World misconceptions that are difficult to shift.

ljósmóður

Mistborn:

At first I had a hard time seeing Sazed as bald, and The Lord Ruler wears dark grey clothing, not black and white. Oh, and he looks just like Fire Lord Ozai. I also had a hard time seeing preservation as male at first, but that is because in portuguese(I am brazilian, although I read Brandon's books in english since most of them still haven't gotten here) nouns are gendered, and preservation is a female noum. Actualy, the only shard names that would be male nouns in portuguese are Odium, Dominion and MAYBE Endowment.

Scadrial's lack of moon. I have no trouble remembering that it isn't visible, but my brain is CONVINCED it's up there hiding.

Yeah, my assumption that Scadrial had a moon confused the damnation out of me when I was reading Sazed's explanation of Trelagism. He talked about the thousand eyes of Trell being the stars, with the one eye of Nalt being the sun. But he never said a thing about a moon.

I see Shan Elariel as blonde, and Serene as dark-haired, though I'm pretty sure those in-text are swapped.

I heard Mr. Sanderson speak once, this was actually a hilariously long response to my question which, in totality, was "Say this: Sazed" (my attempt to get a pronunciation), and he waxed philosophic and very excitedly about how each reader is the director of the movie in his own mind. He seemed very pleased with this phenomenon, the idea that there are a million versions of the Stormlight Archives as they exist, with large or small changes, in all of our minds. I think he would very much like this thread.

For some reason I see the mists in Mistborn as being dark purple and my brain refuses to accept that they look any other way. Also I still see spheres as being the size of a baseball despite knowing how utterly impractical this would be.

Also, since I'm still not sure if there' an official picture lookalike or something, what do you guys think koloss look like?

Good question, I imagine them as an uglier and scarier version of the ogres in World of Warcraft ^^'

I suppose having listened to Stormlight archive in audiobook form, most the character voices are stamped into my head as the various voices and accents of Michael Kramer and Kate Reading.

But as for visualisation, well that's a whole different story

As most here it would seem I imagined spheres about the size of ping pong balls.

Ardents are the ones that always throw me, I'm aware they have no possesions, wear drab clothing and are essentially monks, but for some reason I always picture them in brilliant white robes of a similar design to what Elend is made to wear around his men in Mistborn

First readthrough of WoK I imagined all spren looking kind of like this but different colors.

will_o___the_wisp_by_the_shelled_one-d54

So fearspren were like that but purple, and painspren were the same but orange, etc. It got me really confused when he started explaining about creationspren taking the forms of random objects.

A few other things:

Kolos have horns. They are horns that curve to the side like a black dragon's from D&D.

The God King has no hair on his head whatsoever. (Also, when I first heard of him in the book, before we had met him, I imagined him in armor. Guess that's what I get for reading [and playing] Infinity Blade before Warbreaker. . .)

Wit looks about 25.

Alethi dresses show a LOT of leg, as they have very long slits on both sides.

Ardents are air benders minus the tattoos and beads.

Concerning spheres: chips are the size AND SHAPE of a finger nail. Marks are cats eye marbles, with gems instead of what ever is in a marble. Broams are the size of golf balls.

Chulls are very large and slightly less cutesy dwebbles from Pokemon. They even have a shell made out of stone.

Chasm fiends are D&D's shadow dragons without wings.

Shard plate looks like the stuff the God King wears in infinity blade. It took me a while to realize there was a skirt.

And last: skyeels are the kind of creatures inside the thunderhead from Skyward Sword. If you are a Zelda fan you will understand.

Wow. I have A LOT of misconceptions.

Concerning spheres: chips are the size AND SHAPE of a finger nail. Marks are cats eye marbles, with gems instead of what ever is in a marble. Broams are the size of golf balls.

Chulls are very large and slightly less cutesy dwebbles from Pokemon. They even have a shell made out of stone.

These sound pretty close to what I always assumed.  though to me ardents are more like Dominican monks

I don't know how, but I heard some time that the Shin eyes are larger than the Alethi's because everyone BUT the Shin have Asian eyes!  :huh: Of course that did several funky things to Szeths eyes, but eventually the Shin just got the Asian eyes instead. No clue what happened there. I think the way Kaladin is portrayed on the cover of WoR is absolutely perfect. Everyone always gives him such absurdly thin, long hair. On my first read, Rock was black... but somehow with orange hair. He looks more Irish by now. Oh, and Cryptics... I have always imagined them as looking like something from Antichamber - almost like a 4 dimensional tangle of square bars. I can't agree with McSweeny's curly Pattern.

