Is reading The Stormlight Archive worth it?

Red Ferring

That logic doesn't hold up much considering Adolin got plenty of character development already in two books where he is a supporting character. There is a difference between not being relevant and not being as relevant as you personally want them to be. Nobody read the end of WoR and thought Adolin isn't going to have a part to play that's important.

After WoR, I would have never gathered Szeth, Eshonai, Lift, Taln or Shalash would get much character development as I saw them as side characters. I expected perhaps Taln would end up playing a larger role. Shalash is a nearly non-existing character. Lift was only one of those interlude character that may or may not be relevant. Szeth seemed geared to continue being an antagonist, the same with Eshonai. I would have never guessed Brandon intended to turn them into main protagonists. I expected their "importance" to fluctuate given the story at end, but I did not expect them to get precious flashback and a huge spotlight on them. 

However, I expected Adolin would because he was far more relevant to the plot line than these characters. He was more fleshed out then they were. He had more POV. It seemed logical the story would eventually focus on him, just as it focused on both Kaladin and Shallan, so to find out it wouldn't is painful. He is the ONLY currently fleshed out character not getting a spotlight, the only one. 

It is not simply a matter of me wanting him to be more relevant... He is relevant, so why doesn't he get a focus? Everyone else is getting one! When a character starts to take more importance, it is normal to expect he would continue on this path, but no. Adolin is not getting more relevant: he is to remain a side-character, forever and his relevance will most likely be tied to Dalinar/Renarin/Kaladin/Shallan as opposed to himself.

What I want or do not want hardly matters, what matters to me is the book gave me a false expectation of what was to come and because of this false expectation I am now severely disappointed. 

Again, as I stated earlier, this is a rather personal issue I have. I do not expect anyone to relate to it or to understand. Adolin hardly is a fan's favorites on the fandom, most people read him as an arrogant, spoiled, dumb, shallow jerk because this is how Kaladin spent 800 pages depicting him. So I guess Brandon's decision to focus on beloved characters such as Jasnah or Renarin makes sense, but for me personally, it is a severe deception and it may end up destroying my passion for SA. I don't relate much to Jasnah, Renarin or any of the other forthcoming 10 (do not confound not relating to hating or disliking or not wanting to read about them), but I related to Adolin, a lot. However, one single very vocal fan's deception probably does not matter much.

I will now drop the issue as I am unlikely to garner any support. I have started to disrupt the bee-hive *again* as I see downvotes pilling in on my account *again*. I can only hope I have managed to convey some of my passion for my favorite character to some fellow readers.

I will now drop the issue as I am unlikely to garner any support. I have started to disrupt the bee-hive *again* as I see downvotes pilling in on my account *again*. I can only hope I have managed to convey some of my passion for my favorite character to some fellow readers.

Downvotes? For saying you liked Adolin? Who did this? Where? Why? How can I counteract it?

Downvotes? For saying you liked Adolin? Who did this? Where? Why? How can I counteract it?

Nah you won't see it... I had a few posts with one upvote and now they have none. I had 933 reputations earlier today and now it is down to 932. It is no big deal, but it is sign I should drop the issue.

Don't worry, it happens all the time. I dunno if it is only me, but I keep getting sporadic downvotes here and there. They usually happen when I push too far... I guess I come up as too stubborn or too head-strong and some people dislike it. I am sad though when it happens on posts on Adolin, because I like him so much :(  I never say anything negative about him.

Thanks anyway  :)

My main issue with SA and calling it Epic Fantasy is the fact Brandon kept on telling the book structure calls for one character to be prominently featured with additional flashbacks from another character, both can be or not be the same. This I am deeply annoyed by because it also means the current characters of SA may not have a large role to play through out the course of the series.

For me, what qualifies Epic Fantasy is this quality were we follow the same characters over multiple books and we get to see them grow/evolve. If the focus changes from current main characters to current side characters, then I may end up disinterested. Again, it may not happen, but I am deeply worried about it, even more so the character I want to read the most about is not scheduled to be one of the selected few. It is just plain cruel to start to develop a character, to lead the readers into believing he is as important as the other ones, just not as developed yet, only to perpetually keep him into the backseat, always being a plot device serving to help others grow as opposed to getting his own story arc. Worst is, as a reader, to see other currently less develop characters take the front seat, always leaving my character behind and me, to sole idiot to root for the side-kick who will never be more than a side-kick.

