Our Novels are Their History

Kobold King

Just a random thought that occurred to me. Readers of the Reckoners books may have noticed that the series is written as a first-person narrative, like most of Brandon's non-Cosmere works. It's told as if David Charleston were telling us the full story of how he joined the Reckoners and battled Epics with nothing but his guns, wits, and bad metaphors.

What I wonder about is whether SteelheartFirefight, and the forthcoming Calamity will one day exist in-universe as accounts written by the legendary Steelslayer. It seems likely that with the massive events and revelations the books cover, somebody will need to enlighten the Fractured States' citizens on the true nature of Epics and the circumstances that led their world's salvation. Could it be that the novels we're now enjoying will be the firsthand historical accounts of David Charleston?

Just a random thought that occurred to me. Readers of the Reckoners books may have noticed that the series is written as a first-person narrative, like most of Brandon's non-Cosmere works. It's told as if David Charleston were telling us the full story of how he joined the Reckoners and battled Epics with nothing but his guns, wits, and bad metaphors.

What I wonder about is whether SteelheartFirefight, and the forthcoming Calamity will one day exist in-universe as accounts written by the legendary Steelslayer. It seems likely that with the massive events and revelations the books cover, somebody will need to enlighten the Fractured States' citizens on the true nature of Epics and the circumstances that led their world's salvation. Could it be that the novels we're now enjoying will be the firsthand historical accounts of David Charleston?

Kind of like Alcatraz writing his own account of his exploits in order to dispel rumors? That's plausible. 

I like the idea, but find it weird that David would include his thoughts about how hot Megan is in said historical accounts. :P

It's like a chinchilla having a knife fight with a tarantula. Cool, but of dubious historical significance and it probably shouldn't be in a school. :P

• Chaos locked this topic