Whovians unite!

I just recently watched Ark in Space and the villain was literally green bubble wrap wrapped around a guy's hand. So cheesy yet still a good story. Those old episode had to rely on story telling to be good. Even my 11 year old son was into it and wants to watch more classic Dr Who. He just refuses to watch it if it's black&white.

So I'm still working on watching New Who (almost done with season 4), but I thought why not pop in here. =D

Favorite Doctor: the Doctor (okay, maybe Nine, though Ten is good too).

Favorite companion: erm. Gonna be cliche and go Rose. BECAUSE SHE WAS PERFECT FOR HIM OKAY? *flops*

Favorite alien/monster/thingy: the Adipose. So freaking cute. 

Scariest: definitely the Vashta Nerada. Daleks just get annoying after a while, though they're still a ginormous threat.

Fave episode so far: well the feelsiest was Doomsday, of course. School Reunion was great, the Daleks in Manhattan set was good (Andrew Garfield!!)...as was Voyage of the D----d. I'm terrible at picking favorites, in case you hadn't noticed.

Forgive my obvious ignorance but, (coming from someone who has only ever watched Doctor Who once when she was very young) does it matter if you just randomly pick an episode from the series to watch...or is it best to watch them in order? Again, I apologize if I have appalled any Whovians by saying I never watch it... :)

Forgive my obvious ignorance but, (coming from someone who has only ever watched Doctor Who once when she was very young) does it matter if you just randomly pick an episode from the series to watch...or is it best to watch them in order? Again, I apologize if I have appalled any Whovians by saying I never watch it... :)

No, you're fine! I actually just watched random episodes when I first started. Just be sure to watch the two-parters and obvious sequels in the right order.

And... I have a confession to make. I skipped Nine. :ph34r: Well, sort of. I watched the first few Nine episodes, skipped to his regeneration into Ten, and then stopped watching altogether.

Then, around six months or so later, for reasons totally unrelated to a girl (:ph34r:), I got back into it and just watched them all out of order, until Season 7 was made available on the interwebs and I watched that one straight through (Also Season 8, but that's just because I had to). 

Ah, the "Where To Start" question.

First suggestion - wherever you start, don't freak out.  Doctor Who is a show that doesn't act like other shows.  Explanations can sound continuity-heavy, but most of the time it's something the episode is just pulling out of nowhere.

There's Classic Who and New Who.  Classic Who needs to be watched with your historical-viewing glasses on, because the special effects, pacing, writing, and acting are according to very different standards.  Once you watch New Who, Classic Who becomes less appealing by comparison (background singers: "Controversial o-piii-nion!").

Continuity only matters in episodes that are talking about the same thing as older episodes.  Usually, it's a recurring villian species.  Usually, continuity is even ignored in these.  The Daleks and Cybermen are just Things That Happen.

The best way to divide stories is this: There's a Doctor played by a certain actor.  There's a point where he starts and a point where he stops.  The Doctor has one or more Companions.  They start somewhere, they stop somewhere.  Just pick a bracket, roll with it, and have a blast!  Or, if you're not having a blast, try a different bracket!

About to finish season 7 and I'm totally mind blown by it. Haven't seen older series. And I'm afraid because I just read somewhere that time lords only have 12 regenerations and that makes Capaldi's doctor last. Is this true? We won't be getting any more Doctors after him? :| Please tell me River Song giving her time lord powers to him resets his regeneration counter. Or maybe they will just ignore that rule because we want more Doctor. Or just make him cheat death somehow. Is there any official information about it one way or another?

About to finish season 7 and I'm totally mind blown by it. Haven't seen older series. And I'm afraid because I just read somewhere that time lords only have 12 regenerations and that makes Capaldi's doctor last. Is this true? We won't be getting any more Doctors after him? :| Please tell me River Song giving her time lord powers to him resets his regeneration counter. Or maybe they will just ignore that rule because we want more Doctor. Or just make him cheat death somehow. Is there any official information about it one way or another?

Just watch Matt Smith's final episode. ;) 

I am one episode into season 8, and I already like Capaldi more than Matt Smith. But I am ready for Clara to just die or something.

