Timing of Alloy of Law

Turos

Am I wrong in my understanding that the Alloy of Law happens around three hundred years after the first Mistborn Trilogy?

If not, Kelsier's quote leaves me wondering...

“I pretty much ended atium production in the Final Empire for the next three hundred years or so.”

Sanderson, Brandon (2011-02-01). Mistborn Trilogy (Kindle Locations 10463-10464). Macmillan. Kindle Edition.

Edited by Turos Stoneward

Brandon has said that Sazed is doing something with the part of Ruin that he has more than Preservation. The only way we know for Marsh to live as long as he does on Scardrial would be Atium compounding. So it makes sense that Harmony is giving him Atium and is having the Kollos guard the mines.

I do not think however that we know so. It could be that Sazed splintered the extra part of Ruin, gave that to marsh and he's living as long as he is that way. It would simply be a lot more roundabout.

Do you have a quote or WoB for that? I don't recall anything of the sort.

Pits of Eltania, p254 & 310 in the ebook. (Newspaper article end of Chapter 12 and 15)

There's no mention of Atium or mining, but the presence of the "Pits of" (anything) in the Mistborn series is a pretty good indication.

My personal theory is that the Suit is trying to not only try and breed a Mistborn/allomancer army, but is also trying to find Atium Mistings (which is why all the girls he kidnapped have strong allomantic lines, but no known powers). The timelines match up too closely for it to be a coincidence. 

My personal theory is that the Suit is trying to not only try and breed a Mistborn/allomancer army, but is also trying to find Atium Mistings (which is why all the girls he kidnapped have strong allomantic lines, but no known powers). The timelines match up too closely for it to be a coincidence.

I can't find the reference now, but I thought Brandon said there were no more Atium Mistings post-Harmony.

Though it may've been a "there aren't any RIGHT NOW" type of statement.

Since there are no more Atium mistings(I heard that too thou I cant find it either), perhaps when Atium is no longer locked in among the 16, everyone who is an allomancer can burn it since its a god metal?

Not sure if I believe that myself, but its possible.  

Only reason Preservation created atium mistings was to burn that atium.

If they could do it regardless there'd be no point.

Mayhaps anyone utilizing Hemalurgy can burn Atium?

The Coppermind says AoL takes place 341 years after HoA. 

Oh. Wow. I just noticed something.

341 is one third of 1023. That's one short of 1024, which is 2 to the power of 10. This number has been mentioned elsewhere by Brandon about Mistborn. I can't remember where, but it is important, I know it.

Powers of 2 are:

2;4;8;16;32;64;128;256;512;1024.

These same numbers are used in measuring computer data storage sizes. 1 kilobyte is known as 1000 bytes, but is actually 1024 bytes. Each size higher is also 1024 times the previous measure. A gigabyte is 1024 megabytes. Not necessarily related, but interesting coincidence.

Either way, can anyone remember what that quote is, about 1,024 years? I wonder if the Lord Ruler ruled for not one thousand years, but one thousand and twenty four years. I don't think that was it, though.

From Wikipedia:

In binary notation, 1024 is represented as 10000000000, making it a simple round number occurring frequently in computer applications.

I wonder how much resemblance the Cosmere has to things like this. Numbers are definitely symbolistic or important. Why? There's no reason for there to be no reason. We wouldn't see numbers have an important impact while remaining mysteriously foreshadowy unless that is what they are: foreshadows. True or false foreshadowing, who knows? Shadows, nonetheless, and I wonder if 'red herrings' don't actually serve as a clue to the truth in and of themselves.

16 is also a power of 2. 16 metals. 8 base metals. 4 categories. 2 God metals.

I remember reading somewhere that it was 1023 years specifically (and then the Well would likely remain filled for up to 1 year, giving a 1024 year cycle)

Ah, yes, it was that alright. If a scadrial year has twelve months, and we figure out what month Kelsier destroyed the Atium geodes, we can assume that Atium will be back in production 341 years and 4 months after that date. These numbers definitely stand out, but I wonder if there is actually any accuracy in what Kelsier guessed.

As far as the Well of Ascension, that means a new bead of Lerasium or more. Isn't that convenient?

There is actually several Shardic number theory forums around. Take a look at what people have come up with. There are a ton of non-coincidenced in them. For example, Roshar is ten. That one isn't really hard to see. It is obvious that Scadrial is two. Nalthis is five. Etc. If I can find the forum, I'll edit the link into this.

EDIT:

This is the first of three Shard number theories. You'll see that this one links to the next two.

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/8773-shardic-number-theory-revisited-part-one-shards/

Edited by Sirce Luckwielder

• Chaos locked this topic