Adolin Dueling Champion

Mimiddle04

Shallan does not hate shardbearers, Dalinar does not hate Shardbearers, Jasnah and Renarin do not... Most of the "Radiants" even love a Shardbearer or two.  Heck Renarin was a Radiant and a Shardbearer.

Kaladin is the only Radiant who hates Shardbearers I can think of.  They all can't hold Shardblades because of the screaming and they are probably a little appalled  by holding a "corpse."  But I don't think that any of them "passionately hate" the Shardbearers, only their weapons.

THey might hate the blades due to the screaming, but they are in a war to survival, to save all of humanity. THe blades are a potential asset to be used for or against them, so best ensure they are under their control.

Shallan did not remember what the Shardblades were until the end of WoR. Dalinar did not know about the true nature of the Shardblades until the end either, same goes with Renarin whom we can safely assume never liked his Blade. 

Kaladin does not technically hates the Shardbearers, Syl does: he is simply highly uncomfortable around them for reasons unknown to him until the end. 

Bottom line is we have not seen the Radiants reactions to the Blades now they are ALL aware of their nature. They now know the truth: the Blades are dying spren which scream in agony each time they are summoned. They may be useful tools, they are still suffering. I doubt the Radiants will be 100% alright with the Blades being used as they currently are. I bet someone is going to call Adolin out for having his nervous tic of summoning his Blade when stressed.

I certainly do not think the Kohlins will go for a power grab... It would look bad for them to do so... Besides, the only way to gain Blades is through dueling. Adolin is out of the circuit for the time being and even if he weren't I doubt the remaining Shardbearer would wager their Blades against him.

I think you're still glossing over the fact that the Kholin princedom is not the only group in the world whose lives matter.

Yes  -_-

THey might hate the blades due to the screaming, but they are in a war to survival, to save all of humanity. THe blades are a potential asset to be used for or against them, so best ensure they are under their control.

You seem to be missing one very key, critical point: the Shardblades are the living corpses of spren.  The Stormfather voices great displeasure with the Blade that Dalinar has.  Seeking only to use them in order to save humanity is possibly the greatest way possible to alienate all other spren.  

"Hey, Syl!  Remember your second-cousin-twice-removed who died in the Recreance?  Well, we found her Blade-form, and decided that Fred over there is going to use her.  You get no say in the matter.  Your voice doesn't matter.  We're in this to save humanity, so whatever you feel is clearly not applicable.  Be sure to tell all your friends!"

You seem to be missing one very key, critical point: the Shardblades are the living corpses of spren.  The Stormfather voices great displeasure with the Blade that Dalinar has.  Seeking only to use them in order to save humanity is possibly the greatest way possible to alienate all other spren.  

"Hey, Syl!  Remember your second-cousin-twice-removed who died in the Recreance?  Well, we found her Blade-form, and decided that Fred over there is going to use her.  You get no say in the matter.  Your voice doesn't matter.  We're in this to save humanity, so whatever you feel is clearly not applicable.  Be sure to tell all your friends!"

Dealing with the Blades will be a huge issue in the next book. I would not be surprised if Dalinar imposed a ban on them... How will it work out, I am unsure. Shardbearers will never accept to surrender their Blades. Adolin may, but I assume this will be very hard for him to do so, based on the relationship he seemed to have built with it.

The spren have tried to restore the swords, but have humans ever tried to do so? restoring the spren would allow for hopefully more full knights able to fight. Those linked to the blades have the biggest chance of healing them. Would shard blade wielders give up their blades in exchange for shard plate, which is most likely built in the refound city. instead of gained through batlle, they could be exchanged for plate.

We know each blade has its own patterns and names, so i wonder if the type of spren could be determined, so which knights are best to take them up.

The spren have tried to restore the swords, but have humans ever tried to do so? restoring the spren would allow for hopefully more full knights able to fight. Those linked to the blades have the biggest chance of healing them. Would shard blade wielders give up their blades in exchange for shard plate, which is most likely built in the refound city. instead of gained through batlle, they could be exchanged for plate.

