World misconceptions that are difficult to shift.

ljósmóður

I could say the same about english. Or probably any language, but especialy english.

Not saying my language (portuguese) is perfect of course, with the psychotic behavior of the X for exemple.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

I could say the same about english. Or probably any language, but especialy english.

Yeah... English. This language. Is really just other languages mushed together to form an incoherent sludge. But it lends itself well to poetry, I will say, with its ten different meanings/spellings for things. :)

Edited by Slowswift

Yeah... English. This language. Is really just other languages mushed together to form an incoherent sludge. But it lends itself well to poetry, I will say, with its ten different meanings/spellings for things. :)

And since its words in most grammatical classes are not limited to a set sufix, it is good for rhyming without worring too much about feeling like you are cheating by taking a cheap rhyme. Each language has its strenghts, I guess? Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

I think I pronounced almost all of those the exact same way, no joke. :mellow:

(I took a year of French and all I can remember from it is that half those letters don't need to be there and the other half aren't pronounced like they look.)

Being French, I had most of the pronunciations right. Yeah.

Fun with English: read and lead rhyme, but read and lead do not. Read and lead also rhyme, while read and lead do not. Pony and balogna rhyme, but that's just because English hates everyone.

The thing that probably trips me up the most is pronunciations. Redoing all of mine after finding out they were wrong is still difficult, even though I'm someone who reads them aloud a lot. Notable examples, with my bad pronunciations:

• Renarin (I said RIN-uh-rin instead of ren-AHR-in) - my darling son and I don't even know how to say his name???
  • Shallan (I said SHAH-lin instead of shuh-LAWN) - girl, why is your name weird like that
  • Jasnah, Jah Keved, Jakamav, Jezrien - all those "J's" are probably supposed to be "Y" sounds right?
  • Adolin (I said AH-doh-lin instead of AY-doh-lin) - I get tripped up on Adonalsium too. Why those long A sounds???

Whaaaaat?

I've never heard of any of these corrections! I must be pretty messed up.

Fun with English: read and lead rhyme, but read and lead do not. Read and lead also rhyme, while read and lead do not. Pony and balogna rhyme, but that's just because English hates everyone.

my favorite has always been this:

I before E except after C, or sounding in "A" as in neighbor or weigh, or on weekends or holidays or all throughout May and you'll always be wrong no matter what you say.

Edit: I think that's a Brian Reagan, someone correct me it that's wrong.

On Topic:

• Kelsier, Marsh, and just about everybody else on Scadrial has brown hair, just like every Alethi has Black hair. (Including Adolin)
  • Syl is blue. not blue-white, blue.
  • Stormlight is pale blue unless it's being filtered by a gem color. (i.e. stormlight rising from kaladin's skin is blue)
  • inquisitor eye-spikes stick out a good six inches on either side, and are the diamater of the average eye socket.
Edited by Emerald101

my favorite has always been this:

I before E except after C, or sounding in "A" as in neighbor or weigh, or on weekends or holidays or all throughout May and you'll always be wrong no matter what you say.

On Topic:

• Kelsier, Marsh, and just about everybody else on Scadrial has brown hair, just like every Alethi has Black hair. (Including Adolin)
  • Syl is blue. not blue-white, blue.
  • Stormlight is pale blue unless it's being filtered by a gem color. (i.e. stormlight rising from kaladin's skin is blue)
  • inquisitor eye-spikes stick out a good six inches on either side, and are the diamater of the average eye socket.

Sacrilege :o I tend to forget Adolin has some black in his hair: in my head he is a nearly pure golden head and whatever black he may have is pretty much hidden inside all the golden. 

Stormlight is yellow for me  -_-

Stormlight is green for me, go figure.

I don't think there is a correct pronunciation for Cosmere names. That is to say, even the pronunciations used by the audiobook readers and Brandon remain approximations of what the characters actually say. More, much more than likely, the in-universe languages have sounds our tongues cannot even pronounce, and widely different intonation systems from English (which is very easily summarised by a stressed/unstressed syllables split, whereas e.g. The Chinese Dialects each have at least 4 distinct and crucially important nuances of "stressed", and the French language has no predefined stressed syllables and stresses words differently depending on sentence construction).

