Nightblood And Black Orb Correlation

Omniscience

So if Nightblood is essentially an Endowment Shardblade (albeit a broken one) does that mean its possible to make a Shardblade-like weapon out of any Investiture? Like, could you have a Mistborn wielding a Preservation Shardblade that coalesces out of the mists?

This is possible, at least for Devotion/Dominion (though not quite in the way you mean with the mists):

Sir Jerric

Could a Seon, or a Skaze, could they turn into a, some sort of Shardblade on their own planet?

Brandon Sanderson

That is theoretically possible. It's—I mean they work under the same fundamentals, but they would need to have something to pull them more into the physical realm.

(source)

You just need Preservation to make some Splinters, I guess. And then find something to pull them into the Physical when they bond someone.

This may be answered somewhere...  The investiture that Nightblood absorbs and corrupts:  is it recycled?  That is, does it go back the the Shard that it came from?  Or am I confusing terms? Nightblood absorbs both breath/stormlight and Souls.  My understanding is that investiture is a closed system.  Not sure how Souls fit in.   What is "corrupted Breath"?  And if Nightblood can absorb and corrupt a soul, is this similar to how one of the Odium spren touches and corrupts Honor-spren?  

We don't know if it's recycled, but I think it's a fair guess to say that the corrupted Breath eventually makes it back to Endowment. I mean, where else is it going to go? Someone should really ask Brandon that.

Edited by Moogle

So... I'm getting the idea that Nightblood's 'sentience' is a function of the Breath he was imbued with, and that's similar to the sentience of some spren. More than an element-spren, maybe more than a first-oath honorspren, but probably not as much as a second-oath honorspren. In fact, it seems reasonable that 'destroy evil' is Nightblood's first, and only, ideal. So he is about as sentient as a radiantspren with one oath spoken.

The thing about Nightblood is that he doesn't progress or regress. He's always at around the same level of sentience. I'm completely ignoring the black smoke because, although it's fascinating, it would take too long to express my thoughts on the matter. I can be rather verbose. (If I'm writing and not speaking, does that mean I'm lex-tose?)

What I'm getting at is, maybe a radiantspren of the first level has about as much shard power (/innate investiture) as 1,000 Breaths. It's an approximation, but it could be a functional ratio. Now... how much stormlight to make a spren? haha

Hmm. . .

If we can find something other than you-know-what that can draw and contain Mist, can we create a Preservation-Nightblood? Ruin-Nightblood from the black Mist? A Ruinblade, the horror . . . I want to see one! :D

Just what broke Nightblood anyway? He's made of enough Endowment to become sentient, but instead of doing something related to giving people power he outright steals your soul, along with other investiture. Weird fellow.

That's rather an odd thought... I guess a thousand Breaths isn't enough to make his Intent coincide with Endowment's. Although now that I think about it, 1,000 Breaths isn't actually a significant portion of Endowment. So I would guess a Ruinblade could be manufactured with the Ideal to "Block projectiles" or something not directly connected to Ruin. Of course, the more complex or abstract the ideal, the more investiture it would take. I wonder how you would feasibly invest a sword with investiture on Scadrial? Would you have to use atium? Could you use feruchemy to 'store' investiture in the blade? Maybe the black orb is stored, corrupted investiture? I dunno...

So... I'm getting the idea that Nightblood's 'sentience' is a function of the Breath he was imbued with, and that's similar to the sentience of some spren. More than an element-spren, maybe more than a first-oath honorspren, but probably not as much as a second-oath honorspren. In fact, it seems reasonable that 'destroy evil' is Nightblood's first, and only, ideal. So he is about as sentient as a radiantspren with one oath spoken.

The thing about Nightblood is that he doesn't progress or regress. He's always at around the same level of sentience. I'm completely ignoring the black smoke because, although it's fascinating, it would take too long to express my thoughts on the matter. I can be rather verbose. (If I'm writing and not speaking, does that mean I'm lex-tose?)

What I'm getting at is, maybe a radiantspren of the first level has about as much shard power (/innate investiture) as 1,000 Breaths. It's an approximation, but it could be a functional ratio. Now... how much stormlight to make a spren? haha

Brandon said that Nightblood is more powerful than a Shardblade by an order of magnitudes, so he's got far more shardpower than a radiantspren.  Also, he does progress, but it's limited.  I don't have Warbreaker with me right now, but I think that nightblood's definition of evil may change over time, I'll have to find the quote, I may be wrong.  His early memories are read only, so he still remembers his creator (forget the name) and all of the other returned as alive, even though Vasher's been killing them.