This is harsh. So for me, the danger with SA is the characters structure. As a character lover, I can't move my attachment from one character to another with the blink of an eye, especially since the characters I am told I must root for does not strive any passion within me. Albeit, this is a rather personal problem and I may be the only one stuck with it.

I know... the stick just isn't going to have his chance to shine...

Edited by Turos

Downvotes should be reserved for something insulting, offensive, mean, spam, and stuff like that - not something you simply disagree with.

Yes, I absolutely agree. I never downvote anyone and the rare occasions where I did, I accompanied my downvote by an explanation as to why I was using the downvote. 

However, the sad truth is I do get, on average, about 5 downvotes a week. I dunno if it only happens to me, but I doubt they all are accident, so there are people who downvotes other people simply for disagreeing. Or perhaps it is simply they do not like me and wish to downvote me in hope to chase me away. I dunno again. I have since reconcile myself with the fact I will never be a popular forumer as my writing style is considered aggressive by too many people and I unfortunately am not fount of the right characters. 

Szeth... in mistborn? I think he meant he read mistborn first and liked Szeth in SA. But I find him more pitiable than despicable, he is just too weak of will for me to see him as guilty of obeying. The shin fanatical following of stone shamanism turned him more into a tool than a person, and I have a hard time hating someone for their weakness.

I think Szeth is an interesting character, not my favorite mind you but i really appreciate him. His inner turmoil is interesting to follow. I actually think he showed that he was strong of will. He hated what he was doing but believed it was what was required of him by his religion and held strongly to that belief. I think that it takes a lot of will to do that when you hate everything you are doing. 

That logic doesn't hold up much considering Adolin got plenty of character development already in two books where he is a supporting character. There is a difference between not being relevant and not being as relevant as you personally want them to be. Nobody read the end of WoR and thought Adolin isn't going to have a part to play that's important.

I tend to agree with Slater. I really enjoy Adolin's scenes and i feel confident he will continue to get them. I know Maxal that you are worried about Adolin's role going forward given he will not be getting his own book. Would it have been nice to know he was getting a book, yes. Since he is not getting a book I tend to trust that Brandon has a plan and the series will work out great. From what people have said on the forum Brandon didn't originally have Adolin as a major character. I think that it is a positive for him remaining relevant and growing throughout the series that he was actually given a POV and a strong role when that wasn't the original plan. Why elevate a character only to cast him aside later? I don't recall him doing anything like that in his other works i have read, but it has been a while since i have read works like mistborn, warbreaker, and elantris  (though it is possible i didn't catch or remember it happening). 

I think through 2 books we have seen his character grow without being the central piece of the book. Even without a flashback book he will still be part of the story in a strong way and i think we will continue to see that even if he isn't the central piece of a book. I would hate to see him get pushed to the wayside, but i don't feel that will happen. I love his dueling and fighting scenes and i feel those will continue even if he doesn't have his own book. So i am going to continue to believe that Brandon will take care of the Adolin fans by making him important throughout the books, even if it is without his own book, since i have not seen a reason to doubt that will be the case given how the first two books have gone.

I know... the stick just isn't going to have his chance to shine...

I know! Just think about it... It's Stormlight 10. The avatar of Odium is standing on a beach in the Frostlands with our heroes arrayed before him, helpless and Stormlight-less. Suddenly, the Stick he's been standing on (which has been going through an intense existential journey spanning 8 books) erupts into an enormous pyre of flame, engulfing him and ending evil in the Cosmere forever. A voice rings out from the Cognitive Realm: I am FIRE. It was always my destiny to be FIRE, and I can accept it now. Thank you, Shallan, for showing me the light.

I'm just sayin' it would be cool.  :ph34r:

Edited by Mckeedee123

I know! Just think about it... It's Stormlight 10. The avatar of Odium is standing on a beach in the Frostlands with our heroes arrayed before him, helpless and Stormlight-less. Suddenly, the Stick he's been standing on (which has been going through an intense existential journey spanning 8 books) erupts into an enormous pyre of flame, engulfing him and ending evil in the Cosmere forever. A voice rings out from the Cognitive Realm: I am FIRE. It was always my destiny to be FIRE, and I can accept it now. Thank you, Shallan, for showing me the light.

I'm just sayin' it would be cool.  :ph34r:

My only regret is that i have but one upvote to give.

• Chaos locked this topic