Future Radiant Ideals

Unhinged

What are some Ideals that you think that the Radiants are going to have to swear as the books go on? 

I've got two

"I will guide those who are lost" 2nd ideal for the Elsecallers

"no one is above the law" 3rd ideal for the skybreakers

remember the first ideal in the same for all orders "life before death strength before weakness journey before destination". Have fun but try to keep this as actual speculation rather than just a bunch of joke oaths.

"I will lead those who need protecting" 4th ideal of Windrunners

"I will save as many as I can, no matter how few" 5th ideal of Windrunners"

"I will bring justice to all." 4th ideal of Skybreakers

"I will not be blinded by the smaller picture" 5th ideal of Skybreakers.

"I will destroy those who bring evil" 2nd ideal of Dustbringers (I wonder if a sword can attract spren)

"I will help those others neglect" 3rd ideal of Edgedancer.

"I will see what others don't" 2nd ideal of Truewatchers.

"I will learn what was lost" 2nd ideal of Elsecallers.

"I will keep going, no matter what" 2nd ideal of Stonewards

"I will find those who need uniting" 3rd ideal of Bondsmiths

Those I once wrote in an old thread...

Dustbringers: "I will do what is right even if it is wrong."

Truthwatchers: "I will seek knowledge wherever I can find it"

And I think the Stonewards 2nd ideal has been announced as: "I will stand."

There's an old thread about this. I wonder if anyone got an Ideal from WoR right, I haven't re-read it.

Drat I guess I should have looked back further than a few pages before I decided that I had an original idea

someone even managed to beat me to the I will guide those who are lost idea 

Drat I guess I should have looked back further than a few pages before I decided that I had an original idea

someone even managed to beat me to the I will guide those who are lost idea 

Nah, I think it's good to get a new more serious topic as the other went in a more humorous direction. I brought it up for anyone who'd like to see it as well, about half the posts or so are on-topic and the rest is fun. I just re-read it (it's only 3 pages) and I can't say anyone was on spot, but there are some guess that are arguably close in meaning to what we saw in WoR. 

I also think Dalinar's 3rd oath will have to do with how he'll have to deal with the situation with his son... I have no idea what that could be though, but since it will most likely be his main issue over the next book, I think it is logical his next oath will be related. Something about "I will not create division over my beliefs" or "I will not divide over my beliefs"... I dunno.

Ideas?

Edit: Or it could be: "I will help those who are misguided" or "I will not send away those who have failed once".

Edited by WeiryWriter
please don't double post

My take for the 2nd ideal of Dustbringers is:

"I will not flinch even in the face of death."

They are after all associated with bravery and I believe that a truly brave person would stand against their fears. They would be afraid but fight nonetheless.

"I will lead when no-one else can."

That's how I see the 4th ideal of Windrunners.

Those I once wrote in an old thread...

Dustbringers: "I will do what is right even if it is wrong."

Truthwatchers: "I will seek knowledge wherever I can find it"

And I think the Stonewards 2nd ideal has been announced as: "I will stand."

I think their is a WoB that the ideals don't have set words, Dalinar could of said "I will build up instead of break apart". So "I will stand" is the same as "I will keep going"

The Stonewards are also Resourceful so 3rd ideal could be "I will use what I have, no matter how little"

Have any other oath been announced.

My take for the 2nd ideal of Dustbringers is:

"I will not flinch even in the face of death."

They are after all associated with bravery and I believe that a truly brave person would stand against their fears. They would be afraid but fight nonetheless.

Yeah I had thought of that one. Mine for more or less around the lines of: "I will die, but not today", stating how Dustbringers would be brave enough to face the greatest dangers, but would, at the same time, be compel to not throw their life away. It more or less means the same thing.

Yeah I had thought of that one. Mine for more or less around the lines of: "I will die, but not today", stating how Dustbringers would be brave enough to face the greatest dangers, but would, at the same time, be compel to not throw their life away. It more or less means the same thing.

After all, the oaths are about a certain idea not the exact wording... But the "not today" part makes me think of Arya Stark :ph34r:

I will listen to those whose voices have been unheard/forgotten.  -Elsecallers

Limelleth got that one very close in the last thread, but wrong Order.  At least, I see that as being functionally the same as "I will remember those who have been forgotten." 

And Kyats Rani, "not today" makes me think of the worst motivational speech in the history of movies; ie, Aragorn at the gates of Mordor.  "We're all gonna die!  But not today--I mean, probably.  I guess we might.  Some of you definitely will.  A few won't, though!  Go, fight!  Pretend that you'll be one of the 10% that don't die today!  Whee!"

I've always liked the "I will be a light in the Darkness" one that Chlehrma had in the other thread, too, even though I think it's too general to be an Ideal.  Seems more like the general goal of the Radiants, and then the Ideals are the ways they go about it, but /meh.  It still makes me happy :P

And the Stonewards always make me think of the song Tubthumping: I get knocked down, but I get up again, you can never keep me down.

And I find that I don't have anything to actually add, so I'll leave it at that before I derail the thread!

