Question about Szeth

Kipper

I'm in agreement with Sieduo The Creators words are law!!!!

Concerning Szeth personally I think he has been training his whole life and so can get the most out of his Honorblade. As far as non-Heralds go of course. Which makes him a virtual death machine compared to a shardbearer already ridiculous abilities.

Just my opinion though.

Chouta anyone?!

Aren't Shin who so much as try to fight something slaves by default?

He couldn't have been that before becoming Truthless or his Truthless status wouldn't matter much for justifying his murders. Storms, Shin are confusing despite how normal the country looks.

I'm ...

Concerning Szeth personally I think he has been training his whole life and so can get the most out of his Honorblade. As far as non-Heralds go of course. Which makes him a virtual death machine compared to a shardbearer already ridiculous abilities.

Aren't Shin who so much as try to fight something slaves by default?

He couldn't have been that before becoming Truthless or his Truthless status wouldn't matter much for justifying his murders. Storms, Shin are confusing despite how normal the country looks.

One completely unsupported theory of mine is that the Shin system works because of a sacred cadre of Honorblade holders.  If the low-status fighters ever try to overturn the social order, the Honorblades put them in their place. 

His own POV seems to say that he trained w/Kummar (which doesn't use weapons, so gets around the low status thing) before he was given the Honorblade as part of his punishment.  I imagine he could have been one of the hypothetical sacred cadre or just been trained w/the sword after he was sentenced for his blasphemy. 

There is WoB that he was a respected member of Shin society before his blasphemy, IIRC, so I agree that he wouldn't have been a normal fighter.  I can imagine members of the hypothetical sacred cadre were respected. 

I believe that he was well trained, which implies that there is a group of people proficient w/the Honorblades. 

Edited by hoser

If the interludes with the trader and his apprentice say anything though, their culture seems to value professions that produce things as the highest social class and people who kill and destroy as worthless though. Having a sacred honoerblade group above it all goes against that. I'd sooner believe they just leave the blades impaled into the floor and use them as last resorts.

If the interludes with the trader and his apprentice say anything though, their culture seems to value professions that produce things as the highest social class and people who kill and destroy as worthless though. Having a sacred honoerblade group above it all goes against that. I'd sooner believe they just leave the blades impaled into the floor and use them as last resorts.

Just because it doesn't fit their culture does not mean they won't do it. Brandon likes to include hypocrisy in his religions/cultures - Elantris being the prime example:

Hrathen uses a Seon to communicate, despite it being heresy.

What Moogle said, and ...

How do you explain Szeth's training?  He has a whole vocabulary including "lashings" and an understanding of what he can do.  Unlike Kaladin, who has to figure it out w/vague hints from Syl.  Szeth doesn't even have Syl to talk to.  If Szeth just picked up a sword that had been on the floor for millenia, he would not have been trained that well, IMO.

Well, I never said they didn't train with the things. Just maybe never killed with them, or that would be so hypocritical it would be impossible to cover up. New thought though, a lot of the surges aren't destructive by nature. Maybe they've kept the Blades around for other reasons? Miracle working? Szeth did think it was somewhat blasphemous to use stormlight for lighting fixtures in the WOK prologue.

Well, I never said they didn't train with the things. Just maybe never killed with them, or that would be so hypocritical it would be impossible to cover up. New thought though, a lot of the surges aren't destructive by nature. Maybe they've kept the Blades around for other reasons? Miracle working? Szeth did think it was somewhat blasphemous to use stormlight for lighting fixtures in the WOK prologue.

That's what I was thinking. Just like Dalinar smashed out a latrine and wondered why normal workers weren't given Shardplate. Maybe the Shin used the honorblades for more glorious purposes than fighting and killing... like farming! Dicing up vegetables with an honorblade! <<Segway into most useless uses for a shardblade thread>> chugga chugga

That's what I was thinking. Just like Dalinar smashed out a latrine and wondered why normal workers weren't given Shardplate. Maybe the Shin used the honorblades for more glorious purposes than fighting and killing... like farming! Dicing up vegetables with an honorblade! <<Segway into most useless uses for a shardblade thread>> chugga chugga

Yes! I wonder if I can change the topic title?

My personal theory is that Szeth became Truthless as a result of being in contact with a Herald. The Herald told him some sort of big truth like "Hey, the Knights Radiant are returning" or "Be careful or the Everstorm will return" and when Szeth tried to pass the information on he was told that it was a lie and made Truthless. That's why he's so angry in WoR when Kaladin's existence calls into question whether he deserved to be made Truthless or not.

Minor note: The Everstorm cannot "return" as there was never an original Everstorm. This is the first.

Possibly stupid question: is it really the first? I've always been unclear on whether or not it is in fact a new thing (as in never-before-created rather than something-recreated). It's described as something old and something new. Venli sure knew a lot about it, like wind direction, and Urithiru seems built almost specifically to counter it (being on the east side of the mountain). I guess it could have been designed and never unleashed before, but it's odd that the Stormfather would know about if so. Like, he even knows the name. Was Odium bragging about his totally cool new storm which is way better than highstorms to the Stormfather or something? Has there never been an army of listeners together who could summon it, if it's old of design?

As the Stormfather says:

“What do you know of this storm that the Parshendi unleashed?”

THE EVERSTORM. IT IS A NEW THING, BUT OLD OF DESIGN. IT ROUNDS THE WORLD NOW, AND CARRIES WITH IT HIS SPREN. ANY OF THE OLD PEOPLE IT TOUCHES WILL TAKE ON THEIR NEW FORMS.

Edited by Moogle

• Chaos locked this topic