Possible Way to Heal Testament (spoilers)

Could Shallan heal Testament by drawing her?  Her art seems to be a magic all its own.

Basis for the idea: 

1. WoK I-8: Geranid: the titular character discovers that flame spren respond to how they’re perceived and defined, with recorded measurements actually controlling their size.

2. Yumi and the Nightmare Painter,

Spoiler

and what Nikaro can do with a paintbrush to Nightmares… and Yumi.

On a related note, I wonder if this isn’t a possible synergy in Truthwatcher Surges.  They could use Illumination/Lightweaving to help guide Progression/Regrowth, possibly to heal people who regrowth wouldn’t be able to help. If they can use Lightweaving to help overcome someone’s self perception of disability.

Edited by Elder

2 hours ago, Elder said:

Yumi spoilers:

Spoiler

2. Yumi and the Nightmare Painter, and what Nikaro can do with a paintbrush to Nightmares… and Yumi.

This is SA forum, spoilers from other series and books should be hidden.

2 hours ago, Elder said:

Could Shallan heal Testament by drawing her?  Her art seems to be a magic all its own.

Basis for the idea: 

1. WoK I-8: Geranid: the titular character discovers that flame spren respond to how they’re perceived and defined, with recorded measurements actually controlling their size.

Spoiler

2. Yumi and the Nightmare Painter, and what Nikaro can do with a paintbrush to Nightmares… and Yumi.

I don't think drawing her is enough. Perception can do a lot, but Testament's soul is broken, something was ripped out of her and that needs to be fixed. Drawing her doesn't fix her soul, at most it can just affect her physical form, but not the soul as Testament's perception of herself is more important when it comes to healing. Shallan just needs to reswear her Oaths to heal Testament.

Spoiler

Questioner

The dead Shardblades, could you possibly get Stormlight into them to reawaken them?

Brandon Sanderson

Dead Shardblade, could you pump enough Stormlight into them? That alone would not be enough.

Questioner

So you would have to find someone to re-swear with oaths?

Brandon Sanderson

There is something broken on the Spiritual Realm because of the broken oath and simple Stormlight will not fix that.

Questioner

So say--

Brandon Sanderson

If the person were still alive and could re-swear the oath then yes.

Questioner

But someone like [...] could go [...] the Spiritual Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

It is not outside of reason but it would be very, very, very difficult.

Firefight release party (Jan. 5, 2015)

Shallan's drawings are magical because she's touching SR and Connections when she does that. 

Spoiler

Spun Lines

We’ve seen Shallan’s drawings appear to make people into “better versions of themselves.” But we also see her draw Yalb surviving the shipwreck, and later find out he did. Is she actually seeing the future in which she just happens to inspire people to be better? If so, this would make Wit’s warning to her in Oathbringer more concerning.

Brandon Sanderson

As will all sort of future sight/foretelling in the cosmere, it is not necessarily telling the future so much as seeing possibilities. And Shallan has… we’ll get into this in Book Five. Shallan’s a little extra good at this, for Spiritual mumbo jumbo. (It’s not necessarily just Spiritual mumbo jumbo, 17th Shard.) In this case, we have a very distinct reason why this is happening with Shallan that you might be able to put together. It’s pretty obvious. But you should be able to see these things with Shallan very early in the books. As early as Words of Radiance, I was sticking in little nods to this. She is able to grab glimpses of the Spiritual Realm in ways that even other Lightweavers can’t do. Lightweaving always has a bit of this, right? And this comes back to what’s going on with the Realmatic Theory and Plato’s Theory of the Forms as kind of a foundational text that helped me develop this in my mind. You’re seeing more perfect versions of who you could be. When she’s doing a sketch, she’s sometimes sketching not who you are, but who you could be.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 6 (Dec. 19, 2023)

13 minutes ago, alder24 said:

This is SA forum, spoilers from other series and books should be hidden.

I don't think drawing her is enough. Perception can do a lot, but Testament's soul is broken, something was ripped out of her and that needs to be fixed. Drawing her doesn't fix her soul, at most it can just affect her physical form, but not the soul as Testament's perception of herself is more important when it comes to healing. Shallan just needs to reswear her Oaths to heal Testament.

Hide contents

Questioner

The dead Shardblades, could you possibly get Stormlight into them to reawaken them?

Brandon Sanderson

Dead Shardblade, could you pump enough Stormlight into them? That alone would not be enough.

Questioner

So you would have to find someone to re-swear with oaths?

Brandon Sanderson

There is something broken on the Spiritual Realm because of the broken oath and simple Stormlight will not fix that.

Questioner

So say--

Brandon Sanderson

If the person were still alive and could re-swear the oath then yes.

Questioner

But someone like [...] could go [...] the Spiritual Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

It is not outside of reason but it would be very, very, very difficult.

Firefight release party (Jan. 5, 2015)

Shallan's drawings are magical because she's touching SR and Connections when she does that. 

Hide contents

Spun Lines

We’ve seen Shallan’s drawings appear to make people into “better versions of themselves.” But we also see her draw Yalb surviving the shipwreck, and later find out he did. Is she actually seeing the future in which she just happens to inspire people to be better? If so, this would make Wit’s warning to her in Oathbringer more concerning.

Brandon Sanderson

As will all sort of future sight/foretelling in the cosmere, it is not necessarily telling the future so much as seeing possibilities. And Shallan has… we’ll get into this in Book Five. Shallan’s a little extra good at this, for Spiritual mumbo jumbo. (It’s not necessarily just Spiritual mumbo jumbo, 17th Shard.) In this case, we have a very distinct reason why this is happening with Shallan that you might be able to put together. It’s pretty obvious. But you should be able to see these things with Shallan very early in the books. As early as Words of Radiance, I was sticking in little nods to this. She is able to grab glimpses of the Spiritual Realm in ways that even other Lightweavers can’t do. Lightweaving always has a bit of this, right? And this comes back to what’s going on with the Realmatic Theory and Plato’s Theory of the Forms as kind of a foundational text that helped me develop this in my mind. You’re seeing more perfect versions of who you could be. When she’s doing a sketch, she’s sometimes sketching not who you are, but who you could be.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 6 (Dec. 19, 2023)

Fixed.

I have reason to believe that reswearing oaths may not be enough.  Granted, the following spoilers are tentative, so salt to taste.  Or don’t read them. Up to you.

Spoiler

"Some breaks are messy," Pattern said. "A slice with a sharpened knife is clean. A slice with a dull one is ragged. Your break, done by a child without full intent, is like the one ragged. In some ways, that makes it worse. But it does mean there is still some Connection between you two."

"So..."

"So, no," Pattern said. "I do not think merely saying words again would heal her." His head pattern spun a little more slowly, as if he were contemplating something profound. "These numbers are unfamiliar, Shallan. Strange. Irrational. And a sequence I do not understand. I mean... I mean we are walking on unfamiliar ground. A better metaphor for you, yes. Unfamiliar ground."

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/535-c2e2-2024/#e16576

Though, if you read further in that, some of those things your quoted in take on some new significance as well.

Beyond tentative spoilers, I will also point out that Shallan’s Oaths as a Lightweavers are Truths.  Art being a form of expression, that could be a more powerful way of saying Truth.  

By no means do I I assume that it’s as simple as Shallan doing a quick sketch.  I imagine:

1. It would probably have to be her absolute finest work.

2. Significant amount of intent, maybe investiture, and Truth need to be in the mix. 
3.  Access to the spiritual realm

4.  Maybe freeing Ba Ado Mishram.

Just a theory though.

• Elder changed the title to Possible Way to Heal Testament (spoilers)