Case in point, Brandon says, "I say Vin's name like an American would, but everyone in world would say it with a French accent. Same goes for Kelsier, (which they would say Kel-syay.) Again, I say it as an American would, but then I'm not from the Central Dominance."

And another relevant WoB:

Question

How do you pronounce the Mistborn Planet? [scadrial]

Brandon Sanderson

Sca (as in Scab) dri (as in drink) al (sounds like ul).

MEMBER OF AUDIENCE

Okay. I always said Sca (as in Skate) dri (as in drink) al (as in Albert)

BRANDON SANDERSON

That’s perfectly fine. This can launch me into my little thing on pronunciation. As readers, you get the say, you’re the director. I wrote the script. The director can always change things. If you want a character to look differently in your head, that’s okay. If you want to pronounce things however you want, that’s okay too. Because a book does not exist until it has a reader. It really doesn’t live. It exists, but it doesn’t live until you read it and give it life. So however you feel like doing it, go ahead. And remember, I’ve said this numerous times before, I don’t pronounce all the names right. I’m American, so I pronounce things with an American accent. The best example I give is Kelsier, because I do say Kel (as in bell) si (as in see) er (as in air), but they say Kel (as in bell) si (as in see) er (as in hey) in-world (it sounds very French). I say E (as in the letter e) lan (as in lawn) tris (as in hiss), they say E (as in the letter e) Lan (as in lane) tris (as in hiss) in-world. So there are linguistic fundamentals of these because I do have some linguistic background, but I don’t always say them right. I like saying Sa (like suh) rene (like Reen), instead of Sa (like suh) rene (like meany), which is how they say it. Which Suh-reany sounds kind of dumb in English. And in their language, it’s a beautiful woman’s name, but here you wouldn’t call someone Suh-reany, you’d call them Suh-rean.

(source)

By the way, I say REN-uh-rin, SHAH-lin, YAS-nuh and the other Js with J sounds, AH-doh-lin, Demoux and Renoux the French way intuitively because they look ostensibly French, but Kelsier and Vin the English way.

Edited by yurisses

Mmmhm. Brandon's really cool about pronunciations really being however you'd like to say them. That said, I knew when I started doing recordings that I wanted to learn to say things the closest way to "correct" that I could. And finding out from Peter that the way i had been pronouncing them was waaaaaaaaay different than mine.

This is exactly how I pronounce all of these.

^ Me too, except that I say all the "J" names in SA with a "Y" sound (oh, except Jezrien. For some reason, he's my exception to prove the rule).

In our house, Renoux is said with a big flourish and an awful French accent (apologies to Maxal for the mangling of her beautiful native tongue  :ph34r: ), thanks to the fact that I, my husband and our 12 year old where at one point all reading different Mistborn books at the same time, leading to discussions like this one over pronunciation.

^ Me too, except that I say all the "J" names in SA with a "Y" sound (oh, except Jezrien. For some reason, he's my exception to prove the rule).

In our house, Renoux is said with a big flourish and an awful French accent (apologies to Maxal for the mangling of her beautiful native tongue  :ph34r: ), thanks to the fact that I, my husband and our 12 year old where at one point all reading different Mistborn books at the same time, leading to discussions like this one over pronunciation.

It depends on the French accent you use: French from France or French from Quebec? These are two very distinct things  -_-

As for French, I truly laugh at Brandon for inserting a French from Quebec character in the Reckoners (Abraham)... and to have him swear as a good old Quebecer would. He got it wrong :ph34r: , but I still smile at his attempt. And Abraham is not a name a black man from Quebec would typically wear either... was a funny choice. I could give him better choices  -_-

If Brandon wills it, I could give him a dictionary of which swear to use in which situations  :ph34r: Let's just say, we are colorful in the matter  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

It depends on the French accent you use: French from France or French from Quebec? These are two very distinct things  -_-

As for French, I truly laugh at Brandon for inserting a French from Quebec character in the Reckoners (Abraham)... and to have him swear as a good old Quebecer would. He got it wrong :ph34r: , but I still smile at his attempt. And Abraham is not a name a black man from Quebec would typically wear either... was a funny choice. I could give him better choices  -_-

If Brandon wills it, I could give him a dictionary of which swear to use in which situations  :ph34r: Let's just say, we are colorful in the matter  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Here in the UK we're taught French from France and my exposure to native speakers comes from several school trips to France many moons ago. I have a strong regional accent (which probably isn't what most non-Brits think of as an English accent - I sound nothing like the queen or anyone from Downton Abbey!) which means I speak French with a passable accent at best.

