The heralds, where are they now(spoilers)

.S.A.M.K.M

Never thought about the children before, probably because it wasn't something relevant at the time of reading, but excellent to think about now.  natc, there is an interlude titled Taln, so either the madman believes he is Taln to the point of an identity crisis, or he really is who he says he is.  He also knows about stormlight in such a way that he attacks Shallan when she tries to use it in or around his cell.

Were heralds created or were they simple bestowed power? Can they pass on their power on to create new heralds?

If they could create new heralds, then they wouldn't have had to break (or weaken) the Oathpact -- having grown tired of millennia of torture, the Herald could just pick someone new and say, "you're it, I'm done." And if one could die (and stay dead), then the torture wouldn't last long on them. I don't think passing the power fits with the "job" of the Oathpact, and if true death were possible, I'm sure they would have taken that way out by now.

• 2 weeks later...

I din't know if anyone else really noticed it in the same way I did, and I could be reading WAY too much in to this, but just before Shallan enters Taln's cell, she passes a woman that Pattern claims is "rubbing her own excrement of the wall". More, he immediately mentions patterns, and claimed it "looked interesting". I got suspicious before even seeing that post about all Heralds supposedly being seen already. Is that true? Do we have any WoB on that?

(I apologize for not directly quoting WoR. It was on audiobook 2 days ago that I heard it)

• Chaos locked this topic