Electrum: Reimagined

Curious Anamaximder

Poor mans atium. Makes you depressed. Baa. Stupid. Electrum is a misunderstood metal. I am about to prove it right.

Before that though, I was looking through the back of Well of Ascension, and noticed that electrum was in the Ars Arcanum. 1 book before it was even used. Back on track.

Allomancy:

Yes, electrum does counter atium, but there may be some other uses. When you burn electrum, you see what your future self is about to do. Say someone is about stab you in about 3 seconds. You in the present, see your future guy fall dead, and dodge. Very helpful.

Feruchemy:

Electrum, when tapped, makes you determined and full of adrenaline. Adrenaline. If you don't realize what adrenaline can do, read Centrifugal. It is on Brandon's website. Adrenaline can make you stronger, faster and just plain awesome. It would be like burning pewter.

In conclusion, Electrum is AWESOME!

The standalone allomantic use of Electrum is potentially helpful, though clearly not as awesome as Atium.

I'm interested in the effect of burning Electrum with Duralumin, though. Elend burning Atium and Duralumin let him see Preservation's ultimate plan and Elend's place in it. What kind if radical stuff would burning Electrum let you see? (WoB re: Atium+Duralumin http://twg.17thshard.com/index.php?topic=6655.msg129159#msg129159)

I agree that with practice, electrum should be almost as good as atium at giving you combat-precog powers. Immunity to other combat-precogs is also nice. Your main weakness would be against injuries that have insufficient visible effect - say, future-someone slashes future-you on a side of you that isn't visible to your present self due to being on the wrong side of your body.

I guess you could also use it to gauge whether you'd be able to make a jump, or to warn you when you really shouldn't jaywalk.  :lol:

The problem with allomantic Electrum is that as far as we know it doesn't enhance your mind to deal with the information like Atium does, you might see yourself getting hurt slightly before it happens but your reaction time will essentially render it pointless.

You have some interesting pointers here, but I want to point out that it can be deadly using electrum Feruchemy for adrenaline. While adrenaline does provide some "super-human" abilities, it is very dangerous. Many of those amazing stories you hear have an aftermath, mainly the person involved ending up with lasting injuries or in rehab. I remember reading a story somewhere where a man was in a landslide, and he ended up lifting a huge rock off himself to save his life. He survived, but all the muscles in his arms were torn apart.

You have some interesting pointers here, but I want to point out that it can be deadly using electrum Feruchemy for adrenaline. While adrenaline does provide some "super-human" abilities, it is very dangerous. Many of those amazing stories you hear have an aftermath, mainly the person involved ending up with lasting injuries or in rehab. I remember reading a story somewhere where a man was in a landslide, and he ended up lifting a huge rock off himself to save his life. He survived, but all the muscles in his arms were torn apart.

Yeah, adrenaline can't make you stronger than you are, what it can do is make you not feel the pain of your muscles tearing from over exertion. Which is good for survival because a few torn muscles are better than being dead but deliberately doing it on a regular basis may not be healthy.

Yeah, adrenaline can't make you stronger than you are, what it can do is make you not feel the pain of your muscles tearing from over exertion. Which is good for survival because a few torn muscles are better than being dead but deliberately doing it on a regular basis may not be healthy.

May not be healthy? May not be healthy? Not healthy at all. That is permanent damage with overuse right there. But still, good in a pinch, better than being dead.

Also, Electrum shadows are much more difficult to read than atium shadows are. You may know that if you walk forward three paces, you'll die, but you may not know how. It doesn't tell you how to avoid it and you may not have time to search out every opportunity in order to find the one that you survive. Atium shows you other's actions and what to avoid. Electrum will give you a slight advantage, but not nearly as much. 

And as for the adrenaline, the Electrum doesn't store it, it only stores determination. However, when you access that extra determination, it causes your body to release adrenaline. Or at least that is what happens from what I can tell.

We're also assuming the feedback loop of making choices based on what choices you made in the future (like with two people using atium on each other) won't just split the electrum shadow the instant you start burning or some other pointless effect like that.

I mean aluminum gets to be normally useless too.

The problem with allomantic Electrum is that as far as we know it doesn't enhance your mind to deal with the information like Atium does, you might see yourself getting hurt slightly before it happens but your reaction time will essentially render it pointless.

So what if you were an Electrum Twinborn and could compound Electrum? It would be several times more dangerous to have that level of adrenaline, BUT you would be able to burn Electrum with it. To a skilled twinborn that would be just as good as Atium especially since Atium isn't around anymore  Also, the compounding of adrenaline could work similar to how Vin uses Tin in the first trilogy, when she is severely injured she flares her Tin and is jolted which often keeps her alive.

• Chaos locked this topic