves Nicrobursting - it may be that if an Augur is nicrobursted while burning gold, he can basically "make the choice over again" and change one part of his identity into something else...

Sorry, I know this is slightly OT, but has Brandon confirmed what Shadows of Self will be about? The name instantly makes me think of Gold Allomancy.

Just putting this out there, but since

Miles is dead,

I actually think Shadows of Self is referring to an Oracle. Electrum's power will be revealed.

We saw Miles was able to look at himself as somebody from the outside, and was able to honestly notice things about himself he wouldn't have picke dup on otherwise. All unknown powers aside, Gold helps you know and fix yourself, even if it is in the most brutal way possible.

Edited by Observer

Isn't electrum basically external atium though? They had it in HoA. Or did you mean Electrum's ferruchemical ability?

Internal Atium you mean? Let's you see your own future actions rather than others IIRC

The only issue is that Gold is definitely a Temporal metal and identity doesn't have much to do with time.

This is a good point. It does seem to fit nicely with respect to the other metals, gold letting you see what you could have been, and electrum what you could become. I know I am stretching here but we have only seen electrum used as an atium counter. Maybe it's uses in non-combat setting could be very different, if flared or duralumin/nicrosil burst, it could allow you to see a distant result to you current choice to help you become what you want to be. Maybe that has less to do with spiritual identity and more with taking control of your life. I don't know. I kind of just wanted explore the possibilities that gold might offer.

I think the answer to the OP's question might be found in studying the name of a gold Misting.

The Ars Arcanum refers to gold Mistings as Augurs. A quick hop over to Wikipedia states that the term Augur was given to priests that would study the movement of birds and determine the will of the gods based on the movement of the birds. Specifically, the article states that the purpose of an Augur is to "not predict what course of action should be taken, but through his augury he finds signs on whether or not a course already decided upon meets with divine sanction and should proceed." This is consistent with the Ars Arcanum, which states that burning gold allows the Allomancer to see "what they might have been had they made different choices in the past."

With this in mind, I have a counter-theory on what burning gold does: I believe that gold allows you to see all of the individual facets of your identity at once and to experience all of those facets of your identity at once. Most importantly, it shows you the facets of your identity that were created by making a cognitive decision to add that facet of your identity to your overall self.

I believe the reason why Vin and Miles only saw two versions of themselves was because they had only made one cognitively driven choice that substantially affected their identity as a human being: Vin chose to embrace the identity of the noblewoman and Miles chose to embrace the identity of the terrorist. In my opinion, if someone like Wayne were granted gold Allomancy and burned gold or if an Oracle Misting burned electrum and then looked at Wayne, they would see dozens of shadows - dozens of identities that Wayne has embraced and created and added to his overall identity.

The big question, though, that makes this whole theory a bit threadbare is Why? What advantage does an Allomancer get from being able to see all of the facets of their identity at once? The only answer that I can come up with involves Nicrobursting - it may be that if an Augur is nicrobursted while burning gold, he can basically "make the choice over again" and change one part of his identity into something else...

Maybe if used at a critical juncture in your life the effects of gold/electrum may help you make a more informed decision to direct your life. Sounds boring now. 

We saw Miles was able to look at himself as somebody from the outside, and was able to honestly notice things about himself he wouldn't have picke dup on otherwise. All unknown powers aside, Gold helps you know and fix yourself, even if it is in the most brutal way possible.

It does seem that evidences point to this it just seems so mundane. I keep trying to this of something more...useful/exciting.

Just putting this out there, but since

Miles is dead,

I actually think Shadows of Self is referring to an Oracle. Electrum's power will be revealed.

I'd actually like future books to be from POV's of people with powers we haven't explored much, like Oracles, Smokers, Leechers, Nicrobursts, and some types of Ferrings.

It does seem that evidences point to this it just seems so mundane. I keep trying to this of something more...useful/exciting.

In real-world terms, Augurs, with proper use of their powers, could be some of the most well-adjusted, confident and balanced people on the planet.  It would be painful, I imagine.  My limited attempts at doing this (reading my journal) certainly can be.  In practical terms, though, it could actually be very useful.

I mean, talk about self-help...

In real-world terms, Augurs, with proper use of their powers, could be some of the most well-adjusted, confident and balanced people on the planet.  It would be painful, I imagine.  My limited attempts at doing this (reading my journal) certainly can be.  In practical terms, though, it could actually be very useful.

I mean, talk about self-help...

But could it make a good story? Perhaps with the infinitely imaginative mind of Mr. (robot-o) Sanderson it could. I just can't think of anything exciting in it.

But could it make a good story? Perhaps with the infinitely imaginative mind of Mr. (robot-o) Sanderson it could. I just can't think of anything exciting in it.

Any exploring of yet to be explored or barely explored Allomantic/Feruchemical powers would make an exciting story to me.

Any exploring of yet to be explored or barely explored Allomantic/Feruchemical powers would make an exciting story to me.

Any exploring?

Auger: I presume you've prepared new insults for today.

Thug:Your mother lies with many men.

Auger: I have no such information.

Thug: You are neither ferring, nor real allomancer -- and therefore, have no place in the universe.

Auger: This is your thirty-fifth attempt to elicit an emotional response from me. You should have realized by now that I burn gold daily to unsure I that I live my life according to divine sanction. You words are hollow and meaningless to me.

Thug: (interally) He's so strong! How can ever hope to intimidate an Auger? 

• 2 weeks later...

Any exploring?

Auger: I presume you've prepared new insults for today.

Thug:Your mother lies with many men.

Auger: I have no such information.

Thug: You are neither ferring, nor real allomancer -- and therefore, have no place in the universe.

Auger: This is your thirty-fifth attempt to elicit an emotional response from me. You should have realized by now that I burn gold daily to unsure I that I live my life according to divine sanction. You words are hollow and meaningless to me.

Thug: (interally) He's so strong! How can ever hope to intimidate an Auger? 

I laughed so hard at this. Where am I recognizing this allusion from?

Also, with regard to the theory connecting Gold to identity, while it is true that Gold is a temporal metal, I wonder if Aluminium Feruchemy could be used to store these shadow identities. A Gold/Aluminum Twinborn might actually be really interesting, able to have several different versions of themselves 'living' in different Metalminds able to be drawn in appropriate situations... or you could tap them all at once and have multiple personality disorder...

EDIT: Voyager? Is that the allusion?

Edited by Kadrok

I laughed so hard at this. Where am I recognizing this allusion from?

Also, with regard to the theory connecting Gold to identity, while it is true that Gold is a temporal metal, I wonder if Aluminium Feruchemy could be used to store these shadow identities. A Gold/Aluminum Twinborn might actually be really interesting, able to have several different versions of themselves 'living' in different Metalminds able to be drawn in appropriate situations... or you could tap them all at once and have multiple personality disorder...

EDIT: Voyager? Is that the allusion?

Wow awesome idea!

• Chaos locked this topic