We know each blade has its own patterns and names, so i wonder if the type of spren could be determined, so which knights are best to take them up.

The patterns on each Blade do tells us which order they belonged to. For instance, we know Adolin's Blade was an Edgedancer based on its design. However, it takes more then willing to bring back a dead spren. It is a VERY hard and difficult process, no doubt the kind that works once in per millennial is VERY specific conditions are met. We are unsure as to the requirements to revive a dead-Blade, but we can safely assume the wielder would need to be strongly compatible to the order, moreover he/she would need to be an individual this specific spren would have chosen. The wielder would also need to say the oaths and probably the generic one is not enough... so he would need to progress some without the guidance of a spren.

In any cases, the probability of a compatible potential proto-Radiant to come within hold of a matching receptive dead-Blade are extremely low.... I calculated it was less then 0.0001%. Adolin may really be an exception if he indeed succeeds as the entire fandom wants him to.

There is also the fact we have seen no other shardbearer treat his Blade as Adolin does. Even Dalinar did not offer as much respect to Oathbringer, his Blade for more then 30 years.

I sincerely doubt we are going to see the Blade being revived. It would be interesting though to filled all the known Blades descriptions to see if we can match them into orders.

just becuse it is difficult or near impossible, in no reason not to try. it could gain them good will with the other spren.

there are more than one type of void spren, so some type of forms might truly need blades.

As I said, the probability of any of the current Shardbearer to be compatible to their Blades is slim to none. As for trying, they would not even know where to begin. Saying the first oath is not enough. From there on, there is nothing much more they can do. It is not a matter of trying or not trying: it is impossible to revive the dead-Blades. Only a very rare occurrence of complete compatibility such as Adolin may succeed and he will have to figure out a lot on his own. Brandon also said "something more" then saying oaths would need to happen. We are unsure what this could be. As for the oaths, how many does he need to say? One, two, three, all five?

As for gaining the good will, they would need to put the Blades to rest, to bury them or something. We know many Blades are missing already. Where are they? Lost, hidden, destroyed? It is even possible entire orders are not represented in the Alethi Blades. From Dalinar's vision we know Windrunners, Stonewards and Dustbringers (I think these are the three, but I may have one wrong. However, Firestorm seem to be a Dustbringer Blade) have discarded their Blades. What did the other order do? Did they leave them behind or did they put them away for safe-keeping?

I do not get your last comment. Void sprens are not Radiant sprens: they are not Blades.

Why in Damnation's eleventh name would the forms of power meant to bring about the end of the world be incapable of fulfilling their job without access to weapons that did not exist in available form until after the forms of power were lost to history?

We know that each different spren give the parshendi a new form. Void spren give them powerful forms. SOme might even be monsters of a type that mere mortals can not stand against.

THe blades are clearly meant to fight something increadibly powerful and dangerous. SO the blades are meant to fight monsters. Something that normal sword or arrows can deal with.

Shallan did not remember what the Shardblades were until the end of WoR. Dalinar did not know about the true nature of the Shardblades until the end either, same goes with Renarin whom we can safely assume never liked his Blade. 

Kaladin does not technically hates the Shardbearers, Syl does: he is simply highly uncomfortable around them for reasons unknown to him until the end. 

Bottom line is we have not seen the Radiants reactions to the Blades now they are ALL aware of their nature.

You're mixing Blades and Bearers like they're the same thing.  Kaladin definitely hates Shardbearers.  He associates Shardbearers with lighteyes and therefore has an irrational hatred toward them.

Shallan doesn't hate Bearers, she loves a couple of them (Adolin and her Brother). Her feeling about Blades themselves might become that of distaste, but she still doesn't hate Shardbearers the way Kaladin does.

I agree their feelings toward the Blades has yet to be determined, but I don't see Shallan or Dalinar forcing Adolin to throw his Blade away or loving him any less.

• Chaos locked this topic