Michael Whelan Returns!

Yemeth

Michael Whelan has just been announced to do the cover art to Words of Radiance. I'm so excited for this. The first cover was so good I actually bought the print of it; it's hanging above my computer. Unfortunately there's no preview yet, but if it's Whelan, then it's sure to be amazing!

Thats awesome. I was wondering what the cover would have been like if someone else would have taken over the cover art for the next one. Would they have tried to create something that was like TWoK or would they create something completly new and different (which potentially wouldn't be pleasing to all of the Stormlight Archive fanbase) so its cool to hear that Whelan will be doing the cover for WoR. Yay!

It would be nice if he created some more artwork for the series, I'd love to see his take on a Thunderclast or even a Shardbearer.

Yeah, I was happy to hear he's coming back as well. I have the WoK cover as my laptop background.

It finally got replaced on mine for the Les Miserables desktop. Looking forward to another michael whelan to put up :)

It's been 12 hours and there's no wild speculation yet? Then I guess I'll have to fix that.

Since his first cover was on the Shattered Plains during a highstorm, I think we can rule out Whelan doing another take on that. But the book will primarily be set in the Shattered Plains, so it seems unlikely that he'll be doing a painting of an area far from the main characters. Sure his rendition of the moving Reshi isles that Rysn will visit would be epic, but then the cover would be a bit misleading in terms of the main setting.

It could be an overview of the warcamps with the king's temporary palace overlooking them, though something like was already done in the interior art in an old fashioned map style. His take on a chasm fiend would also be cool to see.

If Taln gets a bigger part in the story, a view of Kholinar is possible. Also, who knows what Dalinar will see in his visions in the next book. Pretty much any of those scenes in The Way of Kings would have made killer cover art.

The only other thing that we know will be in Words of Radiance is the parshendi camp from Brandon's early reading of Eshonai's POV. Alien/non-human architecture, when done right, has always been fascinating for me. Whelan has a good eye for this, and it would also be nice to see parshendi warriors up close.

Any more speculation? Anything from the books you'd like Whelan to paint?

I kind of have my own image of the cover in my head already. It's Jasnah and Shallan on a "boat" in Shadesmar, with the "sun" on the back cover part. I assume they will go to Shadesmar together at some point in WoR, so this seems plausible.

The only issue with this, is that I conceived this image when the working title was still BoEP. But the "Radiance" in the title might not mesh with the darkness of Shadesmar.

Edited by Takeshi

I'm very happy about Whelan's return. He's my favorite fantasy artist, and TWoK's cover is one of the most gorgeous pieces of fantasy art I've ever seen. I know one shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but I'm always happy when a book's high quality is matched by its cover's quality. I'm really looking forward to seeing what book 2's cover will look like.

• 3 weeks later...

Love Whelan's work. Moreso since he did TWoK and AMoL. Can't wait to see what happens on this cover. I'll be intrigued to see what characters are represented/setting. I'd like seeing Shallan, but I don't know in what context I want her. As Yemeth said, we've already got the Shattered Plains, so something seabound would be interesting, or something in Shadesmar. Maybe even the warcamps. I dunno, really. I just want to see it (so we can speculate wildly) NOW!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic