God King and Lord Ruler have synonymous titles

Brassmind

• 1 month later...

I guess, the names are similar, but the names give a totally different view of the. For the Lord Ruler, he is essentially a tyrant, who controls all things, but is just a man with special abilities (except when he tapped the well of ascension). Whereas the God King is actually enthroned by his own people, and is human in form, but the returned have powers totally separate from normal people and awakeners, not only being increased in breath with the divine breath but having the ability to change form. In conclusion the source of their title is different, how they are viewed is different (people revere the God King, few do so to the Lord Ruler), and the title confers different meanings (absolute Authority--Lord Ruler, Enthroned divinity--God King).

I think the names are pretty different. "God King" combines religious and secular authority, and many real-world religions had god kings. "Lord Ruler" is a purely secular title, and even when the Lord Ruler creates a religion, he has it care more about enforcing contracts than anything spiritual.

They both had no idea what they were getting into, but the God King looks like he'll be, at least potentially, truly fulfilling his place as savior of a deceived people. 

The Lord Ruler did his best, but ultimately his solution was a stop-gap, ramshackle operation. 

I think the wording (God King, being a stronger label than Lord Ruler) is telling.

• Chaos locked this topic