Dalinar's Wife!

CHOUTAGOD

I realize not much is told on her except these couple of things

She wasnt very smart but was very sweet and likeable

Her name and general info on her are never mentioned because of Dalinar's deal with the Nightwatcher

She was Adolin and Renarin's Mother

Most likely not or not purely Alethi due to Adolin's mixed black and gold hair

She died before TWAK started

Thats all I really know about her. Any extra help or theories on her is appreciated. Really I think she plays an important role in future books. Thank you for reading and for your input.

P.S. My personal theory on how she died is that Jasnah had her assasinated.

If there mother had been assassinated, Adolin or his brother would have mentioned it even if Dalinar couldn't. Dalinar not being able to save his brother from being assassinated is his biggest regret, there is NO WAY Adolin wouldn't have an equally massive chip on his shoulder if something like that happened.

Thats just my theory Jasnah assasin could be very discreet on how Dalinars wife was assasinated. Also not every assasination is like Szeths. Remember also that Dalinar remembers Absolutely NOTHING about his wife. Any other theories.

I don't see why jasnah would have wanted her assassinated. Also, everything we know about her suggests that she would not do it. Yes, she can be ruthless when the situation calls for it, but she has a good heart. she takes shallan in when she asks for help. she gives up precious stormlight while in shadesmar to save a bunch of sailors. she wouldn't killl a person without a good reason, and if dalinar's wife was kind hearted then i don't see what that "goood reason" would be.

Personally I think she was a spy long term or it was all a facade for some other purpose. I have a very active imagination. We really dont know nearly ANYTHING about her. Remember its just a theory.

Oh!  So she faked being all nice and normal and stuff!  Kind of like Emmet!

<headcanon>

Dalinar's wife was Kaladin's mother. Kaladin is Dalinar's stepson.

</headcanon>

My knee-jerk emotional reaction to this was to think of Dalinar as Big Papa Kholin.

Unfortunately I doubt there is any possible way the wife of a Highprince can marry a surgeon in a rival Highprince's princedom without anyone noticing, but headcanon doesn't have to make sense.

I actually get the feeling there's a lot more going on with Dalinar's wife. Especially with the indication, that she's "not very smart". Many people judged Dalinar himself similar. 

She may not really even be dead for all that we know. I mean I was pretty sure Jasnah was dead and look how that turned out. Also now, that Dalinar has bonded such a powerful spren, what happens with the Nightwatchers curse? Is it removed somehow?

That fits with him being a Knight Kholin.

Nah, Kaladin becomes a Knight Kholin when he marries Jasnah. Also Shallan marries Adolin, and Lift marries Renarin. No need for secret parentage. Things could get tricky though if Szeth bonds a spren... I guess he'd have to marry Elhokar? Awkward.

--

There's so little to go on about Dalinar's wife. I could see her maybe being part of a secret society, which could give various people motive to kill her. If she was murdered though I feel we'd have heard about it from Adolin, so if she was actually killed it must've been made to look like an accident or natural causes.

I'm gonna throw out a completely wild guess though and say she was actually a Herald, and faked her own death.

Nah, Kaladin becomes a Knight Kholin when he marries Jasnah. Also Shallan marries Adolin, and Lift marries Renarin. No need for secret parentage. Things could get tricky though if Szeth bonds a spren... I guess he'd have to marry Elhokar? Awkward.

I already put forward my (joke) theory in this thread: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/23344-relationships-between-heralds/page-2

The Heralds were the original Kholins.  Szeth is 17 generations (coincidence?  No.) removed from having a Kholin father (so he's Szeth-son-son... son-Kholin).  Kal's mother's family was part of the Kholins.  Jasnah's mother was a Kholin.  Lift is actually Dalinar's daughter.  And so on.  Knights Kholin.

I already put forward my (joke) theory in this thread: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/23344-relationships-between-heralds/page-2

The Heralds were the original Kholins.  Szeth is 17 generations (coincidence?  No.) removed from having a Kholin father (so he's Szeth-son-son... son-Kholin).  Kal's mother's family was part of the Kholins.  Jasnah's mother was a Kholin.  Lift is actually Dalinar's daughter.  And so on.  Knights Kholin.

I do enjoy the idea of Szeth-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-Kholin. I'm imagining him gradually deciding he's dishonored his grandfather, then great grandfather, and so on until the reveal... But I think I prefer my way with the Elhokar/Szeth ship. Imagine:

Hello. My name is Elhokar Kholin. You killed my father. Prepare to... Marry me?

