The Great Reread - The Gathering Storm

Shivertongue

THIS THREAD WILL MOST LIKELY CONTAIN SPOILERS.

Discussion thread for the Great Reread, pertaining to book 12, The Gathering Storm. This is book number twelve, the first written - using extensive notes from Robert Jordan - by Brandon Sanderson. And for those of you who thought you could just read the Sanderson books... Well, YOU'RE WRONG. You're missing so much backstory! You don't know who leads the Band of the Red Hand, what saa is, and you don't yet hate Cadsuane NEARLY enough! Come back when you even know what I'm talking about without Google.

Everyone else, great job!

For information and to join The Great Reread, please go here.

• 1 month later...

In this book, Cadsuane mentions that she tested herself against the a'dam, trying to figure out a way to break its effects. I'm mildly surprised that she didn't think of this:

The a'dam will let you touch the catch, as long as you have no intention of opening it. So, it should be possible to concentrate on rubbing the collar or something of that sort while keeping "open the catch" in the back of your mind. Then when you brush up against the catch, you pop it open before the a'dam "realizes" what you have in mind. It might take a few hours to get the balance right, but it should work.

In this book, Cadsuane mentions that she tested herself against the a'dam, trying to figure out a way to break its effects. I'm mildly surprised that she didn't think of this:

The a'dam will let you touch the catch, as long as you have no intention of opening it. So, it should be possible to concentrate on rubbing the collar or something of that sort while keeping "open the catch" in the back of your mind. Then when you brush up against the catch, you pop it open before the a'dam "realizes" what you have in mind. It might take a few hours to get the balance right, but it should work.

Did you ever do something for a reason without thinking of the reason- on purpose? You might do it if you're not trying not to think of it, but then why would you be fumbling with the collar... What you're suggesting sounds rather impossible to me. Keeping something in the back of your mind is something used fairly often in fantasy literature, but I don't think it is realistic, and I would be disappointed in RJ if he used "keeping it in the back of your mind" as a solution to a problem.

The only way I could see it working would be if you could convince yourself, completely and utterly, that what you are doing with your hand is not opening the catch, but something else entirely. I'm not sure that's possible. Maybe via hypnosis?

(I mean, if this were the Kingkiller Chronicles a sympathist could probably pull it off, but the mental gymnastics in those books don't seem very possible to me either. :P)

Incidentally, this method could work for circumventing any Oath taken on the Oath Rod. All Oaths rely on the information in your own mind. Change that information, and you change how the Oath is enforced. But, well, again...probably not possible.

The only way I could see it working would be if you could convince yourself, completely and utterly, that what you are doing with your hand is not opening the catch, but something else entirely. I'm not sure that's possible. Maybe via hypnosis?

(I mean, if this were the Kingkiller Chronicles a sympathist could probably pull it off, but the mental gymnastics in those books don't seem very possible to me either. :P)

Incidentally, this method could work for circumventing any Oath taken on the Oath Rod. All Oaths rely on the information in your own mind. Change that information, and you change how the Oath is enforced. But, well, again...probably not possible.

Well, despite the honesty oath, Aes Sedai weren't exactly known for it.

• 1 month later...

Just finished up, and dark Rand was a fun read. The acceptance that LTT wasn't a random voice, but merely himself from another age was well written, IMO. The White Tower plot line annoyed me this time as much as it did the last time, it was just wrapped up much too neatly for my taste.

Another thing I have wondered is just how many Seanchan came over on the ships and how big is their army. Secondarily, how quickly are they able to break those they collar and turn them into weapons. Will there be enough time between the White Tower raid and the Last Battle for them to become useful?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not at this book in my reread yet, but I had a question about it. Was Egwene the only one who was fighting back during the Seanchan attack on the Tower? It seems like fighting back with the Power would go against the Third Oath, since the Seanchan were trying to capture, not kill, Aes Sedai. Though I suppose many of the other Aes Sedai wouldn't know what the Seanchan were trying to do.

I'm not at this book in my reread yet, but I had a question about it. Was Egwene the only one who was fighting back during the Seanchan attack on the Tower? It seems like fighting back with the Power would go against the Third Oath, since the Seanchan were trying to capture, not kill, Aes Sedai. Though I suppose many of the other Aes Sedai wouldn't know what the Seanchan were trying to do.

In addition to Egewene going bonkers against the Seanchan, there was another group Of Aes Sedai on the lower levels that were attempting to fight back, as well as directing the Tower Guard. As for them fighting back, first of all, the Aes Sedai weren't all that successful in fighting back. Regardless, they can use the power to defend themselves

"To save her own life, or her Warder's, or the life of another sister"

I think that they could easily say that they were doing one of those two things. Also, they may have believed that there were Shadowspawn fighting them when they say the Raken.

In addition to Egewene going bonkers against the Seanchan, there was another group Of Aes Sedai on the lower levels that were attempting to fight back, as well as directing the Tower Guard. As for them fighting back, first of all, the Aes Sedai weren't all that successful in fighting back. Regardless, they can use the power to defend themselves

"To save her own life, or her Warder's, or the life of another sister"

I think that they could easily say that they were doing one of those two things. Also, they may have believed that there were Shadowspawn fighting them when they say the Raken.

Okay yeah, I suppose it's pretty reasonable for them to think their lives were in danger. And now I think of it, the Seanchan probably were actually trying to kill any Warders.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...