Worst Fears

Tetriona

Okay, so, I've asked this question a couple of times in the AMAs but I want to go ahead and start a topic for it. What would you consider your worst fears that you have now?

Personally, I'm going to go with Spiders and running out of books to read.  :P

(and yes, if people ever suddenly start become Epics, I will discontinue this topic and hope that you all know how to defend yourselves... ;) )

One of my all-time favorite seminary lessons was one where our teacher had us all write down our biggest fear on a piece of paper and drop it in a glass jar. The teacher then headed up to the front and read all the anonymous fears. There wasn't much of classic phobias, it was more along the lines of what Lark said. That lesson really stuck with me.

Failure. Getting things wrong. Not being good enough.

Yes. I feel you here, Lark. Though I suspect in a different way than you. 

Edited by Slowswift

Phobia: Taxidermy. Every time I look at a mounted deer head I find my heart pounding and my attitude suddenly becoming one of quiet fear. I simply can't relax knowing there's one of those freakish, staring stuffed carcasses in the room with me. Which sucks, since I live in Texas, where everyone and their dog wants you to see the massive buck head hanging in their home or place of business. <_<

More-or-Less Legitimate Fear: Animals under my care dying. When I was a kid I was responsible for the family chicken coop, and one night raccoons exploited a flaw in the coop design and massacred forty of them. The next morning I found forty dead and mutilated chickens, and a few more who were so painfully wounded my father had to mercy-kill them.

While I know it wasn't my fault--I was only twelve, and not responsible for the coop design--it had a big impact on me. Every night I feel the compulsion to check the coop multiple times before going to bed, to the point that some nights I've actually gotten out of bed and gone outside in the middle of the night to make sure the coop is properly sealed. I'm terrified of having the birds trusted into my care slaughtered by some sadistic wild animal, all because of a simple and easily fixable farmyard error. :unsure:

I am afraid of:

1) Robbers into the night stepping inside with a gun and shooting at me  :huh:

2) Fire in the house

3) Thunder  :ph34r:

I used to watch Emergency 911 as a kid and most of these story cases stuck with me, hence my fears... That show was NOT appropriate for children  -_-

Back when I was at University, I was afraid at failure, that I would not get a grade I considered good enough (typically, an A :rolleyes: , yeah I was that kind of obsessive student). I ended up developing insomnia because I got so anxious I would fail  :rolleyes:

I am not afraid of that anymore. When I mess up at work, I mess up. I just tell the manager, gee we missed it, but we are going to fix it by doing this and that. I try to teach my own kid not to be afraid to fail, to just get back on their feet and do it again or search for a solution.

Phobia: Taxidermy. Every time I look at a mounted deer head I find my heart pounding and my attitude suddenly becoming one of quiet fear. I simply can't relax knowing there's one of those freakish, staring stuffed carcasses in the room with me. Which sucks, since I live in Texas, where everyone and their dog wants you to see the massive buck head hanging in their home or place of business. <_<

More-or-Less Legitimate Fear: Animals under my care dying. When I was a kid I was responsible for the family chicken coop, and one night raccoons exploited a flaw in the coop design and massacred forty of them. The next morning I found forty dead and mutilated chickens, and a few more who were so painfully wounded my father had to mercy-kill them.

While I know it wasn't my fault--I was only twelve, and not responsible for the coop design--it had a big impact on me. Every night I feel the compulsion to check the coop multiple times before going to bed, to the point that some nights I've actually gotten out of bed and gone outside in the middle of the night to make sure the coop is properly sealed. I'm terrified of having the birds trusted into my care slaughtered by some sadistic wild animal, all because of a simple and easily fixable farmyard error. :unsure:

I'm not joking. That was the saddest story I've ever heard. Deserves upvotes :ph34r:

I can't do public speaking, even in a class of 12 other people I know well, i still freak out and forget how to speak.

And the boats and water both came from nearly drowning, one in a pool and the other on a boat in a thunderstorm.

Lark, where do you live? If it's Miami, I'm afraid I'll have to assassinate you on account of "I don't want you to turn into Red," my Oregon character. 

*Begins packing to move even farther from Miami*

Referencing Terry Pratchet, isn't it the ground you have to be scared of? It's not the height that hurts you, it's the ground.

I'm not afraid of the ground.  The ground is my friend.  When it is close, my equilibrium is normal.  Things only get wonky when it gets far away.

I'm not afraid of the ground.  The ground is my friend.  When it is close, my equilibrium is normal.  Things only get wonky when it gets far away.

Very true (and I'll just not that I am really not at all fond of heights. Standing too near the hand rail of a lookout that's high up makes me super anxious). The issue is the ground is no longer a friend when you're at height. 

Very true (and I'll just not that I am really not at all fond of heights. Standing too near the hand rail of a lookout that's high up makes me super anxious). The issue is the ground is no longer a friend when you're at height. 

This is why one should not forsake the ground.  She gets angry when you leave her all alone.

Referencing Terry Pratchet, isn't it the ground you have to be scared of? It's not the height that hurts you, it's the ground.

no, you love the ground. That's why you can't bear to be separated by it.

I also have a pretty bad case of vertigo, which I would not counnt as "main fear" because it's strictly situational and not bothering me in normal life; I mean, it's not like I worry that I may fall off a cliff, I just stay away from them. But it's quite a strange version of vertigo, because it does not manifest if I am safely secured. Just being 2 meters away from an unproteccted 10-meters drop can make me uncomfortable, or driving a car on a road with a cliff on its side, but if I am harnessed with a rope I can go climb a rock  wall and dangle from it without feeling bad in the slightest. I also have no problems whatsoever with airplanes and rollercoaster.

I'd like to claim that my vertigo is a rational feeling that only activates when there is real danger, but then, the chances of tripping on a mountain path and falling down the cliff to death are no greater than the chances of tripping while walking along the road and being crushed to death by a passing car, yet I only fear one of the two things.