Uses For Copper Feruchemy

Slowswift

So copper feruchemy seems largely useless. When you store memories, you basically forget them. When tapping, they decay.

I'm sure there'd be plenty of uses if you thought hard enough. For example, that really dumb thing you did five years ago? Dump the memory in a coppermind and chuck it in a river.

I'll post some more when I can get to a real computer.

EDIT: Clarification! Yay!

Edited by Slowswift

having memories that you can access sharply at any time and never forget while they are stored is far from useless, even if the modern era of portable electronic memories. I'd definitelly want to store my university exams there; I have forgotten 90% of the stuff anyway, may as well make sure that I can remember it when I need it. since I am a boring normal human, instead, if I need something I studied in an exam I will have to fish out the books and notes about it from my stash of university books and study it again to remember it. How about a vacation, a nice time, some valuable experience? memory fades anyway, you may as well store the memory of the thing in a coppermind while only keeping in your head the memory that you actually did the thing. then, when you want to remember, it will be fresh.

Also the "forget" ooption is pretty useful; whenever i reread a book, I could dump all the content of it into a coppermind and it will be as new.

The use you suggest, dumping your mistakes to forget them, is actually a pretty stupid use of copper feruchemy. if you forget you did something stupid and regretted it, you'll do it again. also, once you start to do it regularly, you may start to wonder who you really are and if the guy you remember being is really you or just an idealized version you concocted to satisfy your ego. better if you remember. although you can forget just enough to be more comfortable with the memory.

It's as useless as a portable hard drive is useless; i.e. not in the slightest.

You just need to keep track of what filing architecture you are using it seems. Works brilliantly.

I'm under the impression that tapping doesn't directly decay the memories, but that it's just that memories do that regardless in your brain and the Keepers were huge sticklers for total accuracy.

OK, so I'm at a real computer now, and it’s time to clarify.

What I mean by useless isn’t “useless,” if that makes any sense. I could've written this better, but I was using a tablet and the keyboard was not conducive to quick typing or excessive logic.

I simply meant that while memories are stored, you can’t remember them, and it seems like a bit of a downside to me. Don't get me wrong, that can still be useful, but...

There are tons of uses, and that’s what I really wanted to discuss. How about this: If you were an Archivist, how would you use your power? 

Archivists generally seem to wear that copper 24/7 so forgetting really wasn't an issue.

You know how some RPGs have stupid amounts of customization to optimize? Would be nice to play through the story from scratch with a perfect copy of my previous setup on hand without needing electronics. Store whole walkthroughs even.

Or watching a movie more times. Cheating on tests, etc.

Honey-do-lists. Archivists who are married have no excuse... This is the only reason I wouldn't want to be a Copper Ferring.

"What's that babe? Oh Storms! I completely forgot to... what? No honey I didn't store it in my... what? FINE! I didn't want to do it, does that make you happy to hear?"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic