Being a Smoker is the most boring Allomancer you can be (other than gnats)

kroen

I'm not talking about usefulness here, I'm talking about pure interest. Here, let me show you what I mean by listing some Mistings that are considered boring, and why they're, in fact, not as boring as Smokers.

Seekers: Can spend months, even years perfecting their abilities, which include: Identifying each Allomantic pulse and knowing which metal is being burnt; assessing how much metal reserves other Allomancers have; and it the case of emotional Allomancy, figure out which emotions you're being manipulated with.

Augurs: Not much in the way of training here, but at least they see something.

Oracles: Same as Augurs.

Smokers: They just burn their metal and that's it. They don't see or sense anything unusual, and there's really no training involved. Just complete and utter boredom.

Anyone want to play devil's advocate and tell me why I'm wrong? (and please only use canon and WOB. you can theorize all you want that Smokers can train to exclude people from being smoked/increase or reduce the size of their coppercloud/protect other people from emotional Allomancy, etc. but none of these things is confirmed. so please use things we know for sure.)

Oracles could potentially be super-awesome-ninjas, observing their own future actions and adapting accordingly, btw.

There is WoB on Smokers protecting others from emotional allomancy:

Source

Q. This is a very very minor spoiler. It’s just a statement that was made in Alloy of Law, that Smokers could…
A. Oh yeah. That was just a typo.
Q. Is that going to change things?
A. Wait, go ahead and say it.
Q. Can Copperclouds shield others emotions?
A. Oh okay. Did we put that in Alloy of Law in the Ars Arcanum? Is that where you read it?
Q. I forget. I don’t remember where it is.
A. I believe it’s in the Ars Arcanum, which in Alloy of Law was put together by Peter. And that’s mostly a mistake, though the thing is the Role Playing Game came to me and said “Is it feasible that this could happen?” And I said “It’s perhaps feasible, but only a very rare individual could make this work if they knew exactly what they were doing.” And so I said “Yeah, go ahead, but make it a power that someone really has to know what they’re doing to make it work.” And so they put it in, and so Peter assumed that it was canon, that anyone can do it, but that’s not what I intended.
Q. So would it be easier to say that somebody discovered they could do it and now they are training copperclouds to do it?
A. I would say that it is viable that someone could figure it out, but it would be a very difficult thing to train, and it is not a common Coppercloud- A common Coppercloud isn’t going to be able to be doing it, and almost no Mistborn will ever be capable of doing it, they just don’t focus on that metal enough to learn it. Of course, there aren’t Mistborn around anymore .So it is a possible power, it is plausible, but it is not the standard. Perhaps I will allow it to become the standard eventually, but it’s not right now. It would be much easier to wear a tinfoil hat. (laughter)

There's no need to be so hostile to theorizing, either. We haven't seen any Smoker's doing anything or much interest in them in the series, so it falls mostly to us to think of what they can do.

Edited by Kurkistan

I agree they are boring in their current state but, it seems to me that Brandon leaves these things vague until he wants to show us something cool. He hasn't really revealed anything about smokers other than their importance to skaa mistings. I have a feeling we just haven't been given enough insight into the workings of a smoker to understand how interesting they can be. He has hinted already that he is going to do some cool stuff with Augers 

Boring is subjective. I find the idea of being undetectable from Seekers and immune to Soothers and Rioters to be quite exciting. And you know how in-demand you are for crews? There's only one word for a crew without a decent Smoker.

Dead.

Boring is subjective. I find the idea of being undetectable from Seekers and immune to Soothers and Rioters to be quite exciting. And you know how in-demand you are for crews? There's only one word for a crew without a decent Smoker.

Dead.

Again, I wasn't talking about usefulness. I never denied that being a Smoker is useful. I just said it was boring. Accountants are useful to our society, but their job is still boring for most people. The two don't contradict.

Soothers and Rioters don't have any visible effects immediately either, it'd still be incredibly interesting to be one.

Yes they do, they can clrearly see how their emotional manipulation is affecting the people they use it on.

Edited by kroen

I've never really thought of getting lung cancer as boring..

Alright, I admit, that pun was awful. In all seriousness, Smokers seem to be able to supress the telltale signs of investure with their abilities. The uses for that are manyfold, but I guess you could still call them boring. So, instead, focus not on the power, but on the jobs it gives you. Being the one who determines what kind of emotional allomancer is in a room and what they're trying to do sounds exciting to me. Being on a crew and watching the action, while never being in much danger yourself, is also highly desireable, and very exciting.

Edited by Observer

Yes they do, they can clrearly see how their emotional manipulation is affecting the people they use it on.

And Smokers can see its effects on nearby seekers, actually if anything they can feel more than a Soother or Rioter, because they get direct sensory feedback, if someone's using emotional allomancy on you and you turn on your copper that's a direct change in sense perception.

I've never really thought of getting lung cancer as boring..

Alright, I admit, that pun was awful. In all seriousness, Smokers seem to be able to supress the telltale signs of investure with their abilities. The uses for that are manyfold, but I guess you could still call them boring. So, instead, focus not on the power, but on the jobs it gives you. Being the one who determines what kind of emotional allomancer is in a room and what they're trying to do sounds exciting to me. Being on a crew and watching the action, while never being in much danger yourself, is also highly desireable, and very exciting.

You're confusing Smokers with Seekers. Smokers can't detect anything.

And as another guy said in another thread, another reason Smokers are boring is because there is no differentiation between a novice Smoker and a "good" Smoker. There is literally no difference, as there is no way for them to train their ability. What they have is what they get. Furthermore, there is no point in flaring their copper or have a Nicroburst super charge it. All other Mistings (except, maybe, for Augurs) can improve their ability by flaring and perform magnificent feats by super charging. Again I am not talking about usefulness. Sure, being part of a team might be exciting but again that's not what I'm talking about. 

Edit: I actually wish that in one of the next books in Scadrial we will experience at least some of the story through the POV of a Smoker so we could get more insight into Smoking. 

P.S. You know what would be awesome? If skilled Smokers could see lines (similar to metal lines seen by Coinshots/Lurchers) leading to Allomancers and even if they don't burn their metal, and determine what kind of Allomancer they are by the width/shape of the line.

Edited by kroen

• Chaos locked this topic