I think that Nightblood is more powerful than a Shardblade because of the amount of Investiture used to create him. The Honorblades might be just as powerful as Nightblood. Also it might be easier to use Nightblood on Roshar which would make him more powerful just because stormlight is easier to find and use.

I think that Nightblood is more powerful than a Shardblade because of the amount of Investiture used to create him. The Honorblades might be just as powerful as Nightblood. Also it might be easier to use Nightblood on Roshar which would make him more powerful just because stormlight is easier to find and use.

I'm not even sure if Nightblood actually needs a power source. Just showing up makes "good" people ill, and shardblades don't need constant power either. He just happens to like eating investiture. The investiture used also seemed to already be the minimum they needed to make Nightblood move, so it's honestly weird that it has all these side effects in the first place if any less would've done nothing.

We also have not seen a single honorblade do something impressive. They should be this powerful logically speaking, but they've yet to prove themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not even sure if Nightblood actually needs a power source. Just showing up makes "good" people ill, and shardblades don't need constant power either. He just happens to like eating investiture. The investiture used also seemed to already be the minimum they needed to make Nightblood move, so it's honestly weird that it has all these side effects in the first place if any less would've done nothing.

We also have not seen a single honorblade do something impressive. They should be this powerful logically speaking, but they've yet to prove themselves.

He defnitiley needs a power source, but only while in use (which in Warbreaker is described as being out of his sheath) also in Warbreaker, and i dont remember the exact quote, it says something along the lines of he only makes those un-worthy or corrupt at heart ill. The investiture he eats is what fuels his some of his abilities, like when he turned walls into nothing on Vashirs Mad Dash of Murder.

Also, we know the black smoke has something to do with him being broken what i ahve now decided this means is he is corrupting all the investiture he takes in because something happened when he was crafted that broke him. So while channeling Endowments investiture he turned breathes into the black smoke, he now channels Stormlight and turns it into black smoke.

Also, we know the black smoke has something to do with him being broken what i ahve now decided this means is he is corrupting all the investiture he takes in because something happened when he was crafted that broke him.

Well Vasher did use Him to kill Shashara, and I don't believe she was evil. Vasher did it just to keep the knowledge of Nightblood's creation a secret. This could have corrupted Nightblood's intent from the very beginning. Maybe when Nightblood came to Roshar this is what Odium picked up upon. Like how he's possibly corrupted the Herald's who seem to be contradicting their intended purposes.

Well Vasher did use Him to kill Shashara, and I don't believe she was evil. Vasher did it just to keep the knowledge of Nightblood's creation a secret. This could have corrupted Nightblood's intent from the very beginning. Maybe when Nightblood came to Roshar this is what Odium picked up upon. Like how he's possibly corrupted the Herald's who seem to be contradicting their intended purposes.

Reading warbreaker, it sounded like Nightblood was broken from the moment he was created, so nothing to do with Shashara.  And Syl's killed men before, and that hasn't broken her (as the shardblades were made to kill Voidbringers).  So I think that's a no-go.

Reading warbreaker, it sounded like Nightblood was broken from the moment he was created, so nothing to do with Shashara.  And Syl's killed men before, and that hasn't broken her (as the shardblades were made to kill Voidbringers).  So I think that's a no-go.

Oh ok, its been a while since I read Warbreaker, I was going off of the wiki. I'm going to have to reread after I finish rereading WoR. I know Syl's killed men before but wasn't that to protect, I was thinking if Nightblood was used not to kill evil, would that break him. I can't remeber a great deal from Warbreaker regarding Nightblood, does, or can he kill someone who is not evil?

Besides, even if Nightblood wasn't always broken he can't actually tell if Shashara was evil in the first place. :D

that's true, I just skimmed some of Warbreaker and a bit mores come back to me now.

I wonder if Nalan ever drew Nightblood and what would happen if he did.

Nightblood can kill people he deems 'not evil'. I don't think that he'd mean to harm them outright, but he almost killed Vasher purely by virtue of draining most of his investiture. In a normal person's hands, he would probably drain away the spark of life, and then go "why aren't you standing up? What happened? Oh no! My friend died of a heart attack! That is too bad, heart attacks are evil."

Nightblood can kill people he deems 'not evil'. I don't think that he'd mean to harm them outright, but he almost killed Vasher purely by virtue of draining most of his investiture. In a normal person's hands, he would probably drain away the spark of life, and then go "why aren't you standing up? What happened? Oh no! My friend died of a heart attack! That is too bad, heart attacks are evil."

Haha, that make sense. Well not sense, but sense in Nightblood logic.

• Chaos locked this topic