Spoiler Policy

Senor Feesh

Please forgive me if this is covered elsewhere on the forum, but I couldn't seem to locate a 'forum rules' or similar thread, so I'll ask here.

What is the official policy on Spoilers? I know that the forum has the <spoiler> tags (which are eminently useful), but are there rules as to what counts as a spoiler and what doesn't? How long does something have to be around before it becomes classed as not a spoiler any longer? Which forums (if any) are spoilers allowed in without warnings?

My primary reason for asking is self-serving, in that I am personally avoiding the Stormlight 2 previews (I want to read it when published without any preconceptions).

If you guys want to rule that anything Brandon has officially published (such as the Stormlight 2 readings) is non-spoiler that's fine, and I'll carry on doing what I'm doing now, which essentially amounts to <I read something like 'the Parshendi in the Stomlight 2 preview' *RIP EYES AWAY FROM SCREEN AND CLICK BACK BUTTON ON MOUSE*>. But I know The Emperor's Soul got it's own spoiler-warned sub-board to protect people who hadn't read it, so I was wondering if perhaps there should be a similar policy for other newly released, official-text materials.

I believe that somewhere it was stated that The Emperor's Soul board is going to be there for ~6 months before being merged into its parent forum. We had the spoiler board set up for some time before the release, to enable people like that damnation Yados and his magical book store (XD) to talk about the book without spoiling it for anyone that doesn't want to.

Here's a link to the rules, and Here's a discussion on spoiler policy mostly Chaos's posts

Did we ever come to a conclusive agreement on the time-frame?

Also, Stormlight 2 spoilers were not something I was considering... I'll be sure to make sure any discussions involving them are marked as such for the convenience of yourself and any others who are avoiding spoilers. I laud your self-control, I don't have the strength of will to do that XD. Just for your information, the wiki is going to have spoilers from the readings on it. We've created a spoiler tag though, so if you see an article marked with that at the top, I'd steer clear.

Eventually, as chapters and such are put online in anticipation of the release, a sub-board like TES could be created as well.

Eventually, as chapters and such are put online in anticipation of the release, a sub-board like TES could be created as well.

May I -- naively -- ask why not create a sub-board for SA2 now? The threads from the readings or the writing-videos could be put there for example. (I see that this will not make spoiler-tags or spoiler-warnings unnecessary and I really appreciate the users doing so.)

I honestly have no idea. I've never had to set one up before. I think you wouldn't be able to, but they might still show up in the "Recent Active Content" section. Like I said, no decisions have been made.

AFAIK, you wouldnt be able to "hide" topic titles unless the entire forum is hidden from a user based upon their user group with IPboard, provided there hasnt been some kind of update to IPB that lets you do some weird topic hiding thing.

AFAIK, you wouldnt be able to "hide" topic titles unless the entire forum is hidden from a user based upon their user group with IPboard, provided there hasnt been some kind of update to IPB that lets you do some weird topic hiding thing.

Just tested with this thread. Looks like subboards don't show in the main topic list (it still says

23 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

In: One Question I Never Unders...

By: Vortaan

)

Though the posts will still be under 'view new content'.

That topic can be deleted now that science is done.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

Oops. I forgot to remove the Emperor's Soul Spoiler board. I meant to remove it... I don't know, a month after release? (Since it wasn't the most major thing).

And I agree, time for the Words of Radiance spoiler board! I'll get it up in the next day or two :)