I think the way Kaladin is portrayed on the cover of WoR is absolutely perfect.

The way he's shown on the cover is actually one of my least favorite things about WoR, because everything about that image looks right, except that Kaladin should have black hair. (and that's not a misconception, he's described that way in the Way of Kings.)

The thing that probably trips me up the most is pronunciations. Redoing all of mine after finding out they were wrong is still difficult, even though I'm someone who reads them aloud a lot. Notable examples, with my bad pronunciations:

• Renarin (I said RIN-uh-rin instead of ren-AHR-in) - my darling son and I don't even know how to say his name???
  • Shallan (I said SHAH-lin instead of shuh-LAWN) - girl, why is your name weird like that
  • Jasnah, Jah Keved, Jakamav, Jezrien - all those "J's" are probably supposed to be "Y" sounds right?
  • Adolin (I said AH-doh-lin instead of AY-doh-lin) - I get tripped up on Adonalsium too. Why those long A sounds???
  • Demoux and Renoux (I said ren-OH and dem-OH instead of ren-OO and dem-OO) - Literally there's no excuse for this one even. I SPEAK FRENCH. It rhymes with genoux and roux??? If it were "oh" it'd be "eaux". French Pronunciation 101 and Feather messed it up.

Other kinds of misconceptions are, but not limited to:

• Forgetting that Shallan is allergic to flowers (She's a botanist who's allergic to flowers, how do I forget that?)
  • That whole thing about Dalinar supposed to be unhandsome (Lol Brandon, you're wrong, Dalinar is definitely a hot dad)
  • Forgetting that Denth is supposed to be a bad guy (But I liiiiiike him)
  • Mraize is probably not actually as sexy as I imagine him (Sorry, meanwhile I'm being garbage over here)
  • Spheres are way smaller than I usually think of them (Thumbnail sized? Really??? That's so tiny!!!)
  • Marsh probably had blonde hair (I forget that Marsh and Kelsier looked similar soooo often)

...okay looking over these I see that "characters are probably not actually as attractive as I imagine them to be" seems to be a trend. Welp. *shrugs*

To be honest, nothing will ever dissuade me (or the rest of the tumblr cosmere fandom, apparently) that the Highprince of Dads i mean dalinar is hot dad. It's like, every time Brandon goes out of his way to say that "no one could mistake Dalinar Kholin for being handsome" I'm just all, "guys how hot is dadinar though."

Dadinar, Highprince of Dads, hottest dad forever. <3

I suppose Dalinar's good looks are as much of a constant as his beard and blue uniform?

I myself imagine him with a face that was handsome one day, but now us full of scars. Mraize looks like a younger Dalinar without a beard. Hoid looks nothing like Mraize, despite Shallan flat out saying she almost mistook one for the other.

EDIT: yes, I know Dalinar has no beard.

EDIT:TYPOS. EVERYWHERE.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

The thing that probably trips me up the most is pronunciations. Redoing all of mine after finding out they were wrong is still difficult, even though I'm someone who reads them aloud a lot. Notable examples, with my bad pronunciations:

• Renarin (I said RIN-uh-rin instead of ren-AHR-in) - my darling son and I don't even know how to say his name???
  • Shallan (I said SHAH-lin instead of shuh-LAWN) - girl, why is your name weird like that
  • Jasnah, Jah Keved, Jakamav, Jezrien - all those "J's" are probably supposed to be "Y" sounds right?
  • Adolin (I said AH-doh-lin instead of AY-doh-lin) - I get tripped up on Adonalsium too. Why those long A sounds???
  • Demoux and Renoux (I said ren-OH and dem-OH instead of ren-OO and dem-OO) - Literally there's no excuse for this one even. I SPEAK FRENCH. It rhymes with genoux and roux??? If it were "oh" it'd be "eaux". French Pronunciation 101 and Feather messed it up.

I think I pronounced almost all of those the exact same way, no joke. :mellow: 

(I took a year of French and all I can remember from it is that half those letters don't need to be there and the other half aren't pronounced like they look.)