Is White Sands going to happen???

So. . . I really need to know, is White Sands going to happen?

I mean, I know that the graphic novel will be published someday, but will the NOVEL novel ever come out? I also know that you can send him an email asking for it. Also, is that an unfinished draft, or a story for only "The Most Elite of Cosmeronauts"?

Those of you who know,PLEASE tell me, and refrain from saying any spoilers, because I know that Brandon has vetoed that. Thank you!!!!!

I personally haven't read it, but I do recall one Q&A with him where someone asked if White Sand would ever be released as a novel. He said there are no current plans to, but it is possible that he will one day.

Also, I think he finished White Sand, but it was never good enough to be published.

Edited by KamorianKandra

Yeah there are no current plans for there to be a prose release of White Sand, the graphic novel will be the canon release.  As for the version Brandon sends out, it's about the same level of quality as Elantris, maybe a little less, but it was good enough to get Brandon his agent.  It's a descent story, just not up to the caliber of Brandon's current skill.  There will be changes between the graphic novel and the version Brandon sends out.

I'm so excited for the graphic novel. I really hope it comes out this year (Dynamite had their graphic novels through November, so it's either coming in December or 2016, we'll find out later this month, I guess.)

He usually takes a few months.

Brandon has confirmed the first part (of three) would be released in 2015. (source, source)

There's also info. on his website, but I can't be bothered looking for it.

Does this mean that the plot will be roughly the same as the original?

Does this mean that the plot will be roughly the same as the original?

Roughly yes.  Brandon describes the differences as the same as would be done during a major revision, rather than a complete re-write.  One such differences is that Hoid will have a much expanded role (in the version he sends out he appears only in a reference to a past experience by one of the characters.).

Yeah, I asked him about this during the Goodreads Q&A. Here is his response: 

Are you planning to release White Sand as a graphic novel exclusively, or will the story be published as a regular novel further down the line? Either way, can't wait to read it!

Brandon Sanderson The plan is graphic novel right now. We'll see how the reception is, but I think it would be awesome if this entry into the cosmere story were always in graphic form.

General comments.

If I email him for a copy of White Sands, am I allowed to print it out and lend it to a friend who doesn't have a computer and thus wouldn't be able to read it otherwise? Obviously selling it is illegal, but I wanted to make sure I won't bring down The Bandersnatch's Wrath upon my household. He might just retcon me...

• 5 months later...

When I received my copy, Brandon asked me not to share it, so I think printing it for other than personal use would not be allowed. I would respectfully ask for permission to do this in your request, making it clear that you will not unless permission is specifically granted.

I got lucky with the timing of my request as I received a reply within 24 hours of asking. I just said what a fan I was and that I understood nothing in the book was canon. Hope that helps.

When I received my copy, Brandon asked me not to share it, so I think printing it for other than personal use would not be allowed. I would respectfully ask for permission to do this in your request, making it clear that you will not unless permission is specifically granted.

I got lucky with the timing of my request as I received a reply within 24 hours of asking. I just said what a fan I was and that I understood nothing in the book was canon. Hope that helps.

Lucky.  I've been waiting a little over a month now.

Cosmereonaut

C O S M E R E O N A U T S

This term put the term "Worldhoppers" and anyone using it instead of "Cosmereonauts" to shame.

Also "The Most Elite of Cosmereonauts"? IT'S  A STORY THAT MUST BE TOLD

Maybe in Era 4 of Scandrial, but my favorite is as White Sand 3 and referring to Khriss

My mind got blown

Cosmereonaut

C O S M E R E O N A U T S

This term put the term "Worldhoppers" and anyone using it instead of "Cosmereonauts" to shame.

Also "The Most Elite of Cosmereonauts"? IT'S  A STORY THAT MUST BE TOLD

Maybe in Era 4 of Scandrial, but my favorite is as White Sand 3 and referring to Khriss

My mind got blown

I've been using Cosmerenaut since I joined a year ago. Not a fan of the 'o' thrown in there, personally.

• 1 month later...

I posted this in the White Sand thread in General Brandon Discussion, but in the interest of improving visibility (I know I rarely look at anything but the Cosmere threads, myself, especially when I'm on my phone, because of the mobile format). This comes from Twitter:

Me: Will we see any promo art for White Sand soon? Really anxious to find out character design and such...

Brandon: We have permission to post some for my State of the Sanderson blog post, coming late this week or early next week.

• Chaos locked this topic