Using Hemalurgy to give your descendants Allomancy/Feruchemy

Sirce Luckwielder

I was wondering, if you used a Hemalurgic spike to give a full-blooded skaa (no noble heritage) a Metalurgic power, would he be able to pass that down to his descendants? Hemalurgy affects the blood and the person as a whole, physically changing who and what they are, so would it be theoretically possible? Any thoughts?

Yes, it is possible.

(note: paraphrased)

Q: Would Inqusitors’s kids have allomancy?

A: Not usually. It happens sometimes, but not usually. He then mentioned a little about sDNA, but that it’s not inherited as much as it is when it’s natural.

(source)

Edited by Moogle

Referencing the quote Moogle posted...

That always struck me as odd. Inquisitors aren't made out of skaa, or even muggle Nobles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they all made from Mistings? Now, it's obviously no guarantee that a Misting will have an allomancer child.

I suppose he's simply answering the underlying question? i.e. he's ignoring the fact that all Inquisitors are a subset of Mistings, and answering the question as it was asked by Sirce, which was, can someone with a hemalurgically granted metalborn power pass it on. Is that more-or-less everyone else's take on the question?

Throwing this out there just to avoid any possible confusion: I'm not trying to say that only Mistings could ever become Inquisitors, I'm simply saying that I believe all (or at the very least nearly all) Inquisitors were chosen from Mistings. There were never all that many Inquisitors, and they had the entire Steel Ministry to choose their "interns" from, and from what Marsh told us (and I think there was an epigraph in Hero of Ages, perhaps?) they prioritized Mistings, especially Seekers, so as to make more powerful Inquisitors. Basically, they wanted certain traits, and so few people were selected from such a large pool that the Inquisitors had the option of selecting people with not only the desirable traits, but allomancy to boot. And didn't Marsh express that despite some teething troubles, the fact that he was a Seeker was a more-or-less trump card getting the various Cantons to fight over him?

Natural Seekers would be stronger than artificial ones, and when spiked with seeking abilities would be able to pierce copperclouds, so yeah most inquisitors probably were of that category.

But if we're talking about the inheritance rate of unnatural sDNA, then the implications would be that a purely artificial allomancer can theoretically still have misting children.

Which gets me thinking. If we inbreed enough inquisitors with all 16 allomantic spikes enough can we create a mistborn after a few thousand tries?

Natural Seekers would be stronger than artificial ones, and when spiked with seeking abilities would be able to pierce copperclouds, so yeah most inquisitors probably were of that category.

But if we're talking about the inheritance rate of unnatural sDNA, then the implications would be that a purely artificial allomancer can theoretically still have misting children.

Which gets me thinking. If we inbreed enough inquisitors with all 16 allomantic spikes enough can we create a mistborn after a few thousand tries?

Mistings can have Mistborn children. Zane is one example. Wouldn't need 16 spikes, most likely.

Mistings can have Mistborn children. Zane is one example. Wouldn't need 16 spikes, most likely.

Mistborn occurrence is naturally impossible and rare with help. Might as well get more spikes, since it would probably help. In the meantime they'd have a makeshift mistborn substitute to work with for whatever illegal operations they'd need done to keep this going while having him do it with someone every night until they get something.

• Chaos locked this topic