What sort of name is Lutha?

TheOneKEA

One of the things that I'd noticed when reading The Alloy of Law was the name of the city of Elendel, presumably named for Elend. So, with that in mind, I'd like to find out someday if Lutha (assuming that the -del suffix in Scadrialese is a natural syllabic suffix for place names) is a male name or a female name, and what sort of person they were (or are) to be notable enough to have a the capital city of the Final Empire named after them.

(P.S. First post!)

I *believe* that this has been asked before and it got a big ol' RAFO.

I checked the forums and the question that was RAFO'd was basically "Who was Lutha?" Part of my question has more to do with the name itself, and the other part has to do with why they were/are famous enough to lend their name to a city.

All of this Lord Ruler mythos that we'd never have a good reason to be told now that the world has been remade makes me think it's going to be Rashek and not Kelsier who gets their soul spiked into a new body at some point during the next two trilogies.

Just nit picking, but Luthad could have been the name as well, with -el being an indicator of name. Either way, probably someone important to Rashek, however... the RAFO makes me curious if this person is dead or not. I wonder if Rashek trusted any other Feruchemist enough to give them Lerasium as a backup plan. Perhaps someone far enough away that they couldn't be a threat. The other side of the world, maybe?

Just nit picking, but Luthad could have been the name as well, with -el being an indicator of name. Either way, probably someone important to Rashek, however... the RAFO makes me curious if this person is dead or not. I wonder if Rashek trusted any other Feruchemist enough to give them Lerasium as a backup plan. Perhaps someone far enough away that they couldn't be a threat. The other side of the world, maybe?

Speaking of the other side of the world. I wonder what happened to the rest of the population centers that DIDN'T have caverns to go hide in. The reason being is that when Vin clogged the ashmounts, she freaked out and spun the planet around. Anyone on the other side of the world would have burnt to a crisp - unless she only clogged the localized ash mounts?

Just makes me think that if there was another... Ferumancer(?) then he'd have to be near where all the action was taking place in order to find salvation during the final battle.

Speaking of the other side of the world. I wonder what happened to the rest of the population centers that DIDN'T have caverns to go hide in. The reason being is that when Vin clogged the ashmounts, she freaked out and spun the planet around. Anyone on the other side of the world would have burnt to a crisp - unless she only clogged the localized ash mounts?

Just makes me think that if there was another... Ferumancer(?) then he'd have to be near where all the action was taking place in order to find salvation during the final battle.

Well if the Lord Ruler could re-grow his head, I think a similar kind of Ferumancer could survive a solar holocaust with gold compounding, possibly mixed with investiture compounding.

Luthad might have been mightily pissed off, though. If he existed/exists. If not, he probably didn't have to do anything to survive that event and didn't feel anything.

Well if the Lord Ruler could re-grow his head, I think a similar kind of Ferumancer could survive a solar holocaust with gold compounding, possibly mixed with investiture compounding.

Luthad might have been mightily pissed off, though. If he existed/exists. If not, he probably didn't have to do anything to survive that event and didn't feel anything.

Unless the solar holocaust was enough to melt his gold metal minds? Sort of depends on how hot, and how long of exposure the guy had to potentially endure.

e.g. Pretty sure if you nuked Miles, he wouldn't be coming back.

Completely derailed off topic but I still think you're going to be limited by the melting point of your metal minds. And even with the temperature metal minds, there's only a limit to how much a metal mind can hold right?

It would be one hell of a combo to survive a nuke. lol

I have honestly no idea how compounding actually works.

Because in Final Empire, Vin agifies TLR by ripping his atium metal minds, that he was using to compound age, from his arms.

But from the explanation we got of compounding in Alloy of Law, it sounds like when a compounder stores an attribute in a metal, it creates a brand new allomantic metal that they can burn for a positive yield of that attribute. But, presumably, they burn for that attribute by ingesting their metal. Because it's allomancy. Vin tries to burn Sazed's metalmind by ingesting and she can *feel* if not use the power.

But then if that's true... ripping the bracers off TLR shouldn't have done anything but disrupt the cycle by which he was making more enchanced atium. He would have been staying young by burning the feruchemically enchanced atium in his stomach, not on his arms.

So if this hypothetical Lutha was using compounding to survive a solar hollocaust, he would mostly only need to protect the metal in his stomach... which he would do by not dying and also possibly by bringing down his body temperature.

... unless you burn your metalminds when they're outside your body. And they... dissolve or something? Wayne made a comment about Miles constantly needing more gold to fuel his compounding. Do the metalminds just burn outside your body? Wouldn't that too obvious for TLR to use for 1000 years without anyone remarking on it? Or describing it during the fight scenes?

Edited by Yados

I have honestly know idea how compounding actually works.

Because in Final Empire, Vin agifies TLR by ripping his atium metal minds, that he was using to compound age, from his arms.

But from the explanation we got of compounding in Alloy of Law, it sounds like when a compounder stores an attribute in a metal, it creates a brand new allomantic metal that they can burn for a positive yield of that attribute. But, presumably, they burn for that attribute by ingesting their metal. Because it's allomancy. Vin tries to burn Sazed's metalmind by ingesting and she can *feel* if not use the power.

But then if that's true... ripping the bracers off TLR shouldn't have done anything but disrupt the cycle by which he was making more enchanced atium. He would have been staying young by burning the feruchemically enchanced atium in his stomach, not on his arms.