YES

I read an article about what your favorite companion says about you. The author said that if Clara is your favorite, "it doesn't say much, except that you like cute, vapid things that suck." 

I could not agree more. 

YES

I read an article about what your favorite companion says about you. The author said that if Clara is your favorite, "it doesn't say much, except that you like cute, vapid things that suck." 

I could not agree more. 

Oddly enough, Victorian!Clara actually had way more personality than modern!Clara. I find myself wishing that the BBC had the courage to make her the companion, rather than sticking to their stubborn belief that the companion has to be from 21st century London. :(

Oddly enough, Victorian!Clara actually had way more personality than modern!Clara. I find myself wishing that the BBC had the courage to make her the companion, rather than sticking to their stubborn belief that the companion has to be from 21st century London. :(

No freaking kidding. And it's not like she'd be the first historical companion—Jamie McCrimmon was from 18th century Scotland and had the kilt to prove it. I for one would be thrilled to see more historical or far-future companions—maybe take the two children from The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe along on a few adventures before picking up Jethro Kane from Midnight

Or, if they're going to insist on a modern companion, bring back Sally Sparrow from Blink. She would make a fantastic companion. 

No freaking kidding. And it's not like she'd be the first historical companion—Jamie McCrimmon was from 18th century Scotland and had the kilt to prove it. I for one would be thrilled to see more historical or far-future companions—maybe take the two children from The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe along on a few adventures before picking up Jethro Kane from Midnight

Or, if they're going to insist on a modern companion, bring back Sally Sparrow from Blink. She would make a fantastic companion. 

Hmm... those could work, though honestly I wasn't that big a fan of Jethro Kane.

My ideal companion would be something of a second Leela. Someone from a future colony world, with just barely enough knowledge of current Western culture to have similar values to the audience, but also someone alien enough to make the audience consider things from a different point of view. If it's important to have a 21st century girl as the main companion, fine; let Leela 2.0 travel alongside someone like Clara, like when Nine, Rose, and Captain Jack all shared the TARDIS together.

Just, for the love of Gallifrey, shake things up a little with the companions. I'm aware Clara has quite a few fans, but I hope everyone can agree some variety in the TARDIS would spice things up more than a rude, Scottish Doctor.

Hmm... those could work, though honestly I wasn't that big a fan of Jethro Kane.

My ideal companion would be something of a second Leela. Someone from a future colony world, with just barely enough knowledge of current Western culture to have similar values to the audience, but also someone alien enough to make the audience consider things from a different point of view. If it's important to have a 21st century girl as the main companion, fine; let Leela 2.0 travel alongside someone like Clara, like when Nine, Rose, and Captain Jack all shared the TARDIS together.

Just, for the love of Gallifrey, shake things up a little with the companions. I'm aware Clara has quite a few fans, but I hope everyone can agree some variety in the TARDIS would spice things up more than a rude, Scottish Doctor.

I mostly want to see Jethro traveling alongside Sally Sparrow so he can sass her while she rolls her eyes. :ph34r:

I wouldn't even mind if he picked up a modern companion from a different country. An American or an Australian would be different, yes, but why not pick someone from, say, China? Japan? Russia, India, Pakistan, Belize, Guatemala, Egypt, Sudan? I know they'd run the risk of accidentally commenting on political issues pertinent to those nations, but they've avoided hugely overt political statements when taking companions from modern-day London, so I don't doubt they could do it again. Or, combine our two approaches and take a companion from twenty-eighth century China and delve into hardcore speculative fiction with their backstory. 

Point is, the Doctor is a time-traveling alien with the universe at his fingertips….and he only travels with modern-day Londoners? :huh:

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

[opine] Clara... okay, I like her, (NO I DO NOT LIKE VAPID THINGS THAT SUCK KAY THAT'S A LITTLE HARSH) but I feel she's overstayed her welcome. [/opine]

... before picking up Jethro Kane from Midnight

I NEED DIS

I mostly want to see Jethro traveling alongside Sally Sparrow so he can sass her while she rolls her eyes.  :ph34r:

I wouldn't even mind if he picked up a modern companion from a different country. An American or an Australian would be different, yes, but why not pick someone from, say, China? 

