The Gentics of Feruchemy and Allomancy

TheChronicFeruchemist

I was reading Alloy of Law and I was wondering to myself why do feruchemists and allomancers either get the abilities to burn or store all 16 metals or just one? How do the genetics of these magics work?

We know that as feruchemy and allomancy spreads into the general population the abilities become more rare and less strong.

We also know that in the time of Alloy of Law that they believe that they could rebreed mistborn into the population.

I'm curious to see what you guys think.

Well Feruchemy got that aspect when it mixed with Allomancy IIRC, you used to either be able to store in all metals or none, not just one.

As for why that's so in Allomancy, I think Brandon said that originally he wanted to only have mistings but then he wanted some characters to be more powerful so he made Mistborn, in-world I suppose that there are just certain barriers you need a certain amount of Preservation in your sDNA to jump, same reason that not all of the Nobles are just a little bit mistings, you either are or not.

Since we know there were no Mistborn pre-Ascension, then we can figure out that the existence of Mistborn at all is a direct result of more of Preservation's power being passed along to mankind via the Lerasium that created the original Mistborn. Why Feruchemy follows a similar law and is then changed I'm not sure about, but all the magics draw on Harmony at this point and he may have changed some rules in order to create a more harmonious society, considering how much damage a full Feruchemsit or Mistborn can do.

• Chaos locked this topic