I may be reading way too much into this, but I noticed on my last re-read of the two SA books something that is bothering me. I asked Brandon about it on twitter, whether it was something significant or not, but never received a response. 

So what is stuck in my head and I can't get it out, is that every named spren involved in a Nahel bond so far has a "y" in the name, and that just seems very odd to me as it's an unusual letter for a name to me. 

• Jasnah - Ivory
  • Renarin - Glys
  • Kaladin - Syl
  • Shallan - "Pattern" (pg 220 he says "name is numbers...". I don't know much about math having stopped at calculus back in high school, but I would guess his true name is some sort of formula or algorithm related to shifting spiral patterns, which will have a "y" in it somewhere! 
  • Lift - Wyndle
  • Ym - unknown, but HIS name starts with a Y
  • Dalinar - the Storm Father's real name has not (yet?) been shared with Dalinar. He is calls himself the Shadow of the Almighty though. 

I'm not sure this is a theory so much as an observation, and I really don't think it has significance outside of maybe silly naming conventions that Brandon is using... just thought I would share and get it out of my mind by writing it down!

It will be interesting to see other spren and KR bonds forming and see their names though :)

UPDATE: added Lift/Wyndle who I egregiously overlooked. 

Edited by Green Hoodie Mistborn

Wyndle you missed that one and your right pattern name was given to him so does not count even if his name does not have a y I would disqualify it on ground that it's not a name in the traditional sense.

I definitely agree that there's a pattern here, so long as you ignore Pattern (see what I did there??)

To say anything further we'd need to know if "Ivory" and "Glys" are the Spren's name for themselves or if those are nicknames given by their humans.

...huh. I never noticed that.

Honestly, with Glys, my take is that its a variation of 'glyphs', which presumably would be important to a 'learned' order. Syl...only thing I could think of is a variation of "Still", which is ironic since she changes shapes and moves so often.

Fairly tenuous links though.

I think the 'y' in the names have nothing to do with being able to form a Nahel bond, or vice versa. It seems too pointless for something Brandon would do. Also, it has no connection to the intent of the shards spren are connected to. And as far as Pattern is concerned, I see something more like binary or something like that for his actual name, so it wouldn't have a y, but then that is just my own perception. Also, Sylphrena seems to be based on 'sylph' like CognitivePulsePattern said, which decreases the likelihood of the y being important. Lastly, I don't see why Stormfather couldn't be his real name and there is nothing to imply that he has another name. Its sort of like saying that since most of the KR so far have 'a's in their name and we don't know any more of Ym's name so all KR must have an 'a' in their name. 

Maybe Pattern's name is his "perfect truth", and his name is literally his entire life truthfully retold.

Woah, that makes A LOT of sense.

nd as far as Pattern is concerned, I see something more like binary or something like that for his actual name, so it wouldn't have a y, but then that is just my own perception.

Would it be his life retold in binary?

Wyndle you missed that one

Gah! I knew I was missing one while typing but couldn't think of it. Thanks, I'll update the OP. 

Maybe Pattern's name is his "perfect truth", and his name is literally his entire life truthfully retold.

I like this in concept, but then Cryptics would be impossible to name as every second their name would be changing...

I like this in concept, but then Cryptics would be impossible to name as every second their name would be changing...

In the Physical Realm it would be constantly elongating, hence why he refuses to attempt telling it. In the Cognitive Realm, "his" name would instead be the CONCEPT of "his" life told in perfect truth.

• Chaos locked this topic