Selling excerpts of Brandon's Blog? Is this even legal?

So when browsing Barnes & Nobles online store for more Sanderson books to add to my collection, I came across this
pricing that seems to be charging $19.99 for what appear to be excerpts from Brandon Sanderson's Blog. Specifically on the Wheel of Time, I imagine some of his earlier blogs about the process of writing it and whatnot.

But I asked myself.... is this even legal? I mean, aren't Brandon's Blogs his own personal property? Is he giving consent to the charging of what seems like it should be free, available info?

What is going on here? The seller is attributed to 'Source Wikia' I don't think anybody is dumb enough to actually buy this product like this, but still. How does this even happen?

Pretty sure that isn't legal, but it doesn't stop people from doing it. I've seen self-published ebooks on sale on Amazon for Kindle--some of which are, for instance, for Star Wars. Because clearly, there's nothing wrong with writing and selling your own Star Wars stories, right?

The other thing is I'm wondering if it's just some bot compiling these things. May not be likely but has happened on occasion, with T-shirts and so. Especially if Source Wikia happens to be...ah...exceedingly prolific.

It's not legal. The problem here stems from Wikia articles having a blanket license that allows publication, and a Wikia had some of Brandon's blog posts on it. That Wikia corrected this a while ago by putting a different license on those blog post pages, but apparently that company didn't get the memo.

It's not legal. The problem here stems from Wikia articles having a blanket license that allows publication, and a Wikia had some of Brandon's blog posts on it. That Wikia corrected this a while ago by putting a different license on those blog post pages, but apparently that company didn't get the memo.

*Insert Office Space Meme*

It is a shame that stuff like this can happen, especially with how easy it is to scour the internet and wiki pages with bots that just compile whatever text. Glad to hear that I wasn't unnecessarily wary with this, though.

Does this mean you and Team Sanderson get to follow this link up with a Legal Smackdown? Or will you just send in the Kandra to do the dirty work? :P

• Chaos locked this topic