Words. A Philosophy

I just made this up.

What is a word? A collection of letters strung together to make... what? A vessel to carry meaning. What determines that meaning, but other minds who can interpret it based on their worldview and all the external factors making up their life? Words are my medium to evoke emotion. But why? What is it about a tiny string of letters that can make people do things? If you controlled the words, could you control the world? After a while, the words lose their meaning and become harder to use. We must learn word-conservation, not throwing them around so headlessly. If they are used carelessly, we will lose their power.  Even now, they are disappearing. I beg, prethe, conserve them with me. Bring back the old ones, those lost to the waves of time. Fulfill your destiny, and join me on the quest to discover the depths of a word.

Many of you use them, but do you care enough to discuss them with me? I guess we'll find out. 

10 minutes ago, WhyEverNot_8 said:

Deal! Words are confusing, but they're also super awesome!

4 minutes ago, Through The Living Glass said:

So like... etymology?

Nah kidding. 

Try reading through a lot of words that all start with 's' for fifteen minutes. That'll do it to ya'.

How can we use words to describe other words??

I NEED TO SOMEHOW WRAP MY DUMB LIL HOOMAN BRAIN AROUND THIS!

The concept of language itself is such a fundamentally complex and just absolutely crazy thing when you think about it.

It's deciphering meaning from the meaningless, form from formless. It's awesome

8 minutes ago, Wittles said:

The concept of language itself is such a fundamentally complex and just absolutely crazy thing when you think about it.

It's deciphering meaning from the meaningless, form from formless. It's awesome

Agreed!

(thank you for imputting 😊)