Point is, the Doctor is a time-traveling alien with the universe at his fingertips….and he only travels with modern-day Londoners?  :huh:

...cue my earlier remark, where I talk about an old Chinese woman who don't take none of the Doctor's nonsense. (You can thank tumblr for that one) Yes, I think companions from places that are not London would do just fine. 

...like when Nine, Rose, and Captain Jack all shared the TARDIS together.

I loved "Boom Town" for that reason. Nine, Jack, Rose, and Mickey just havin' a good time.

And yes. Some variety would be most welcome.

Edited by Slowswift

I NEED DIS

And Clara... okay, I like her, (NO I DO NOT LIKE VAPID THINGS THAT SUCK KAY) but I feel she's overstayed her welcome.

Do you really think the MLP-obsessed Oregon RPers would pick on you for liking something unpopular? :) Clara has her redeeming qualities, but I personally find her a touch bland.

Do you really think the MLP-obsessed Oregon RPers would pick on you for liking something unpopular? :) Clara has her redeeming qualities, but I personally find her a touch bland.

Yes, well. :P

She's not my least favorite companion, but she's not my all-time favorite, either. It's... complicated.

Edited by Slowswift

Yes, well. :P

She's not my least favorite companion, but she's not my all-time favorite, either. It's... complicated.

I won't pick on you for liking a companion I don't. :) I may be the only one in my family who likes Donna more than Martha.

For me, it's just that she doesn't seem to have much of a personality. And if she does, it doesn't come across well.

Who is your least favorite companion?

I won't pick on you for liking a companion I don't. :) I may be the only one in my family who likes Donna more than Martha.

For me, it's just that she doesn't seem to have much of a personality. And if she does, it doesn't come across well.

Who is your least favorite companion?

Aw, thanks you guys. Really? I love Donna.

Agree to disagree? :P I think she has personality, it's just she got written in a rather substandard manner. Feel free to educate me or whatever. I'm open. :P

Least favorite companion... should I say it? I'm gonna say it. 

Rose.

I mean I like her, but I feel she's overrated. 

Martha isn't my favorite either, but think if it comes down to it that I like her more than Rose.

Oh, heck. I'll just make a list.

1. Amy and Rory
  2. Donna
  3. Clara
  4. Martha
  5. Rose

EDIT: I suppose I should disclaim the fact that I honestly don't know, and most of the above is a spur-of-the-moment statement, but still mostly accurate.

Edited by Slowswift

Aw, thanks you guys. Really? I love Donna.

Agree to disagree? :P I think she has personality, it's just she got written in a rather substandard manner. Feel free to educate me or whatever. I'm open. :P

Least favorite companion... should I say it? I'm gonna say it. 

Rose.

I mean I like her, but I feel she's overrated. 

Martha isn't my favorite either, but think if it comes down to it that I like her more than Rose.

Oh, heck. I'll just make a list.

1. Amy and Rory
  2. Donna
  3. Clara
  4. Martha
  5. Rose

EDIT: I suppose I should disclaim the fact that I honestly don't know, and most of the above is a spur-of-the-moment statement, but still mostly accurate.

Rose wasn't my favorite, but I did like her. Partially because she was perfect for the Doctor at the time they met—he was still reeling from the Time War; she was sweet and curious with a strong compassionate streak. Donna is one of my favorites—about tied with Amy and Rory—but I did like Rose. 

...cue my earlier remark, where I talk about an old Chinese woman who don't take none of the Doctor's nonsense. (You can thank tumblr for that one) Yes, I think companions from places that are not London would do just fine.

I feel obliged to chime in at that comment to say that if she'd be anything like the stereotype (or the unfortunate reality...), she'd be giving him grief about not being married and not having grandchildren and shaming his ancestors all the time. (Until she finds out about Susan, if at all, I suppose.) :P

Suddenly, I want this. It would be so hilarious :P