Rumors of the 11th Metal

Incheoul

Edit: The story and explanation is available here: http://brandonsanderson.com/shardhunt-wor/the-eleventh-metal/

Spoilers for the above: Kelsier was lead to find the metal by his mentor (who had a spike in him, and was likely being manipulated by Ruin). Kelsier was being trained to fight other Mistborn, and there was a noble (who was a Mistborn) experimenting with Allomancy, so Kelsier was sent in to kill the noble. Kelsier took the metal from the noble after killing him.

Edited by Moogle

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I actually never made that connection either. I read The Eleventh Metal short story, but never made the leap that his mentor was spiked and under Ruin's influence. I thought he was just a grumpy, unpleasant man and took the discovery of the eleventh metal as coincidence. Is there confirmation of this or is this just theory? If it's theory it's a good one that I could certainly buy.

Wow, I actually never made that connection either. I read The Eleventh Metal short story, but never made the leap that his mentor was spiked and under Ruin's influence. I thought he was just a grumpy, unpleasant man and took the discovery of the eleventh metal as coincidence. Is there confirmation of this or is this just theory? If it's theory it's a good one that I could certainly buy.

The mists retreat away from Gemmel, which is a trait only the spiked have. The mists swirl around Allomancers who aren't spiked.

Kelsier walked up to the fallen coin. The mists nearby dipped and spun in a pattern like insects moving toward a flame—they always did that around Allomancers who were burning metals. He’d seen it happen to Marsh.

“No,” Gemmel muttered. “No, I like him. He almost never complains. The other three complained all the time. This one is strong. No. Not strong enough. No. Not yet. He’ll learn.” Behind Gemmel was a pair of lumps on the wall top. Dead guards, leaking trails of blood along the stones. The blood was black in the night. The mists seemed . . . afraid of Gemmel, somehow. They didn’t spin about him as they did other Allomancers.

Not to mention:

• Gemmel is mentally unhinged, and like Zane he was probably convinced to do the spiking himself by Ruin to allow give Ruin greater control over him.
  • Gemmel knows things about Kelsier that there is no way he could have known, but are easily explained by him hearing Ruin's voice all the time, and Ruin knowing. He also knows things randomly, like where the enemy Mistborn is (the basement) that he shouldn't be able to.
Edited by Ookla the Infinite

Here's the epigraph:

More than one person reported feeling a sentient hatred in the mists. This is not necessarily related to the mists killing people, however. For most—even those it struck down—the mists seemed merely a weather phenomenon, no more sentient or vengeful than a terrible disease.

For some few, however, there was more. Those it favored, it swirled around. Those it was hostile to, it pulled away from. Some felt peace within it, others felt hatred. It all came down to Ruin's subtle touch, and how much one responded to his promptings.

Gemmel is clearly responding to Ruin's promptings, as was Vin post-TFE. If you don't have a spike, there's really no way for Ruin to influence you enough to make the mists retreat. If the mists retreat from you, you pretty much are guaranteed to have a spike.

Edited by Ookla the Infinite

Vins always had her earring right? Didn't the mist swirl around her in book one?

That might have had something to do with Vin being Preservation's chosen champion. We know that the only thing the spike seemed to do to her was to let her hear Ruins voice and prevent her from actually drawing power from the mists. I suppose the best answer would be that if you are the chosen of a god the rules are a lot more flexible.

The mists generally swirled around Vin, yes. However, at times and especially near the end of WoA, the mists retreated from her. I think it's just that her connection to Preservation meant she drew the mists much more strongly and so the spike only fully repelled them when Ruin really focused his influence on her. She pulls them strongly enough to actually absorb them when the earring is out.

Edited by name_here

• Chaos locked this topic