I haven't read any Reckoners yet ( :ph34r:  :ph34r:  - a heinous admission for 17th shard, I know!) so I shall watch out for Abraham, the false swearing Quebecer when I do. When you say you are colourful with your cursing, I'm reminded of the Merivingian in the second Matrix film, swearing in French with a large amount of colour and fluency!

Here in the UK we're taught French from France and my exposure to native speakers comes from several school trips to France many moons ago. I have a strong regional accent (which probably isn't what most non-Brits think of as an English accent - I sound nothing like the queen or anyone from Downton Abbey!) which means I speak French with a passable accent at best.

I haven't read any Reckoners yet ( :ph34r:  :ph34r:  - a heinous admission for 17th shard, I know!) so I shall watch out for Abraham, the false swearing Quebecer when I do. When you say you are colourful with your cursing, I'm reminded of the Merivingian in the second Matrix film, swearing in French with a large amount of colour and fluency!

Oh yeah the French... Gee they have their own colorful swears and they have nothing to do with ours  -_- I would be poor at swearing like a French. However, we do have one thing in common: nobody swears as fluently as the French. When I learned English, one teacher taught me I had to learn how to say the most possible things with the least possible words, quite the opposite to poetical French where the more words, the merrier.

I watched Downton Abbey in French  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: I know. An aberration. So I cannot comment on their accent.

Over here, we are taught the American English. British is often hard to understand, for us, though never as hard as Texan. I can't understand the Southerners English with their thick accent, it baffles me. I need the subtitles  :ph34r: but I am notably poor at understanding  :unsure:

I haven't read Elantris, Emperor's Soul and Firefight yet. I will get to it, eventually. Abraham swore only once in book, but I felt Brandon use one of our swearing words as he would have used the s-word. Not quite the same. You need to be born and breed in Quebec to do it properly  -_- It takes a lifetime of practice to swear like us.

For some reason, right from the get-go, I found myself picturing Wit/Hoid as looking like Tom Hiddleston (plays Loki in Thor and the Avengers movie). I don't know why I immediately pictured this! He's the only character that I had this happen with. For my own personal satisfaction though I don't mind picturing him looking that way :) Cheers!

For some reason, right from the get-go, I found myself picturing Wit/Hoid as looking like Tom Hiddleston (plays Loki in Thor and the Avengers movie). I don't know why I immediately pictured this! He's the only character that I had this happen with. For my own personal satisfaction though I don't mind picturing him looking that way :) Cheers!

I audibly gasped. You know, for someone who's supposedly "over" her Hiddles-phase, that one definitely got me. That said, I never quite pictured Hoid looking much like Tom, but now that I'm thinking about it, he might be able to play Hoid well. Then again, Tom almost feels a bit too suave to be Hoid? I never saw Hoid as much of a pretty boy, if that makes sense? They've both got that mischief down though...

I audibly gasped. You know, for someone who's supposedly "over" her Hiddles-phase, that one definitely got me. That said, I never quite pictured Hoid looking much like Tom, but now that I'm thinking about it, he might be able to play Hoid well. Then again, Tom almost feels a bit too suave to be Hoid? I never saw Hoid as much of a pretty boy, if that makes sense? They've both got that mischief down though...

Lol well as a male who is attracted to women I can't say I find Tom to be a pretty boy but I think I get what you mean. To me it was the sort of mischevious yet intelligent and somewhat condescending attitude that I think Wit has and could see Tom portraying well. Also Wit's description of having sharp features to me kinda matches what Tom looks like IMO. Just my take!

I am part of the group that imagines every character as overly attractive... probably has to do with media or something, but only a select few people are actually ugly (roshone being one of them).

Preach it, friend! Also... as the person who has the renarinkholin URL on tumblr, I will say that I had a moment where I read your username and thought you were me. That was a bit surreal... Nice username though. C:

For some reason I just can't help but picture Lopen as a total stud: rock solid abs, perfect pecs, bulging biceps (er um I mean bicep), flowing, beautiful locks of golden hair and a Zoro-like mustache. And for some reason all he wears is a banana hammock. Mmm ;)

Edited by HotHerdazian