So if this hypothetical Lutha was using compounding to survive a solar hollocaust, he would mostly only need to protect the metal in his stomach... which he would do by not dying and also possibly by bringing down his body temperature.

... unless you burn your metalminds when they're outside your body. And they... dissolve or something? Wayne made a comment about Miles constantly needing more gold to fuel his compounding. Do the metalminds just burn outside your body? Wouldn't that too obvious for TLR to use for 1000 years without anyone remarking on it? Or describing it during the fight scenes?

This was answered at the end of tFE. The Lord Ruler wasn't burning Atium to get the age. As Sazed put it, you get far too much far too quickly. There's no easy throttle. Much better to burn all of the new metal in one go, and store the sudden burst of [attribute] directly into your metalminds.

That's apparently what TLR did. He had an enormous age charge stored up in the metal-minds Vin pulled off, and apparently no age-stored Atium on him. It's also shown quite clearly in Allow of Law that that is what Miles does as well. He very seldom burns gold for health.

Edited by happyman

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I see how that works now. I was missing the final step.

Well that's a year's worth of confusion put to bed.

But then that does help hypothetical Lutha, who could burn his super gold allomantically in a pinch to Super Heal himself for a short amount of time and survive the brief solar holocaust.

Edited by Yados

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I see how that works now. I was missing the final step.

Well that's a year's worth of confusion put to bed.

But then that does help hypothetical Lutha, who could burn his super gold allomantically in a pinch to Super Heal himself for a short amount of time and survive the brief solar holocaust.

The Solar Holocaust lasted for like, six hours.

Luthad could be one of the First Generation. The only name we got was Haddek.

Hmm. Could you stand in a fire without getting hurt by storing bodyheat?

Should work. Atleast as long as the metalminds dont get full or melt;)

Win. While we all debate melting gold, good ol Dyring here just stores heat. I love it!

On a side-note, I doubt TLR had a backup. It doens't sound lik ehim.

Win. While we all debate melting gold, good ol Dyring here just stores heat. I love it!

On a side-note, I doubt TLR had a backup. It doens't sound lik ehim.

How not? Storage caverns, kandra, weakness in the Inquisitors is all back up in case he was killed by Ruin.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, but he was killed by Ruin and Luthad never showed up.

That just means it was a lousy back up :P

That said, I don't think we're likely to find another Lord Ruler bumming around as a back up, while one could have survived hidden in the Final Empire, 300 years after their supplies stopped coming they would be dead or would have had to reveal themselves in order to gain more supplies.

That just means it was a lousy back up :P/>

That said, I don't think we're likely to find another Lord Ruler bumming around as a back up, while one could have survived hidden in the Final Empire, 300 years after their supplies stopped coming they would be dead or would have had to reveal themselves in order to gain more supplies.

Backup might have been to keep humanity in general alive. I wouldn't be surprised if the people on the other pole are more technologically advanced than Final Empire and it's decedents.

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking around in the interview database when I found the below quote saying that that no one on the south pole has injested Lerasium, so there are few Mistings and no Mistborn there. As for the name, I doubt there is any hard evidence at the moment to draw from, but since it was an RAFO it may be referenced in a book he hasn't written/published yet, or not.

Comatose (18 October 2008)

So here's my last question. If there ARE people on the other side of the world, did Vin kill them all by placing the sun on their side, or do they have they're own Ruin/Preservation battle going on over there as well? Do they also have allomancy feruchemy and hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson (20 October 2008)

No, they're not dead. Yes, Rashek was aware of them. In fact, he placed them there as a reserve. I knew he wanted a 'control' group of people in case his changes to genetics ended with the race being in serious trouble. All I'll say is that he found a way other than changing them genetically to help them survive in the world he created. And since they were created by Ruin and Preservation, they have the seeds of the Three Metallic Arts in them—though without anyone among them having burned Lerasium, Allomancers would have been very rare in their population and full Mistborn unheard of.

Hey people, its been a while. Anyway I was thinking Lutha/Luthad has a more Cosmere related significance instead of purely Mistborn. Idk

I find it somewhat difficult to believe that an industrial age people, such as the ones living in Elendel would not have explored their entire world, actually the same thing with the people on the other side, if they are indeed as advanced as everyone seems to assume.

Hey people, its been a while. Anyway I was thinking Lutha/Luthad has a more Cosmere related significance instead of purely Mistborn. Idk

I find it somewhat difficult to believe that an industrial age people, such as the ones living in Elendel would not have explored their entire world, actually the same thing with the people on the other side, if they are indeed as advanced as everyone seems to assume.

The first paragraph here seems possible. Worth keeping in the back of our heads, yes?

As for the second part, well, it's complicated. My feel from Alloy of Law is that they have been experiencing an enormous internal expansion (technology, politics, etc.) which his distracted them from systematic exploration. They had an odd combination of technologies after Sazed's ascension, due to their extremely odd history. Some things got pushed forward and others backward relative to our world (or, frankly, their world without the Ruin/Preservation conflict suddenly heating up again.)

Or to put it more clearly, the northern surviving humans landed in an almost perfect environment with an enormous library at their disposal and no known rivals. A little complacency and tendency to just read the library seems like a natural result.

• 3 weeks later...