(I hope no one takes this seriously ;))

--

There's so little to go on about Dalinar's wife. I could see her maybe being part of a secret society, which could give various people motive to kill her. If she was murdered though I feel we'd have heard about it from Adolin, so if she was actually killed it must've been made to look like an accident or natural causes.

I'm gonna throw out a completely wild guess though and say she was actually a Herald, and faked her own death.

Smidge, imma just call you UPS, 'cause you be shippin'.  B)

The Heralds were the original Kholins.  Szeth is 17 generations (coincidence?  No.) removed from having a Kholin father (so he's Szeth-son-son... son-Kholin).

Szeth-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-son-Kholin. 

My personal theroy is that Dalinar's boon from the Nightwatcher was to forget about his wife, the curse is actually something different that we either don't know or have missed (I have even conisdered that Renarins fits was the curse, as Dalinar seems to change when he think about how fragile Renarin is).

If this is in anyway correct, that would mean that Dalinar was in so much pain/greif/guilt that he needed to forget (maybe he killed her in one of his infamous rages) or it is part of a larger plan that required his wifes faked death. 

There isn't enough information, but I think it's safe to assume that it will play a larger role as the story progresses due to the amount of times it has been brought up, the involvement of the Nightwatcher and we still have Dalinar's flashback book (Highprince of War?) that will no doubt unravel the mystery.

My personal theroy is that Dalinar's boon from the Nightwatcher was to forget about his wife, the curse is actually something different that we either don't know or have missed (I have even conisdered that Renarins fits was the curse, as Dalinar seems to change when he think about how fragile Renarin is).

I was going to say the same thing about his boon being him forgetting his wife. I can't remember either of the books saying that forgetting was his bane. I would think if this was this case, there would be no reason to avoid mentioning it, as that's what already is being implied. Especially since he refused to tell Adolin what his boon was (implying it was something he's ashamed of). Personally, I think that she betrayed him. Perhaps a spy for one the secret organizations, or perhaps working toward her own agenda.

I was going to say the same thing about his boon being him forgetting his wife. I can't remember either of the books saying that forgetting was his bane. I would think if this was this case, there would be no reason to avoid mentioning it, as that's what already is being implied. Especially since he refused to tell Adolin what his boon was (implying it was something he's ashamed of).

Let's look at it this way, the other half of the Nightwatcher's effect is likely more significant than forgetting his wife, whether that's the bane or not.

Also, when exactly did he go to the nightwatcher?  I can't recall whether it was before or after Gavilar's assasination.  If he went after, I have a weird idea for his boon that could make for a good plot twist.

Let's look at it this way, the other half of the Nightwatcher's effect is likely more significant than forgetting his wife, whether that's the bane or not.

Also, when exactly did he go to the nightwatcher?  I can't recall whether it was before or after Gavilar's assasination.  If he went after, I have a weird idea for his boon that could make for a good plot twist.

It was likely before Gavilar's assassination.  The most probable timeframe was when Elhokar and Roshone were involved in that incident with Moash's grandparents, and Elhokar was still Crown Prince then.

Obviously she was Shalash. 

(while I don't think this is actually the case, it's kind of fun how appropriate it would be. Anytime someone says her name in his presence, he hears a 'Shshshsh' noise. Now, we read that as him just hearing nothing, or the name being obscured, but WHAT IF it's actually a 'hint' of some sort to him about who she truly was. And then there's the fact that she likes ruining statues and images of herself - not unlike erasing herself from memory. It would also open up several different possibilities as to what his boon and curse from the Nightwatcher really were...like I said, 99% certain this isn't true but false theories can be just as much fun as real ones)

*jumps onboard the HMS Elhokar/Szeth*

It was likely before Gavilar's assassination.  The most probable timeframe was when Elhokar and Roshone were involved in that incident with Moash's grandparents, and Elhokar was still Crown Prince then.

Right, forgot about that.  Thanks for refreshing me.

I think that a good (but highly improbable) plot twist for the boon (if forgetting his wife is the curse) would be for Dalinar to have asked the Nightwatcher to be more like Gavilar, or something along those lines.  A sort of psychological driver pushing him in that direction, and also towards driving the Parshendi towards adopting stormform and causing the desolation, since that's something that Gavilar apparently wanted to do.

Highly unlikely, as I said, but would be neat.  I should take a break from HALO, the Master Chief - Iso Didact connection is starting to assimilate me like the flood.

Edited by Patrick Star