Special extended edition

I read that sanderson was worried that stormlight 2 was proceeding too slowly, and he should have to cut scenes for pacing reasons. Pacing is important because if the story goes too slowly, regular readers will lose interest in it.

However, there are also the diehard fans, who will not care if the story is slow and will appreciate the extra bit of caracther interaction even if it don0't further the plot and don't give much characterization.

So I'm thinking, brandon could release, after the book proper, a special extended edition (ebook only, probably) that contains all the scenes cut for pacing reasons. All the interactions with the secondary characters that were deemed too unimportant to the main plot, all the info dump that regular readers don't care about but we do.

Wouldn't that be great? Any chance of getting something like it?

Isn't there already a deleted scenes section for several books on the website?

That's different: those are scenes that were deleted after the plot was altered significantly. For example the fool prince in elantris, who got cut out entirely, or the variations on the prologue of mistborn, where the evolution of the sequence is shown. Those are chapters that don't fit into the actual narrative anymore.

What I was thinking of was chapters that fit into the current narrative and got cut out solely for pacing reasons.

That's different: those are scenes that were deleted after the plot was altered significantly. For example the fool prince in elantris, who got cut out entirely, or the variations on the prologue of mistborn, where the evolution of the sequence is shown. Those are chapters that don't fit into the actual narrative anymore.

What I was thinking of was chapters that fit into the current narrative and got cut out solely for pacing reasons.

Well, I'm also thinking of the alternate ending for Well of Ascension.

It would be a very good idea in theory, but the publishers will undoubtedly mess it up in application.  I wouldn't mind paying a "little" bit more for a more conclusive edition, but $100 plus for a special edition is nuts.  Wasn't the Legion hardcover originally listed for over $50?

All in all, it would probably just be more economical for everyone to just put the deleted scenes on his site.

Edited by Aethling

Well Brandon did at one point IIRC say that he wouldn't mind releasing like an epic collectors edition like they do with Video games, with extra material (I think he mentioned annotations) and like a statue, maybe a fabrial with fake gemstones or something for SA I guess. I'd pay over $100 for that.

Brandon is really good about making sure vital information gets into the book when and where it needs to. If he has to cut any particular scenes, he obviously won't choose the ones that are vital, and I have every faith that he'll give the readers what we need to know however he can. For example, if he has to cut a scene that only contained one or two important snippets of information, he might be able to work them into a different scene, making the whole narrative stronger.

As for the deleted scenes themselves, I'm in the "post it on the website" camp. That would be easier for everyone involved. Plus, there are also the annotations, where Brandon talks about a lot of cool stuff that either wasn't vital enough to make its way into the final product, or that we might have missed on our own. I imagine we'll get plenty of cool stuff with those, and they would be an ideal way to talk about what got cut when, and why.

Well Brandon did at one point IIRC say that he wouldn't mind releasing like an epic collectors edition like they do with Video games, with extra material (I think he mentioned annotations) and like a statue, maybe a fabrial with fake gemstones or something for SA I guess. I'd pay over $100 for that.

Do you remember where you heard that? It'd be seriously cool, but personally I've never heard anything along these lines.

Also, speaking of Stormlight Archive annotations, Brandon's been working on the TWoK ones lately :D

I think it was one of the interviews I transcribed, I'll try to find it.
EDIT: Found this about an AMOL special https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/179073183037661185

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=755#29 this is the one I was thinking of, the google+ hangout he did

Edited by Voidus

As much as people hate Eragon, the best example I know of extra materials was in the Extended version of Brisingr, but even that was a bit disappointing.  The bottom line is that it would be far cheaper for everyone involved and more readily available to everyone for him or Peter just to put the deleted scenes up on the website.

Sadly, there is no way on Earth that I would pay $100 for a few cut scenes and a plastic or pewter trinket.  There are people out there that will do that, but I am not one to do so.  Now if there was a great value in it like a leatherbound at $50, I would definately consider that.

• Chaos locked this topic