Szeth's Spren

lookingglass

We see Vasher doing several things in Warbreaker with Nightblood drawn that he cannot do his his own. (vaporize lifeless and a giant circle in the ceiling, for starters). You could argue that that's just Nightblood, but I could also argue that Kaladin's powers are just Syl. No Syl, no windrunning. No Nightblood, no vaporizing. Yes, Vasher has abilities of his own due to being Returned, and yes Nightblood is separate, but drawing Nightblood grants new powers, just like bonding a spren does. 

I disagree. Anyone using Nightblood could do those things. Like anyone using a shardblade could cut inanimate objects that doesn't mean they are defiantly bonded to them and are automatically a radiant. Kaladin used Pattern when he was in the shattered planes with Shallan yet he was unbonded to him. If he was he could do lightweaving.

I'm just saying that since Nightblood didn't grant Vasher any special powers that were independent of wielding him like gaining an extra heightening or something related to awakening on his own world, it is unlikely that he would be able to use the "bond" they have to access stormlight and utilise it the same way as Skybreakers do on Roshar. 

If Seon bonds supposedly should be able to grant some sort of power when relocated to Roshar when they basically did nothing prior, I'm sure the Nightblood bond will do something other than just vaporizing everything it cuts.

According to WoB it gives some sort of power but not like a nahel blond. The principle is the same but the outcome is different. Like how Vasher cannot Awaken on Roshar. I think you have to rewrite their spirit web so they could firstly access the main source of investiture and secondly adapt their abilities which might not even be useful in the new system. Like using an adapter when you visit another country.

We're not expecting an actual Nahel Bond though. He just needs powers. Powers that have never existed on Roshar before would actually be perfect. Nightblood barely behaves like a biochromatic entity as is.

And I haven't seen the part about awakening not working. Anybody have a quote of that? It sounds weird because between Z and Hoid the heightenings themselves function fine. The Divine Breath maintains potency as well.

Like how Vasher cannot Awaken on Roshar.

Just so you are aware, this has not been confirmed, nor denied. We do not know if it will work. I personally think it will, but due to using Stormlight instead of Breath, a time limit gets introduced to the equation, and the awakened object will eventually "die." That is wildly off topic though.

Nightblood barely behaves like a biochromatic entity as is.

I'm not really sure what you mean? A biochromatic entity is just a being. It's a binary definition. Nightblood either is or he isn't. How can he "behave" like one? All a biochromatic entity is is a thing with Breath that isn't a "generic" human. Sorry, I'm just curious by what you mean.

I'm not really sure what you mean? A biochromatic entity is just a being. It's a binary definition. Nightblood either is or he isn't. How can he "behave" like one? All a biochromatic entity is is a thing with Breath that isn't a "generic" human. Sorry, I'm just curious by what you mean.

Well, you can list out some predicted "behavior" for a substance in a given scenario due to some inherent property. Salt stimulates the sensation of "saltiness" in human taste receptors, dissolves readily in water that isn't already saturated, and probably breaks appart rather spectacularly when launched in a particle accelerator into a wall (not that anyone does this). Alkali metals are generally soft, easily cut with a knife, and react strongly in water and usually resulting in spontaneous combustion or explosions. Electrons repel other negative charges, can release energy as photons when excited, and exists in a three dimensional space predictable by a wave function.

Biochromatic entities, awakened object, lifeless or rReturned, are created by infusing Breath into the object via some command. They are (re)animated, and generally attempt carry out that command until the breath is removed. Not that we know what it is that Returned are meant to do, since they're all amnesiac. If the object used to be an intact corpse they retain some degree of intelligence relative to what they are a corpse of, and can be awakened in such a way as to interpret commands made post-awakening by using a set but changeable command phrase.

Nightblood. He's sentient, which is weird, but depending on what command was used specifically (the general result is "destroy evil" but maybe it was engineered to be a tad more specific?) and whether 1000 breaths normally do weird things like this that might be normal. It tries to follow it's command, though with debatable success as the command itself baffles it's ignorant mind. It seems capable of telepaphy through some kind of bond. Strange.

It also sickens any "good" person in the vicinity, drives any other person towards mass homicide before committing suicide directly when partially exposed out of its sheath, and consumes both souls and any investiture it touches indiscriminately while vaporizing matter on contact. This last part is just bizarre.

Well, you can list out some predicted "behavior" for a substance in a given scenario due to some inherent property. Salt stimulates the sensation of "saltiness" in human taste receptors, dissolves readily in water that isn't already saturated, and probably breaks appart rather spectacularly when launched in a particle accelerator into a wall (not that anyone does this). Alkali metals are generally soft, easily cut with a knife, and react strongly in water and usually resulting in spontaneous combustion or explosions. Electrons repel other negative charges, can release energy as photons when excited, and exists in a three dimensional space predictable by a wave function.

Biochromatic entities, awakened object, lifeless or rReturned, are created by infusing Breath into the object via some command. They are (re)animated, and generally attempt carry out that command until the breath is removed. Not that we know what it is that Returned are meant to do, since they're all amnesiac. If the object used to be an intact corpse they retain some degree of intelligence relative to what they are a corpse of, and can be awakened in such a way as to interpret commands made post-awakening by using a set but changeable command phrase.

Nightblood. He's sentient, which is weird, but depending on what command was used specifically (the general result is "destroy evil" but maybe it was engineered to be a tad more specific?) and whether 1000 breaths normally do weird things like this that might be normal. It tries to follow it's command, though with debatable success as the command itself baffles it's ignorant mind. It seems capable of telepaphy through some kind of bond. Strange.

It also sickens any "good" person in the vicinity, drives any other person towards mass homicide before committing suicide directly when partially exposed out of its sheath, and consumes both souls and any investiture it touches indiscriminately while vaporizing matter on contact. This last part is just bizarre.

Right, but saying that is abnormal is an odd observation, given we have no other Type IV entities to compare to. That's more what I was getting at. Each type is radically different from the other types (although they share something in common with their "neighboring" types). So saying Nightblood barely behaves like a biochromatic entity doesn't make much sense to me. This is wildly off topic though...

In terms of deviation from neighboring types Type IV seems like quite the outlier, because most of the differences so far have to do with retaining breath and obeying commands (or lack of those in Returned really). The vaporizing and soul drain came out of the left field.

If Nightblood grants an ability on Roshar like Seons it might be something equally bizarre that even some other theoretical Endowment splinter might not produce. Because really I look at the guy and I don't see much endowment going on. At all.

In short, the original intended point is that Nightblood is weird enough that I fully expect him to surprise us further on his endless quest to destroy evil. Whatever evil actually is.

I disagree. Anyone using Nightblood could do those things. Like anyone using a shardblade could cut inanimate objects that doesn't mean they are defiantly bonded to them and are automatically a radiant. Kaladin used Pattern when he was in the shattered planes with Shallan yet he was unbonded to him. If he was he could do lightweaving.

I got it now! I totally misunderstood you the first time. I thought you were saying that Nightblood + Vasher was the same as just Vasher, so I was really confused. My bad. 

• Chaos locked this topic