And Kyats Rani, "not today" makes me think of the worst motivational speech in the history of movies; ie, Aragorn at the gates of Mordor.  "We're all gonna die!  But not today--I mean, probably.  I guess we might.  Some of you definitely will.  A few won't, though!  Go, fight!  Pretend that you'll be one of the 10% that don't die today!  Whee!"

I see your point :lol: But I thought about "What do we say to the god of death? Not today" thing from GoT...

(how many ideals does each Order have?  :blink: )

Skybreakers-

• I will decide for myself my own Truth (2nd Ideal)
  • There is nothing I will not do to serve the Highest Truth, Honor lives on through me (3rd Ideal)

Dustbringers

• I will fight for everyone (2nd Ideal)
  • I will fight against no one, my true enemy is not someone who can be fought (3rd Ideal)

Edgedancers

• I will care when no one else will- I will never forget (3rd Ideal)

Truthwatchers

• I will see the truth- even when it hurts me (2nd Ideal)
  • I will bear the truth because no one else will- I alone will take the burden of knowing (3rd Ideal)

Elsecallers

• I will find my own meaning- I will discover what is lost (2nd Ideal)
  • I will keep on searching, I will expose secrets to help those who need help (3rd Ideal)

Willshapers

• I will change to help those who have given up (2nd ideal)
  • There is nothing I will not be to save those around me (3rd ideal)

Stonewards

• I will be strong for those who are weak (2nd ideal)
  • I will endure any hardship, even if I know I am not strong enough- as long as my friends stand by me (3rd ideal)

Bondsmiths

• I will unite even with those against me, so long as it is right (3rd ideal)

Hows that? Not bad for a first post, right?  ;) 

I'm still a bit new, so I may be a bit behind theorywise... .3.;

Of course it's not bad :lol:

But you may want to know that the 2nd ideal of Skybreakers is known. If I remember correctly it's "I will put law above all else" (or something along the lines of this). ;)

As for your ideal for Bondsmiths - the idea is good but it sounds too much like the Windrunners. It would be better without that last part (about being right).

(how many ideals does each Order have?  :blink: )

Each order has five Ideals except the Lightweavers who only have the first one

Skybreakers-

• I will decide for myself my own Truth (2nd Ideal)

Brandon confirmed the second ideal for the skybreakers it's "I will put the law before all else" 

I don't have the specific quote but I know it's floating around here somewhere.

Ok, Thanks for clarifying (both of you :P )- I'll admit I'm only beginning to skim the surface of the story, so I've probably overlooked tons of stuff o.o

So... Should I edit my previous posts with your corrections, or should I leave it as it is so people don't think you guys are making a fuss over nothing? I'm a little inexperienced with forum etiquette....  :lol: 

Ok, Thanks for clarifying (both of you :P )- I'll admit I'm only beginning to skim the surface of the story, so I've probably overlooked tons of stuff o.o

So... Should I edit my previous posts with your corrections, or should I leave it as it is so people don't think you guys are making a fuss over nothing? I'm a little inexperienced with forum etiquette....  :lol: 

Forums are pretty fast and loose, don't sweat it.

I'd point out though, that the Skybreakers are more about justice/the law than truth. 

Skybreakers aren't just more about the law, they put it before all else :D. That seems like a bit of a stupid ideal to have, the law is never perfect. That ideal does make me doubt if the original Skybreakers were good. They do seem a bit... Law before, life before death.

The 4th ideal of Dustbringers could be "I will obey what is right"

• 2 months later...

Does anyone else worry that the 5th Ideal of the Windrunners could turn out to be something like 'I will give my life to protect others, if that is the only way' (or a more elegant phrasing implying self-sacrifice)? 

Maybe I just have trust issues from reading too many authors who kill my favourites and am therefore as paranoid as Elhokar. Let's hope that is the case.

• 5 months later...

Found this WoB earlier

Interview: Mar 11th, 2014 Question
Can you write an unknown ideal [in my book]?
Brandon Sanderson
They are still rough so this might not be the exact wording but: "I will stand when others fall"

Going from what Brandon said, and even though it isn't exact, I'd say that would belong to either the Stonewards or the Releasers/Dustbringers

There was somebody that theorised that for the Orders' attributes e.g Windrunners = Protecting/Leading, the 2nd and 3rd Oaths correspond to the primary attribute whilst the 4th and 5th go with the secondary attribute,  and that the secondary attribute is one they must refine

Found this WoB earlier

Going from what Brandon said, and even though it isn't exact, I'd say that would belong to either the Stonewards or the Releasers/Dustbringers

There was somebody that theorised that for the Orders' attributes e.g Windrunners = Protecting/Leading, the 2nd and 3rd Oaths correspond to the primary attribute whilst the 4th and 5th go with the secondary attribute,  and that the secondary attribute is one they must refine

"I will stand" has been identified as the Stonewards 2nd ideal some time ago. Perhaps it was not complete, so to me this sounds like the same ideal. Probably Stonewards then.