Non Brandon RPs

Silus - Shard of Flame

Are we allowed to do RPs that aren't about Brandon's books?  Cuz I've got a few ideas that I think might find a good home here.  This just seems like an ideal space for it.  I don't know about you guys but I actually prefer small, usually single thread RPs to massive, board-of-their-own undertakings like Inquisition. (love Inquisition, but you have to admit that that thing is extremely intimidating through its sheer size)

If they are allowed, this thread can be used for brainstorming.

• 3 weeks later...

Before MBI, I was used to single topic RPing, which was sort of my intent with having a board like this here. I like that form a lot, too.

I'd need to do some thinking about non-Brandon RPs. Something to bring up in our next staff meeting, which will happen sometime in the next week or two.

Sure, this category is labeled "Community", but the other forums in this, besides General Discussion, are directly related to Brandon stuff. So my gut reaction would say no, but I do need to think about it.

Before MBI, I was used to single topic RPing, which was sort of my intent with having a board like this here. I like that form a lot, too.

I'd need to do some thinking about non-Brandon RPs. Something to bring up in our next staff meeting, which will happen sometime in the next week or two.

Sure, this category is labeled "Community", but the other forums in this, besides General Discussion, are directly related to Brandon stuff. So my gut reaction would say no, but I do need to think about it.

Honestly, i dont see why we shouldnt allow non-brandon RPing. I mean, sure, it's a brandon fansite, but what if a portion of the community wants to play some specific type of RP? Why make them go to some other place to do so, when they're all already here? For example, what if someone wanted to get some play-by-post D&D or GURPS goin on with others in this specific community? Why should we make them go elsewhere to do it, when they're all already here, and wanting to play it because they're here with this specific community?

Know what i'm sayin'? It just seems like it would come off kinda asinine and elitist to disallow people having off-topic fun.

Well, I'd prefer to keep them in this board rather than have them in GD.  Since having so much stuff (forum games, discussion topics, etc) on that board would make keeping track of the RPs more difficult.  We already have an RP board set up and it's a little sparse right now (understatement) so it would be good to start it up here.  Not sure if what I'm saying makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...

OOOOOOOR:

You could just include at least one extraneous Brandon element in every RP...

Like Harry Potter with mistwraiths, or D&D with ashmounts.

Just an idea, to make people flex those creativity muscles :)

OOOOOOOR:

You could just include at least one extraneous Brandon element in every RP...

Like Harry Potter with mistwraiths, or D&D with ashmounts.

Just an idea, to make people flex those creativity muscles :)

Or call of cthulhu with breeze in it. Mind twisting horrors + comic relief.

Well, the ones that I've played basically work by having each person take up the role of one character in a story and they write their posts from that character's perspective.  These posts together form a story.

How I've played it is that there's a host who keeps things running in the right direction, sort of like a GM for D&D.  He writes the premise, setting and rules for everything that goes on.

There's a lot more to it than that, but most of it depends on how people want to do things.  This is just some of the basics.

Well, the ones that I've played basically work by having each person take up the role of one character in a story and they write their posts from that character's perspective.  These posts together form a story.

How I've played it is that there's a host who keeps things running in the right direction, sort of like a GM for D&D.  He writes the premise, setting and rules for everything that goes on.

There's a lot more to it than that, but most of it depends on how people want to do things.  This is just some of the basics.

seems like fun

• 1 year later...

In about two months--when things calm down a bit--I was thinking of running ICONS somewhere online. It's a FATE-inspired fairly rules light superhero RPG. If people are interested, it might happen here.

(Or I won't do it, or I won't do it here. Things can change over a couple of months.)

And, given the implied setting of most superhero stories, it's pretty definitely not Brandon inspired.